What's new

Still Shopping what lens next????

You won't get any faster AF from the sigma 150mm than you will from the 70-200mm f2.8 L - infact the 150mm is a slower lens with AF overall. In addition I personaly don't find it "as good" at long distance shooting as my 70-200mm. In practice if I am shooting something moving and at distance its the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L that I reach for every time ( even with a 1.4 teleconverter its generaly faster than the 150mm even when using the limiter switch to remove the macro focusing distances)

Edit DARN that is a nice video cam shot! Just take the tripod collar of the 70-200mm (looks like it really does not need it there ;))
 
You won't get any faster AF from the sigma 150mm than you will from the 70-200mm f2.8 L - infact the 150mm is a slower lens with AF overall. In addition I personaly don't find it "as good" at long distance shooting as my 70-200mm. In practice if I am shooting something moving and at distance its the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L that I reach for every time ( even with a 1.4 teleconverter its generaly faster than the 150mm even when using the limiter switch to remove the macro focusing distances)

Edit DARN that is a nice video cam shot! Just take the tripod collar of the 70-200mm (looks like it really does not need it there ;))



Lots to think about, well I am looking for something that will be tighter and quicker then the 70-200 maybe stick with my 100mm 2.0 USM? HELP, recommendations are apprecieted. :(
 
Sorry but i think your a bit crazy ;) buying all this gear, we have hardly seen any shots yet

Well myfriend right now I am working 2 jobs and including weekends weddings, I am gearing up to do some damage, sorry I am letting you down but trust me it's on its way, however I like to keep a lowkey humble way about myself, I am here mainly for advice and actually use the search threads tool! :thumbup: I will have some heat coming for you guys to tear apart... I haven't shot much worth posting here yet...
 
Best advice I could give is to say have a look at the regular 135mm L that at least will cover the rough range you want and from what I hear has an impressive AF speed. I've no idea how it compared to the 135mm soft focus version of the lens no how it compares to the 100mm that you currently have. The upshot is though that a good prime lens can only boost your AF speed so far - after that you have to consider the camera body itself being used
 
If i had your selection of lenses i can see 6 lenses that would go
 
If i had your selection of lenses i can see 6 lenses that would go


HAHA so can I maybe more, lets here it... A lot of the ones you mention are mostlikymounted to my xti's or in my XTI bags shelved...

Im curiouse lets see??? Remember I shot Video with SLR lenses and DSLRs at the same time, my 5D is my second cam during wedding video shoots so thats why I have a lot of 50's etc...
 
If i had your selection of lenses i can see 6 lenses that would go


HAHA so can I maybe more, lets here it... A lot of the ones you mention are most liky mounted to my xti's or in my XTI bags shelved...

I'm curious lets see??? Remember I shot Video with SLR lenses and DSLRs at the same time, my 5D is my second cam during wedding video shoots so that's why I have a lot of 50's etc...
 
Best advice I could give is to say have a look at the regular 135mm L that at least will cover the rough range you want and from what I hear has an impressive AF speed. I've no idea how it compared to the 135mm soft focus version of the lens no how it compares to the 100mm that you currently have. The upshot is though that a good prime lens can only boost your AF speed so far - after that you have to consider the camera body itself being used


Wow good call!!!

largeimages
largeimages
112539.jpg
 
Last edited:
heh you can thank the canon group on flickr - some very good shooters there who are almost addicts about that 135mm lens
 
Best advice I could give is to say have a look at the regular 135mm L that at least will cover the rough range you want and from what I hear has an impressive AF speed. I've no idea how it compared to the 135mm soft focus version of the lens no how it compares to the 100mm that you currently have. The upshot is though that a good prime lens can only boost your AF speed so far - after that you have to consider the camera body itself being used


Wow good call!!! Just about a grand too? I think this might be the one I am looking for! :thumbup: :drool:

112539.jpg
 

Attachments

  • $112539[2].webp
    $112539[2].webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
You won't get any faster AF from the sigma 150mm than you will from the 70-200mm f2.8 L - infact the 150mm is a slower lens with AF overall. In addition I personaly don't find it "as good" at long distance shooting as my 70-200mm. In practice if I am shooting something moving and at distance its the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L that I reach for every time ( even with a 1.4 teleconverter its generaly faster than the 150mm even when using the limiter switch to remove the macro focusing distances)

Edit DARN that is a nice video cam shot! Just take the tripod collar of the 70-200mm (looks like it really does not need it there ;))



Lots to think about, well I am looking for something that will be tighter and quicker then the 70-200 maybe stick with my 100mm 2.0 USM? HELP, recommendations are apprecieted. :(


Faster aperture or faster focus, 85F1.2Lfaster aperture, 300mmF2.8L faster focus
 
Thanks for everyone's opinions it has really helped me! I am gonna make this purchase online before the end of my work day and need to decide between these 4 options for an indoor Bball tournament coming up.

1. 135mm soft
2. 85mm USM
3. 150mm Sigma HSM
4. 135mm f/2.0L
 
Last edited:
Both 135mm lenses? Can't you just edit in the softness into shots from the regular 135mm L instead of having the 135mm soft focus? You might be thinking about using both lenses at the same time on two different setups but with the same focus ranges I get the feeling you would end up using one over the other.

As for the 150mm it might be prime but I still don't think that - for longer range - that it beats the 70-200mm (though it could simply be my shooting is not as good - ie too used to the IS in the 70-200mm)
 
I am leaning to the 135mm L f/2.0 should have known I would go back to an L! LOL what do you all think??? Indoor Basket Ball shooting choices 1-4 getting down to crunch time for me...
 
Should I even consider Sigma
341918.jpg

Sigma Telephoto 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS


Would this out perform my 100mm USM?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom