Switching Over To Full Frame D700 vs D800.

I've never shot a D700 or a D750 but I do own a D800 and it's a great camera.

I don't mean to sound as anything other than someone giving you an impression here but the D800 isn't a camera to take on lightly. It's a wonderful camera but to get the most out of it requires work and unless you are going to put in that work you don't want one at a wedding.

(if you don't already have an ongoing business please read the following)

Also, I would Strongly suggest that if you're going to shoot for money that you wait for your photography to pay for your equipment. How much it pays should be the determining factor to what you buy. The only thing that photography has to do with being a Pro photographer is that photography is what the pro has to sell. You can't stay in business if your product costs you too much to and leaves you with little or no profit.

Great Job Mike_E Very well said buddy they do say the d800 has alot to it the d700 is going for 1049 give or take now and days and the d800 is going for 1799.00 used there is a big difference in price maybe once i start making my money back on the money i spent for my gear that is when i will go get the d800.

BTW don't forget the lenses, I am not a wedding photographer, I am not even a pro but I think the lenses are actually more important then the body.
You need to know the lens combination that works best for you.
Most of the time these lenses aint cheap! :(

Are you going to keep your d7000 initially as your backup body, or is it funding the purchase?

There is little difference between the D750 Advanced Multi-CAM 3500FX II AF module and the D810 Advanced Multi-CAM 3500FX AF module.

The newer Advanced Multi-CAM 3500FX II gains 1 stop of capability in low light.

AstroNikon i will keep my D7000 since it only has 15k Shutter Count on it im going to keep it as a second body or when i shoot weddings ill have a nice marco lens on the D7000 for the ring shots etc.

As of today the D750 should be the best "wedding" camera for the money.

1.Has the better size files (36MP is a bit of an over kill)
2.Considerably better AF system then the D800
3.Is lighter and slightly smaller which is good for a wedding when photographer standing a long time with camera in hand
4.Better processor
5.Focuses in lower light -3EV
6.Better in low light (cleaner image in low ISO)
7.Better video camera (if that's important for you)
8.Faster FPS

Dont get me wrong D800 is a fantastic camera but it really is more of a pure portrait/studio camera.
I own the D750 and the low light flies it produces is just amazing considering its price
The tilting screen feels very solid to me, its obvious Nikon made it to be used and not break after few uses.

If you are stuck between the D700 and D800 I would go with the D800, D700 was a good camera and still is a fairly good one but technology has moved on and today it definitely shows its age, I would rather go with the D610 over the D700 for wedding but as I said I think the D750 should be the right camera for you.
Your choice of course.......good luck!
If I were in your shoes, the D750 would be my 1st choice. It just has the features needed most for the type of work you are wanting to do.

Last edited:
The D700 is getting old...

If you choose not to buy a camera based on the soul reason that it has a flip screen I think you are looking at things all wrong. the flip screen might just come in handy some day. I enjoy having one, I wont use it much but I definitely use it every now and again.

I would take a D750 over a D700 any day just going by what I have seen and read. the D800 is a fine camera, between the two of those I am not 100% sure which one I would get.

I have had a D700 and absolutely loved the camera. It was very fast and you could shoot super sharp shots in low light very fast especially with a grip. I would think you would want a faster camera for wedding. Maybe you have a D700 and D800. One thing about the D700 is the 12.1 MP size. If you need to crop you will see a noticeable difference here!
So be ware if you crop a lot.

I can't say much about the D800 since I have not shot with it. I have never wanted one because if the ginormous file sizes if shooting raw. I shoot a lot of HDR and working with such large files can easily burn through hard drives and processors. BUT you want to shoot weddings not HDR. I mention file sizes because if you get a D800 and want to process raw files you should also think about upgrading your Computer..

Now to add to the D750 I think is a happy middle ground. I just purchased one and really like it a lot. You say no flip screens but I must say WHY??? You are limiting yourself from some very interesting perspectives and I think something like that could make you stand out as a photographer. Not that you can't still climb up a latter or a chair and take the same shot or lie on your stomach and look through the viewfinder…BUT being able to lay the camera on the floor tilt the screen nail focus and exposure with live view is something great!!! Or take a birds eye view using live view same thing. You can see what is in focus and not just spray and pray. The low light capabilities is really good and I think better than the D800..this I also think you would want for weddings.

well thats my 2 cents good luck!

Well, yeah, personally I would definitely go with the D750. Thats the top choice from all Nikon full frame cameras right now.

- Third generation full frame version of the possibly best general Nikon DSLR ever, the D7000
- Newest AF chip not used in any other Nikon camera yet, so thats right now probably the best AF of all Nikon cameras, ever
- Face detection on a DSLR not in lifeview mode (the D810 offers the same)
- Of all full frame Nikon DSLRs, only the Nikon Df is even more lighweight
- Real mode dial, with quick U1/U2 mode access
- Flipscreen
- WiFi (though not well supported yet)
- Reportedly the new grip is excellent
- Though its not a lowlight monster like the Sony A7s, it offers pretty useable ISO 12k

But thats just me, I have different priorities than the OP.

The D700 shouldn't even be on your consideration list. It's old tech, and it's getting older fast. It *was* a good camera, it can still produce good shots, but it's old.

Based on everything I've read, based on the reviews I've seen, testimonials from pro wedding photographers, the D750 is the way to go in terms of a new full frame camera for professional wedding work.

If you crop a lot when you do weddings, the D800 might still be worth considering for the extra croppability... but other than that, it's the D750.

I don't know why the D700 is even a consideration. I also don't know why a swivel screen is a bad thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back