RobbyyKaiser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last edited:
Man, it looks awefully cold up there, full wet suits top to tail! I don't think we even do that in Winter down these parts, respect to those guys.

Had a look at your set, im a bit of an noob at all this so not sure how much information I can give, but I can say the light on First Flight looks nice. The look down shot is on the right track, the only thing I can say is that the surfer is looking out of the frame, the convention is to have him looking into the frame, which can be difficult with a surfer doing cut backs.

Perhaps the shooting position from land has a lot to do with getting the best shots. I would assume the ideal location would be for the wave to be breaking towards you so the surfer is coming to you and not away??

And you managed to combine two wicked pastimes into one - surfing and shooting - does not get better than that.

looking at the data of the first photo which is def on the right track imho - the program is AE. correct me if I'm wrong but on the Sony cameras isn't that aperture priority? I could be wrong but I think you want to shoot in Shutter priority for action sports photos. Other than that a bit green in the water, you might try fixing that in post processing. I like it. The other two photos appear to link to the same shot, which as Kiwi posted is a bit out of sorts on where the surfer is posed / framed etc. Also, that second photo looks really dark, hard to make out the face - I hope that helps. Keep shooting!!!

it was freezing here in jersey up until a month ago the first flight shot is by far my favorite shot i had ever taken and i actually stand on a jetty to take all my shots the surfers usually are to far out for my 70-300 lens so i stand on the jetty and shoot. some of the editing was done in iphoto on my mac not done on photoshop which i do have but decided to give iphoto a shot but thanks for the insight!

looking at the data of the first photo which is def on the right track imho - the program is AE. correct me if I'm wrong but on the Sony cameras isn't that aperture priority? I could be wrong but I think you want to shoot in Shutter priority for action sports photos. Other than that a bit green in the water, you might try fixing that in post processing. I like it. The other two photos appear to link to the same shot, which as Kiwi posted is a bit out of sorts on where the surfer is posed / framed etc. Also, that second photo looks really dark, hard to make out the face - I hope that helps. Keep shooting!!!

No shutter priority is for controling movement, aperture priority is perfect for this sport if you can't shoot manual

In the first shot you needed to be way over to the right and it would have been nice but your 300 was too short , i always wait for the waves to break towards me, the last shot you want him in the lefthand side of the frame to show the wave like this
1006036001_3DxDc-M.jpg

Plus horizon is off

Most reactions

Back