Stole the wife's camera

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ganked her camera today and gave it a whirl. As always, I'm very open to C&C. Any help becoming a better photographer is much appreciated.

DSC05667_zpsdba5a9c0.jpg

DSC05764_Fotor_zpsfaac18a1.jpg

I edited this one a little VV
DSC05775_Fotor_zpsaacd570f.jpg

VV My little blur... He's a good blur, but he is a blur. I know I need to open aperture, increase ISO, increase shutter speed.
DSC05655_zpsd4daa501.jpg

I'd heard about HDR and it looked like it made for a pretty interesting effect, so I gave it a shot. Here's the results, and let me know what you think. The first one isn't a TRUE HDR image. It's an older (probably from May or so) one I adjusted the "exposure" up and down on (probably just brightness I would imagine) to make the three images.

HDRResult4_zpsaf119823.jpg

HoudiniHDR_zpse5ba31ab.jpg

BenchesHDR_zps89a77e65.jpg

The last one I feel should be centered a bit better, but I leave a lot of my pictures the way they are to learn from them, since you guys can't comment on something you can't see.

"Ganked" lol, such a throwback word

Next time, steal her glasses, too. Soft focus on several of these.

Pics of the child are underexposed, out of focus, and not framed optimally.

First; get down to the child's level to avoid the "looking down onto" angle. Use the flash on "fill". Make sure the camera is not focusing on the background object. If your subject is vertical, then hold the camera in "portrait" position.

I wish they weren't out of focus. Autofocus gets him and by the time I get the shutter off... he's moved out of focus. Hence why I said he's my little blur. He COULD have been in focus had I been faster with it, but I'm not at that level quite yet. Maybe manually focusing would be a better idea.

As for underexposed, I went by the meter in the viewfinder in manual mode. You're probably right about it. I had a hard time keeping up.

The blur isn't because he moved out of your focus plane, it's because your shutter speed is too slow and capturing him moving. Motion blur.

I wish they weren't out of focus. Autofocus gets him and by the time I get the shutter off... he's moved out of focus. Hence why I said he's my little blur. He COULD have been in focus had I been faster with it, but I'm not at that level quite yet. Maybe manually focusing would be a better idea.

As for underexposed, I went by the meter in the viewfinder in manual mode. You're probably right about it. I had a hard time keeping up.

Do you have a flash attachment? The light from an electronic flash will "freeze" motion to some degree, and a moving child is one subject that could benefit with some flash. Follow the directions in your user's manual regarding how to use the flash.

If you don't have a flash, learn to anticipate your child's movements and try to release the shutter when you think he will be still for a second. Alternatively, engage the child in some activity in which he will naturally hold still, such as sand or blocks play, and just when you are ready to take the picture, make some little sound to turn his eyes toward the camera. Then take the shot.

As to exposure, check the camera battery and replace it if weak. Then if all else fails, use the "auto" setting if your camera has that feature.

Use continues focus on anything that there is a great chance of movement and a pod for slow shutter. It's hard to get some adults to be still let alone kids.

Use continues focus on anything that there is a great chance of movement and a pod for slow shutter. It's hard to get some adults to be still let alone kids.

I had to look up what that is... HA. Anyway, now that I know what it is, that's going to be a HUGE help. Thanks!

Do you have a flash attachment? The light from an electronic flash will "freeze" motion to some degree, and a moving child is one subject that could benefit with some flash. Follow the directions in your user's manual regarding how to use the flash.

If you don't have a flash, learn to anticipate your child's movements and try to release the shutter when you think he will be still for a second. Alternatively, engage the child in some activity in which he will naturally hold still, such as sand or blocks play, and just when you are ready to take the picture, make some little sound to turn his eyes toward the camera. Then take the shot.

As to exposure, check the camera battery and replace it if weak. Then if all else fails, use the "auto" setting if your camera has that feature.

Well, the camera itself has a built in flash, and it is powerful enough for most things. I should have mentioned that it's a Sony Alpha a230 (it's an entry level DSLR if you're not familiar with Sony's Alpha cameras, particularly with this being a few years old), with the standard 55mm 18-55 f3.5-5.6 autofocus lens, polarizing filter during the day. I appreciate the advice. For some reason I've been afraid of noise and shoot primarily in ISO 100. Upping that would probably make a great difference. What's a good ISO for daytime/clear, sunny day shots that won't create too much noise? Would 400 be too high, or would it be right?

Sorry' I should have been more specific.

No, don't worry about it. You pointed me in the right direction. "A great teacher doesn't give students the answer. A great teacher shows students how to find the answer on their own." -something my dad said when I was a kid, probably pertaining to math class.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back