Strobist: Post your photos and setups

MissCream said:
A shoot in a REALLY cluttered old barn I did recently with a friend. It was at my uncles place and I thought there was only a tractor in there... I was wrong it was so full of stuff we couldn't even get in more then 2 feet. One strobe with soft box camera left @45 about 6 feet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rebeccacream/6597941175/
Barn Shoot by Ms. Cream, on Flickr

I can't find the 'like button' on the mobile version but wanted to say...I like it. :)

first strobist attempt with my old nikon d90.. my wife and a sunset on the beach done with a single sb600 fired into a reflective umbrella c&c welcome

DSC_0355 by Andres Valentin Photography, on Flickr

DSC_0340 by Andres Valentin Photography, on Flickr

DSC_0341 by Andres Valentin Photography, on Flickr

DSC_0343 by Andres Valentin Photography, on Flickr

DSC_0344 by Andres Valentin Photography, on Flickr

DSC_0345 by Andres Valentin Photography, on Flickr

and one with my old right hand drive integra type r

DSC_0415 by Andres Valentin Photography, on Flickr

Welcome Tito!

Holy smokes, gear down "Big Shifter"...only post a few (1 or 2) at a time man lol Posting 15 is way too many for people to really look at and comment on.

I didn't make it past the 4th photo, so I'll comment on those.

#1 - Nicely done. The balance of ambient and flash is dramatic but not overdone, maybe if the foreground rock wasn't lit up, it would be a smidge better? I don't know, just a thought.

#2 - Love the lighting, not a fan of the composition, her pose, and her expression. The light cuts off her leg, frame it tighter so that shadow doesn't happen, or move the light. But this is about lighting and again, the balance is a good one.

#3 - It's good, but the color temps are off, when compared to the previous photos, and even compared to the sunset itself. It looks like you took the CTO gel off or something. But the angle is cool, the balance is good, just need to work on composition and color temp on her skin.

#4 - Not a fan of this one really. There's no depth. No background, no separation. It's like she's sitting on a rock at the edge of oblivion. Not your best of the bunch.

...alright I lied, #5 & #6 are pretty darn good. Good angle, good light balance, she's natural looking, and the sunset is gorgeous. Winners IMO.

Well this is technically not a critique thread but more or less share your lighting technique thread ;)

Last edited:
Well this is technically not a critique thread but more or less share your lighting technique thread ;)

True, however, the "first strobist attempt" part prompted me to critique. I'll curb it going forward, however I like C&C on my work, good or bad, so occasionally I provide it to others as well...hopefully in a positive manner, but it's C&C none the less and doesn't belong. Apologies.

My point still stands, about posting 19 photos lol

Nothing terribly tricky here from a strobist perspective, but I thought I'd share it anyways.

One SB-600 shot in to a shoot-through umbrella camera left, picture window behind the tree. The umbrella was set up so that there was a white wall a couple feet behind it, and I aimed it a bit above the subjects, so between the wall and the ceiling I got a lot of nice bounced fill light.

The camera was on manual so I could balance the ambient light to get the tree lights, but the flash was on TTL because I was working with kids and didn't have time to mess with settings. :p

DSC_5635.jpg

thank you c&c is always appreciated... i now have a canon 5d mark ii and a 580ex i will be doing some more shooting soon =)

thank you c&c is always appreciated... i now have a canon 5d mark ii and a 580ex i will be doing some more shooting soon =)
Nice! Can't wait to see 'em :D

And this is what happens when I get bored...I grab random collectables and photograph them, to practice and kill time.

Darth-Vader-Clock-0001-XL.jpg

Darth-Vader-Clock-Setup-0001-XL.jpg

Yes, I'm a Star Wars nerd, if you haven't guessed by now lol

Love a good strobist thread! Here are a few of mine :)

Canon 5D w/canon 24-105 & Canon 580 ex ii bounced off ceiling
14.jpg

Canon 5D w/Tamron 28-75 Alienbees RingFlash, Two b800's for rim light w/grids & gels
012.jpg

C'mon folks, I can't be the only one taking strobist shots!

Jan. 28th, 2012 - Timbertrail Elementary School annual Valentine "Father/Daughter Candyland" Dance.

I was given a black backdrop and two props to work with...so I made do. A simple 3 light setup, since I had to shoot over 200 girls & their fathers (!) That's the most I've ever shot in one gig....but it was SO FUN!

School-Dance-0001-XL.jpg

Setup Shot:
School-Dance-Setup-Shot-0001-L.jpg

Strobist: Vivitar 285HV into 43" reflective umbrella camera right (Key), SB-800 into 24" softbox camera left (Fill), SB-800 flagged & boomed behind the subjects (Hair Light). Fired via cheap radio trigger on the Vivitar, and optically on the SB-800's.

1/200th, f/5.6, ISO 250, 24-70mm lens.

Most reactions

Back