Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For the third time in not all that long a period, I've been contacted by family members telling me that someone who I've photographed for my Veteran's Portrait Project has recently passed away, and asking if they can use my portrait for the service, obituary, etc. Just today, I received an e-mail inquiring about the use of the portraits I created four years ago for Lieutenant-Colonel John Lynn Moffat, MMM, CD. He was a fascinating individual and as i did with many of my VPP subjects, I spent far more time talking to him and listening to his stories than I did actually creating his portrait.

I don't know why, but it's a slightly disquieting feeling to get one of these calls... almost like a comment on my own mortality.

Moffat_Colour_WEB.jpg

Moffat_BW_WEB.jpg

RIP Lieutenant-Colonel Moffat!

I think you have captured something of the essence of this man in these photos. As you said obviously a fascinating individual.

Fantastic that the family can have these portraits to remember him by.

Great work.

I think you have captured something of the essence of this man in these photos. As you said obviously a fascinating individual.

Fantastic that the family can have these portraits to remember him by.

Great work.
Thank-you!

Lovely story and as usual great images....
Thanks Jeff!

Yes, he was (as are most of "my" Vets) a truly fascinating person to meet and talk to. This starts to make the project seem relevant as I'm capturing them for posterity....

He was a fascinating individual and as i did with many of my VPP subjects, I spent far more time talking to him and listening to his stories than I did actually creating his portrait.

I'm not discounting your skill, but I suspect this is part of the reason behind why your Veterans Portraits, portray much more then a simple photograph. My wife followed an Anna Olson, cooking show for awhile. I remember a quote from her, "Baking may be regarded as a science, but it's the chemistry between the ingredients and the cook that gives desserts life". So it is with you and your subjects.

I'm not discounting your skill, but I suspect this is part of the reason behind why your Veterans Portraits, portray much more then a simple photograph. My wife followed an Anna Olson, cooking show for awhile. I remember a quote from her, "Baking may be regarded as a science, but it's the chemistry between the ingredients and the cook that gives desserts life". So it is with you and your subjects.
Wow... thank-you! I will take that as high praised indeed! :)

I can't say it any better than smoke665 - beautiful!

Death is disturbing to most people, especially when you've made a personal connection with the subject.
That you have been asked for the picture would seem to be very satisfying, that you were able to provide something of a final farewell to him. :icon_salut:

The other thing is, when you are dealing with elderly veterans, you know this is coming, eventually. Yet it can be difficult.

I can't say it any better than smoke665 - beautiful!
Thank-you!

THOSE are excellent! ( Not that I am surprised )..
What a tribute then and now.
:)

Death is disturbing to most people, especially when you've made a personal connection with the subject.
That you have been asked for the picture would seem to be very satisfying, that you were able to provide something of a final farewell to him. :icon_salut:

The other thing is, when you are dealing with elderly veterans, you know this is coming, eventually. Yet it can be difficult.
You're right, 'though I'm not sure it's satisfaction as much as a cross between pride and comradeship; maybe that's the same thing? Your point stands.

Yes but the older I get the more I understand they have such a store house of information to share, that sometimes it's good to just listen to them.

For the third time in not all that long a period, I've been contacted by family members telling me that someone who I've photographed for my Veteran's Portrait Project has recently passed away, and asking if they can use my portrait for the service, obituary, etc. Just today, I received an e-mail inquiring about the use of the portraits I created four years ago for Lieutenant-Colonel John Lynn Moffat, MMM, CD. He was a fascinating individual and as i did with many of my VPP subjects, I spent far more time talking to him and listening to his stories than I did actually creating his portrait.

I don't know why, but it's a slightly disquieting feeling to get one of these calls... almost like a comment on my own mortality.

Moffat_Colour_WEB.jpg

Moffat_BW_WEB.jpg

RIP Lieutenant-Colonel Moffat!
It’s a sincere tribute to both you and L-C Moffat.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of one of the people you photographed thru your veterans project. I find I remember a lot of the kids and families I've known and worked with and it still feels too soon to lose one of them, even if it was someone I knew long ago.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of one of the people you photographed thru your veterans project. I find I remember a lot of the kids and families I've known and worked with and it still feels too soon to lose one of them, even if it was someone I knew long ago.
Very true!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back