Tablet vs. Chromebook vs. ???

AlanKlein

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I'm looking for a small unit that will do email, messaging, surfing and apps like I run on my cellphone. Also streaming Youtube and movies. I want to be able to travel with it and use it on my couch. A cellphone is too small for me.

I am not looking to do fancy programs like Photoshop, only the apps I use on my phone.

No Apple products.

Which product is best?

I have a Samsung Tab 9 which is an older tablet. Check out some of the newer Samsung tablets.

It depends on what you want to use it for. I have a tablet, laptop, and a desktop computer. They are all used for different reasons.

Is a keyboard important to you? Touch screen?

There are Chromebooks with touchscreens that flip around so you can use it as a tablet when you don't need a keyboard. Kind of best of both worlds. I have specific uses that are more often found on a Chromebook, but even if I didn't, I would still gravitate towards them because when I need to type comments, as I am doing right now, I would much rather type on an actual keyboard rather than on the pop-up keyboard on a tablet.

I don't really have a reccomendation, but I've heard some pretty scathing reviews of chromebooks with ads saying they can do things that are beyond the spesifications of the hardware. So use a bit of caution and look for some independant, honest reviews before you lay out some cash.

For typing, I really value a keyboard. While tablets are OK, I really don't like typing on them so if you'd be on forums, or doing a bit of office stuff I'd be looking at a unit with a dedicated keyboard as it makes like so much easier. The other thing to think about is connectivity, I'd make sure you've got at least couple of USB ports, I also really like having an ethernet adapter as it can save you from poor quality wifi if it comes to it.

I'd probably opt for a basic laptop over a chromebook or a tablet.

I don't need a laptop. Why should I select a tablet over a Chromebook or vice versa? I want to be able to email, message, surf the web, use Google maps, and do apps like I have on my Android cellphone like The Photographer Ephemeris (TPE). I want a touchscreen like my cellphone. Keyboard is optional. No pen.

Sounds like a tablet would work for.

I've never had a Chromebook but have had laptops but for your needs I think a tablet fits the bill and is the way to go. Your intended uses are exactly what I use my tablet for.

I thought a Chromebook was like a laptop but I'm might be wrong.

OK So I'm looking at the tablet. I think some work with a pen. I'd rather use a touchscreen with a keyboard attachment. Any recommendations? Also, I use Verizon on my cellphone. Can you connect a tablet via wifi, blutooth, or a cable to your cellphone to use the Verizon phone as a carrier if there is no local wifi? Do tablets do this with wifi also?

What post-processing photo apps are good for a tablet. I'm not interested in buying a monthly service. Just something to use now and then. Currently on my desktop I use Lightroom purchased, and Premiere Elements when I'm doing video.

I bought a small Chromebook for DW a few years ago, she hated it, because everything was backwards from what she knew based on her use of a PC. Sold it a week later and bought her a 13" Dell, which she used up until recently when she decided to upgrade to another Dell with a SSD. She now has a 2 in 1 Dell 13" and loves it, offers the best of both worlds for her use. It's very compact, light, fast, and Windows, so everything is familiar for her.

Anything PC needs the SSD, or you'll pull your hair out waiting on it to boot. 13" sounds big but it's not really. Myself personally, use a much bigger laptop and a Samsung tablet (android) . For me it's a nice step between cellphone and computer.

I bought a small Chromebook for DW a few years ago, she hated it, because everything was backwards from what she knew based on her use of a PC. Sold it a week later and bought her a 13" Dell, which she used up until recently when she decided to upgrade to another Dell with a SSD. She now has a 2 in 1 Dell 13" and loves it, offers the best of both worlds for her use. It's very compact, light, fast, and Windows, so everything is familiar for her.

Anything PC needs the SSD, or you'll pull your hair out waiting on it to boot. 13" sounds big but it's not really. Myself personally, use a much bigger laptop and a Samsung tablet (android) . For me it's a nice step between cellphone and computer.
I see Samsung has a S5e Tab 6 Tab 7 and Tab 7 Plus. Other than size, am I really getting anything better for the more expensive and larger sizes?

Go with a brand x tablet. Chromebook is just a tablet, (or laptop), with Google's version of an operating system on it. It's the only difference. Will it work, sure, will it come with all the bloatware, adware and spyware that Google infects everything with, you betcha.

Asus makes a nice 10 inch tablet that has a detachable keyboard and runs Windows 10 home. I use one for travel and other than it's tiny size it's a duplicate of everything I have on my work PC. All my Office apps, One Drive shares, etc. And since you have a LR license you can install it since it's a windows OS. I forget how many installs you get, but I have it on 2 devices now.

For a tablet with a pen/stylus Samsung Galaxy Note is a good choice. The stylus has a button on it that works like a mouse click. But as an Android OS, not sure about LR on it.

But honestly, after typing the 10th long email on that touch screen you'll be wishing you had a keyboard.

Almost all tablets will connect with WiFi, Bluetooth and 4G/5G as an option.

Get one with all the ram you can, and add a micro SD card as well no matter what brand/model you get. You can never have enough memory.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back