Student version of photoshop

Freelancephotog25

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not exactly new to editing, however mostly have been using other software. IS there any significant disadvantage to getting a student version of Photoshop CS5 and Light-room 3 over the normal one? My worry is that If I get plug ins for photoshop for things like HDR editing that they may not work because it is a student version. ANy one have any testimony that can help?

Not too worry the student editions are the same. Use the search form and look for the post from Kmh. He goes into specifics.

The programs are the same, just one is much cheaper!

Regards,
Jake

The only difference between the retail versions and the Student Editions is the retail versions EULA allows installing the application on 2 computers, and the Student Edition EULA only allows installing on a single computer.

Other wise, both applications are identical to the retail versions.

Adobe even allows commercial use of Student Editions in North America.

I know the OP is in the US, but note that this is a regional limited clause. In the UK for example the student edition licence does not allow for commercial use of the program. Other countries might also have similar clauses as well.

The only other reminder is that you will need valid student ID to prove to adobe that you are a student in order to get the product shipped/activated.

The only difference between the retail versions and the Student Editions is the retail versions EULA allows installing the application on 2 computers, and the Student Edition EULA only allows installing on a single computer.

Other wise, both applications are identical to the retail versions.

If I'm not mistaken...doesn't the Lightroom EULA for the student edition allow installing it on both OSX and Windows though? You get one install *per OS*? Currently I have it installed on Windows 7 and OSX (MBP and gaming rig) and the key works and registered fine.

Obviously Photoshop you can't install on both (grr) since it only works for the OS you bought it for. Huge ripoff in that regard, but still worth it.

and you cannot upgrade the student versions.
But as long as you are still a student you just buy the new versions of Student Editions, PLUS, if you are no longer a student you qualify for upgrade pricing for the retail version. In the case of CS, you can elect to upgrade to the Extended version of CS (currently $349) or the regular version of CS (currently $199). Upgrading and/or Student Editions of Lightroom are $99.

I know the OP is in the US, but note that this is a regional limited clause. In the UK for example the student edition licence does not allow for commercial use of the program. Other countries might also have similar clauses as well.

Yes, commercial use of Student Editions is restricted to North America only, at the present time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back