Street-Shooting Etiquette

ElizaMM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a course which included street shooting last year and the instructions were, Don't ask - just don't get into personal space. I was extremely uncomfortable doing this. I am going to shoot at ComicCon this week and I am hoping that people in costumes that they have spent hours creating will be willing to be photographed, so I am wondering how to approach strangers. I will be printing a card with only my name and an email address created for the event and will provide digital copies to those who want them - free, of course (hope I can stay organized and get the right pics to the right people). I am wondering how to approach strangers. Tell them their costume is wonderful? Hand them a card, first? How do others to this?

Assuming this is one of the major comic-cons, I wouldn't worry too much; there will hundreds or thousands doing exactly the same thing. What you should check is the event rules on photography. I would expect them to be fairly loose, but having never been, I can't say.

I would begin by talking. With a genuine smile.

When you're finished with one person, take note of the last photo file number, and jot it down on the card you hand them. They include the number when sending you an e-mail.

Thank you - I have just checked the event rules and they do seem loose; be polite--ask.
Thanks also for the number-on-the-card idea.

Like John, I was going to suggest checking the website to find out policies regarding cameras and photography.

I don't know where you took the class or who taught it but one instructor's suggestions may or may not work for you.

But this isn't street, this is event photography. It's similar but not completely the same. Your purpose isn't to cover the event which is another aspect of event photography. For your purposes you'll need to strike up a conversation and go schmooze! lol And get releases signed if you intend to use the photos (except for personal/editorial use or fine art prints).

American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage has releases, 'pocket' releases, and an app (and guidelines on usage). I don't think you have to be a member to use some of their resources.

edit- After reading your other post I would consider this to be a learning experience and not worry about releases, etc. I would plan on the photos being for sharing or personal use. You might want to look into resources if you do any more event photography.

Last edited:
Thank you. It is definitely a learning experience with a steep learning curve. The photos are for me alone, to be recorded with EXIF info printed on the front for quick reference/reminders, but I will keep your advice about releases in mind.

I photographed at our renaissance festival for several years. I find that people who spend a lot of time creating their costumes are delighted when others appreciate their work. In some instances I just shoot the action shots while in other cases I lift my camera and wait for a nod of approval from the subject. It really is on a case by case basis.

Have fun at ComiCon. Take your camera and get some great photos. Please share some of your work here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too am uncomfortable with shooting strangers, but Comic-con events are totally different - people want to be photographed, especially if you have a serious looking camera with a large lens. But they may be surprised and disappointed if you are touting for payment, most expect to see the images free on Instagram using the hash-tag.

They've gone to a lot of effort, and you expect them to pay you - good luck with that plan.

I've shot at Comic con events for fun, and lighting can be tricky. Try to find an area with good natural light, and invite people to pose in that area.

.... and basic comic-con etiquette - never mix DC and Marvel characters in the same scene! :)

A couple of random thoughts: first off, shooting should be no problem, and I think that the vast majority of people will be thrilled to be photographed. Second: consider that each group or person represents an email address--a potential contact for future reference, or potentially, for business opportunities. So when you photograph a group it's possible that you will want to jot down email addresses of as many people as possible. An alternative way to do this is to have a pre-established URL ready to go for your event such as ElizaMM photography.com/comicon/2019 or whatever. The idea is that by establishing the upload space URL before the event, you can pre-print all the cards and make it efficient and easy, but doing it this way, you eliminate the absolute need to get contact information and while this method makes it easy for you to pass out cards, it eliminates a potential opportunity for one on one exchanges between subject(s), and you, the photographer.

Conversely, by establishing an upload site URL ahead of time, you make it easy on yourself and very simple for people to go to the URL and look through and find their own photos.

Last edited:
A HUGE advantage at any cosplay event comes with knowing who your subjects are portraying. It's a great way to connect and get the shots you want. Can't tell the difference between Sailor Moon and Poison Ivy? That's a problem....

Last edited:
I would begin by talking. With a genuine smile.

When you're finished with one person, take note of the last photo file number, and jot it down on the card you hand them. They include the number when sending you an e-mail.
I don’t know if you can but have you thought of having a photography e mail account keeps the personal in box free
As someone else said smile and make intentions known I have taken a lot of photos in other countries and some things are universal a nod a frown a smile . I was in Tunis and wanted to photograph some building. Had guards the works. I held up my camera then mimed taking a pic the guard made it very clear
No photography!! And all this with not a word spoken A Brit next to me ignored this, and was arrested the building was only some high government or military building

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back