Strobist: Post your photos and setups

Just to keep it alive, and because I like seeing what the other Strobists are doing...

While shooting an Xmas party for a corporate client, I handed my camera to my assistant and had her snap a quick pic of me. (Her framing leaves a little to be desired, but it works lol)

Me-Xmas-2011-0001-XL.jpg

Pretty basic setup for consistent results (had 20+ couples to shoot that night). SB-800 into 43" translucent umbrella camera right @ 1/16th power; SB-800 bare & flagged on a boom above and behind the subject(s) for hair light @ 1/16th power. Fired via Nikon's CLS system. 1/60th ƒ/4 ISO 320 70mm

And yes, that's me. lol

Last edited:
I really like this thread! The creative use of light here has really inspired me to think about light as something that I can and should control when I make a photograph. I'd love to see more of what you all are coming up with.

Awesome stuff.

Got inspired by another post on this forum about holiday ornaments and light bokeh...so I decided to try my hand at it.

Merry-Chrsitmas-FMJPhoto-0001-XL.jpg

Darth-Xmas-2011-0001-XL.jpg

And the setup: SB-800 into Softbox CL, SB-800 bare & flagged behind the subject CR. Fired via Nikon CLS system. 1/128 power on both flashes. ƒ/3.2, 1/8th sec, ISO 100, 50mm
Xmas-Ornament-Light-Setup-0001-L.jpg

This is my first Christmas-themed portrait. It's also taken just about 1 year exactly since I first got into lighting

Nikon D7000
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8
(1) SB600 shot through a 24x24 softbox facing the subject
(1) SB600 shot through a homemade snoot facing the back of her body

111qmf6.jpg

9sxb4g.jpg

Hi
A new post on my blog, writen based on a very talented amatur+++ potographer from Poland.
Using two yn's in a softbox for main light and one light in a snoot for hair and background seperation.

You could read the full article here:
:
That is not your photo. Posting photos by others, other than with just a link, is against the rules here. This thread was not intended to be a space for you to advertise your blog.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my first flash, a little Christmas present to myself...and I was experimenting with it tonight so this is probably a whole lot more amateur than awesome, but it looked pretty cool to me so I figured I'd share. Setup is a Canon 60D with 430EX II hand held right of the camera about 10 ft, 50MM @ f1.8 & ISO 100 for 1/2 second exposure. Flash fired with the first curtain freezing the water drops, then shutter stayed open to capture their stream. Oh, and a rust colored gel over the flash to give the water that gold color.

The Fountain by Bill Rush, on Flickr

Not half bad Bill, creative use of gels and taking your first flash off camera...well done :)

happy.gif

Until July 2008, Hobby was a staff photojournalist with The Baltimore Sun. He runs Strobist.com, a popular blog devoted to photographic lighting techniques. The blog has an on-line monthly readership of over 300,000 photographers from 175 countries, and was named one of the 25 Best Blogs of 2010[1] by Time Magazine.

In June 2007, he took a year-long leave of absence from The Sun to blog full-time.[2] On August 3, 2008, Hobby announced in a posting on his blog that he had taken a buyout from The Sun along with about 100 staffers who left the paper at that time. He explained, "There was a hard staff reduction quota in effect, and given the way the blog has gone I thought it would be best if I counted toward it when they started lopping off heads..."[3] Hobby said he planned to use the blog as a platform from which to explore various photographic projects.

In June 2009, Hobby was named one of "The Five Biggest Photographers on the Internet" by Photo District News.[4]

Interviews:

* Jefferson Graham for USA Today,[5]
* Bill Crawford and Ed Hidden for StudioLighting.net,[6]
* Bill Millios for Rangefinder Magazine,[7]

Hobby has authored an article on a DIY photo studio in the December 2007 issue of MacWorld,[8] co-authored the book Columbia: A Celebration with wife Susan Thornton Hobby,[9] and produced a 8-disc DVD lighting tutorial, "Strobist Lighting Seminar".[10]

In 2011, Hobby released a new 6 DVD set entitled Lighting in Layers.

In this setup, what is the height of the camera left in relation to the subject's head?

Also, what is the height of the silver reflector in relation to the umbrella in front of it?

Thanks.

In this setup, what is the height of the camera left in relation to the subject's head?
Not sure what you mean by "camera left", but the camera was at about the same height as the subject's head, perhaps a few inches lower, at most. The umbrella and reflector are also set up centered at about the height of the subject's head, neck and shoulder.

Also, what is the height of the silver reflector in relation to the umbrella in front of it?
They're at the same height.

No problem. Always glad to help if I can. :thumbup::D

Practice set for a series.......

i-bPwR9vN-XL.jpg

Setup:D700 w/105mm f/2.8. PCB WL XL1600 camera left with 20° grid setup for split lighting, but aimed slightly in front of the subject and XL800 camera right XL800 (shot through window) with 10° grid for "hair light" aimed slightly behind the subject: triggered by Cybersyncs. The upturned mono was not used in this shot..... just didn't work out for me.

i-M6vdMVV-XL.jpg

A shoot in a REALLY cluttered old barn I did recently with a friend. It was at my uncles place and I thought there was only a tractor in there... I was wrong it was so full of stuff we couldn't even get in more then 2 feet. One strobe with soft box camera left @45 about 6 feet.

Barn Shoot by Ms. Cream, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back