Still Life - Wine & grapes

sanctifyer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to enter a photo competition at work for 'still life'.

Please check out the photo below and tell me what you think.
I still need to use a red wine glass instead of a white wine glass and I need to fill it with wine instead of water!

That's only if I go ahead with the idea, though..

I'm thinking that the background makes the pic a bit bland. Not sure though. In fact I'm starting to think the whole pic is bland.

What do you think?
Thanks,
sanc

dsc03158copy5sl.jpg

No, I like your background, sanctifyer. It's mellow. It could be you find it bland because you don't have red wine in the glass, but think about red wine against that BG - it should look lovely! :)

Stemware is very important when doing a still life like this, so get the nicest piece you can, to enhance the elegant feel you already have here. I like your set up. The front of the bottle is a little dark, but you are avoiding glare. :thumbup: Silk (instead of cotton) on the bottom will catch a gleam of light and help with the romantic feel. Zoom in to fill the frame as much as possible, and you might even stand on a step-stool and point down, for slightly different perspective.

Try some more, you have a very nice start! :)

I like the top part, sharp against the background with good colour scheme. I however don't lkike the bottom part. What looks like a sheet and the grapes have little detail on them.

I think you need to light the grapes more so they aren't a black mass. The blue light on the right hand grapes is also quite harsh.

It's an ok picture but maybe you could try a slightly less common composition.

Thanks all for your great input..

Yes the blue tints to the right of the grape and the left/right of the bottle are the windows in my apartment.
Perhaps I should draw the curtains and maybe wet the grapes so they catch the light a lot more..

As for the 'sheet', its actually my pillowcase! :)
I'll see if I can get hold of some better fabric.. we are Indian so my wife must have some nice silk sarees..

A different composition is something I'll also try...

I'll post back sometime later with an updated shot.. need to get hold of a nice red wine glass, so watch this space!

Thanks again,
sanc

MyCameraEye said:
I cheated on my shot, at the time I did not want to drink any wine and I surly did not want to waste any so I poured a a little into the glass and then mixed it with some water as not to waste any wine.

MyCameraEye,

That sounds like a good idea.. The dilution probably gives it some good colour as well.:thumbup:

sanc

OK I've made some changes from the original.
1) I've taken the picture at night to prevent blue tints on the objects
2) added green leaves to complement the red bottle top
3) using a red wine glass filled with wine
4) using a silk fabric instead of pillowcase
5) changed the composition a little bit

Comments/critique please!!
Thanks,
sanc

dsc03203edit4upload0it.jpg

sanctifyer said:
OK I've made some changes from the original.
You've made big improvements from the original, :thumbup: however, I think you need more light from directly in front of the subject at the same level.

Keep experimenting; it's the best way and one of the beauties of digital photography with its instant feedback.:)

Have you tried a flash? Are you using a tripod?

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the advice.
I haven't used a flash and I'm using a chair as a tripod..
My camera is on the 'A' mode with the aperature on F5.6
I've found that the higher this aperature number is, the better the DOF.. but the capture time is much longer, so needs more longer time of steadiness as well..

If I use a flash, it seems to glare everything out and mess up the warm effect I have already...

Why do you suggest using another light source? are the grapes still looking dull..?

Thanks,
sanc

I haven't used a flash and I'm using a chair as a tripod..
My camera is on the 'A' mode with the aperature on F5.6
I've found that the higher this aperature number is, the better the DOF.. but the capture time is much longer, so needs more longer time of steadiness as well..

To gain more exposure without the tripod, you could find a table or other firm foundation, set your camera down on it, focus and use the automatic timer to trip the shutter for a hands-free, more steady period.

If I use a flash, it seems to glare everything out and mess up the warm effect I have already...

You could diffuse and soften the flash somewhat by putting something mildly opaque between the flash and the subject. Some people use a section of plastic milk carton!

Why do you suggest using another light source? are the grapes still looking dull..?

A light directly in front of and perpendicular to the subject will reduce required exposure times for given DOF and brighten the glass and the bottle in ways that the overhead lights are not doing currently.

Here's your photo with primarily the software adjustment for "Fill Flash" provided to show you what I mean. I feel you would want to eliminate the large light reflection in the glass as well by changing the camera's or the light's position :

Stillff2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back