Storing GPS information in my Photographs

McCulloch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love taking photographs but the majority of my shots are unplanned and spur of the moment decisions. Ether on long drives ill just stop and take a shot from a lay bay or just go for a walk with my camera. The problem this "affliction" has left me with is an inability to remember where the majority of my photographs where taken.
I have no access to test GPS units and software my self and really have no idea where to start looking for what i want. All i need to do is be able to record GPS way points that i can latter add to my photographs all of which are stored in RAW format (I know to use EXIF i need to convert down to JPEG which i can do all be it reluctantly).
The end product im looking for is all my photos to be tagged with where they were taken and to be able to export all this to GoogleEarth so i can plot them on graphical overview. My budget is moderate, but i am still only an amature and cant afford to go to extreme yet, but i am looking for anyone with experience and success in this situation?

Stuart Anderson
----
http://stuartanderson.org

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not aware of any current cameras that are compatible with GPS units...although I seem to remember reading that this may one day be an option.

I have seen some digital cameras (smaller digi-cams) that allow you to attach a voice recording to an image. If you had a separate GPS unit, you could just record the readings after every image. Or, after every image, just take a snap shot of the GPS display.

Or maybe...just use a GPS device and get a small digital voice recorder. After every shot, just record the location and some sort of clue as to which image it was (image number or time etc.)

Ye I've been googleling all after noon and found a lot of software and units that seem to do the job but no reviews or information from people who are using the equipment. I already have a Nikon D50 (I'm sorry i had forgot to mention that :-( ) The Voice recorder seems like a nice solution but it would be come a pain when i have 50-70 images to go threw all at once, from different locations.

I carry a Magellan GPS unit with me and use Geosetter GeoSetter for Windows to combine the GPS track with my photographs. All you have to do is make sure the GPS time and camera clock are synced.

Any handheld GPS unit that can output a GPX or TXT track file will do exactly what you want.

I read an article some months ago about a company that was putting wifi right into an SD card for synching files, and they also had one that had GPS to tag your photo.

Couldn't find it in a quick search, but it's out there.

I read an article some months ago about a company that was putting wifi right into an SD card for synching files, and they also had one that had GPS to tag your photo.

Couldn't find it in a quick search, but it's out there.

Eye-fi.

Eye-Fi, Inc. Online Store - Upload photos automatically from your digital camera to your Mac or PC computer, Wireless Photo Uploads, Photo Sharing, Memory Card, Wifi Memory Card, Wireless Memory Card, Unlimited Geotagging - Eye-Fi

The GPS is based on Wi-fi access points, if you're not near a Wi-fi point it probably won't be able to tag.

Edited

If you have certain nikon dslrs, check out the GP21, it automatically geotags.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back