Strap Recommendations

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Needing recommendations on a heavy duty strap that won't break the bank, for heavy DSLR and lens (6-7 lbs). Not a big fan of cross body or over the shoulder, but that may be my only option.

I have the BlackRapid Double Breath. It can hold two cameras. I use that feature a lot with a crop sensor and long lens on one side and a full frame and wider lens on the other.
You can divided it as well and use either side as a single strap. It is very comfortable and when I have two cameras and big lenses I'm sure it is carrying 10+ pounds (4+KG). It is just under $140 USD. It might be more than you wanted to spend but I think it is an investment you will be glad you made.

BlackRapid Double Breath

I rarely carry two bodies anymore. I looked at the Double Breathe and also at the Blackrapid Street Breathe. The latter fits what I'm looking for better but I can't find any specs on weight rating.

Last edited:
Started with a Black Rapid. Switched to Peak Design Slide. No regrets.

Had no issues carrying the D80 and Tamron 150-600mm G1. Now, the D7100 and Sigma 150-600mm Sport. (This lens, alone, weighs what you're talking about) Their anchor links allow you to easily change between setups. Well thought out system. Look into it.

I rarely use a strap but I have also use Black Rapid in the past for my heavier lenses and found them to be secure and reliable.

another peak design user. it can be used as over the shoulder, across the body or around the neck. i like all of the extra quick release attachments so i can leave a set on my heavy lenses and a set on the camera for when i'm using lighter lenses.

I use the PD Slide on my D7200 + 70-200/4, and that works well.
The wide strap spreads the weight load of a heavy kit.
I wear it cross body. A heavy camera on the neck puts too much weight on the neck, and made my neck SORE.

One thing is the PD only has TWO connection points, that is a consideration for load distribution.
If you use an OpTech, I think you can do THREE connection points (2 on the body + 1 on the lens tripod foot). Have to research, it has been a while since I looked at OpTech straps.

I really like my BlackRapid Sport strap. I have used it for about 9 years and it's still my favorite, even after trying a few others. The shoulder pad is very comfortable, and I skip the extra piece that goes under the arm. The only change I made recently was to swap out the piece that screws into the tripod mount with a QD connector that goes into the socket on my L-bracket. I know you said you weren't a fan of cross-body straps, but I find with any significant weight, a simple neck strap causes fatigue pretty quickly.

I use the PD Slide on my D7200 + 70-200/4, and that works well.
The wide strap spreads the weight load of a heavy kit.
I wear it cross body. A heavy camera on the neck puts too much weight on the neck, and made my neck SORE.

One thing is the PD only has TWO connection points, that is a consideration for load distribution.
If you use an OpTech, I think you can do THREE connection points (2 on the body + 1 on the lens tripod foot). Have to research, it has been a while since I looked at OpTech straps.

One follow up.

Besides the PD strap, I use the bottom plate of a RRS "L-bracket." The L-bracket has a strap loop on the right, where I attach the right strap. That moves the right strap away from the controls on the right deck of the camera. Ever since I had my first 35mm camera, that right strap has always got in the way of my right hand.

I standardized on the AS tripod rail/clamp, so I would have an AS rail on the camera anyway.

Lots of good responses that seem pretty much divided between Peak Design and Black Rapid. Guess I need to look harder at these two.

Smoke just a note on peak designs
They do an adapter to fit manfrotto tripod heads. It fits BUT the fit is loose and not a good fit like own brand
I have one and ok it works but I don’t have the trust in the peak design plate that I have in manfrottos

Most reactions

Back