Tamron 150-600, help needed

Sorry to necro an old thread but this is exactly what I am getting with this lens on my Nikon D810.

Under 500mm it's nice and sharp. Anything over about 40 ft with 600mm at f6.3 or f8 just looks like crap and goes straight in the bin.

Did you ever sort the problem?

Most of my issues seemed to be caused by atmospheric conditions with some being just limitations of a $1k 600 mm lens. The fine tuning helped but did not solve the IQ problem completely.

I found an old D model 400 f/2.8 that I use with a TC-14e and TC-17e with much superior IQ. Before getting the 400, I got the Nikon 200-500 but have some of the same issues with it as with the Tamron. Before the 400 or the 200-500, I got a used 300 f/4 with a TC-14e II for $1k that has great IQ but of course it is only 420 mm. If I had it to do over and was limited to under a $1500 budget, I would go the 300 f/4 used with a TC of course, none of this helps you with the Tamron, sorry.

Thanks for the reply, Ted.

I do actually have the 300mm f/4 with the 1.4x tc. It's a very good combo but, as you say, you're lacking in reach. I also have the 2x tc but. it's pretty unusable with the 300mm as the iq is shockingly bad. I recently hired a 500mm f/4 and the AF on that beast really puts the 300mm f/4 to shame! :)

The 400 f/2.8 w/tc sounds like a good idea. It may be a cheaper option than the 500mm f/4 I was planning on saving for.

I agree with you on the 300 and TC-20, I did not even try the 17 on it. The 500 is an extremely popular lens but unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to use one. So far, the 400 with the TC 14 and 17 have worked well for me. I am thinking of getting the TC-20 to try. If only I could afford a caddy to carry it for me. The 200-500 is much more compatible with an old man but I have many more keepers with the 400. If one could find a used 500 f/4 in excellent condition, that may be even better, especially for birds and small animals but I will have to be satisfied with what I have. Good luck in getting one that you will be happy with.

Under 500mm it's nice and sharp. Anything over about 40 ft with 600mm at f6.3 or f8 just looks like crap and goes straight in the bin.

Did you ever sort the problem?

I see the same thing. Methodology helps a lot, but that lens does much better with things closer; once you try to capture objects far away, the image quality kinda gets a bit trashy.

Hello Ted
Sorry for the delayed response.
Here is an image I took with a D7100 and Tamron 150-600 a while ago which shows all of your problems. I took about 100 similar images that day.

This was on Manfrotto tripod (loose), Mirror up, radio remote, no wind.
ISO 400,F6.3,SS 1/1250 at 600mm
You will see that neither your mage or mine is focused, either back focused or front focused. It's just blurry.
Given you also also used a D810, then we can look at the lens, not the camera.
I used back button focus, so the focus mechanism should be still.
I used VR OFF, so VR should be still.
Both photos have water and grass/reeds - maybe this is an issue.
But I suspect VR was still 'moving' and not locked off. Or else the lens was trying o focus?
I have carefully checked my lens for front or back focus, but it looks good.
I had has no further problems since then.
Your thoughts?
Mike

Hello Ted
Sorry for the delayed response.
Here is an image I took with a D7100 and Tamron 150-600 a while ago which shows all of your problems. I took about 100 similar images that day.

This was on Manfrotto tripod (loose), Mirror up, radio remote, no wind.
ISO 400,F6.3,SS 1/1250 at 600mm
You will see that neither your mage or mine is focused, either back focused or front focused. It's just blurry.
Given you also also used a D810, then we can look at the lens, not the camera.
I used back button focus, so the focus mechanism should be still.
I used VR OFF, so VR should be still.
Both photos have water and grass/reeds - maybe this is an issue.
But I suspect VR was still 'moving' and not locked off. Or else the lens was trying o focus?
I have carefully checked my lens for front or back focus, but it looks good.
I had has no further problems since then.
Your thoughts?
Mike
You cannot insert an image from your Desktop. Use the "Upload a File" below next to the Post Reply, More Options.

Thank you Astro. Here is my second try at posting the image
Mike

Attachments

• AAA_7606xx.jpg
    AAA_7606xx.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 181
Well it's definitely not shutter speed that is the problem.
any Shutter Speed above 1/500 generally you need the VR/VC turned off

Did you have the VC turned on? Try again with it turned off at that high of Shutter Speed.

Another is to learn how to set your focus point and not allow the camera to do it.

There is AF-S, AF-A and AF-C. You want to try on steady objects AF-S or on moving object AF-C.
You do this by pressing the button on the front left (the button is inside the lever that turn on AutoFocus and turn it off). Then rotate the front dial to change the Focus Mode.

Then if you press that same button rotate the rear dial to go from Single Focus point, to 9pt, 15pt, 39pt, 3D, etc. Try the single focus point or 9pt.

If you are too far away aim for the body and not the head otherwise it may get focus on something beyond the subject.

Artist: Mike Alexander
Camera: Nikon D7100
Lens: 600 mm
(Max aperture f/6.3)
Exposure: Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1/8,000 sec, f/8, ISO 320, Compensation: -3
Flash: Off, Did not fire
Focus: At 150m, with a depth of field of about 20m, (from about 9.3m before the focus point to about 11m after)
User Comment: COPYRIGHT Mike Alexander

Thank you Astro. Here is my second try at posting the image
Mike
Do you have a filter on the lens? Also you can't expect much at infinite and 3 stops underexposed.

Hello guys. Thank you for your responses.
Just to answer:-
No filter on the lens
Single point focus (on the birds eye)
AFContinuous
VC was off
Sun behind me
Manfrotto 055 tripod (loose)
Remote radio release
Mirror up
ISO 1200
1/1250th

So all should have been good.
I suspect that the lens was either still trying focus or the VC was 'still on'.
As I say, it only happened one day on about 100 images, but has not happened since.
Mike

Just to answer:-
Single point focus (on the birds eye)
AFContinuous

VC was off
Manfrotto 055 tripod (loose)
Remote radio release
Mirror up

ISO 1200
1/1250th

So all should have been good.
I suspect that the lens was either still trying focus or the VC was 'still on'.
As I say, it only happened one day on about 100 images, but has not happened since.
Mike
Mirror Up taking photos of something moving?
When the mirror is up the camera has stopped any Focusing process. The mirror reflects the image to the AF sensor. Go 1/4 down to the picture examples ==> How Autofocus (Often) Works

Thus the longer between the Mirror UP and the shutter release the more distant the moving object will be from the focus point. It may not even be in focus any more.

what is a "loose" tripod ?

Ok, so first recommendation.. stop aiming for the birds eye. Odds are good at that distance any even minute motion of the camera or the bird and you'll miss such a small focus point. Try aiming for his neck instead.

OK - aim for bird's neck. Thanks.
Swans were not moving.
I meant 'loose' Lensmaster RH2 gimbal head - loose as in 'loose enough to pan, but not locked down.

It happens with my Tamron 150-600 too. It's just not good at pictures beyond about 40 ft. Just stay in that range, that's what I do now.

It's true these budget long-telephotos don't render details as well at far distance, but it shouldn't look like that!!!

this shot is at 600mm, of considerable distance, and cropped in. It was still sharp:

Blue Heron by The Braineack, on Flickr

One thing I will say is that Braineack and AstroNikon have shown really good examples @ 600mm on D600's.

When I had my D600 I never noticed a problem with my lens. After the D600 I bought a D810 and then realised there was an issue. Same for my D500.

Is there anything specific that these last two, newer, cameras have that could cause this issue?

Food for thought.

Most reactions

Back