Tamron 150-600, help needed

Ted Evans

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for some help with the Tamron 150-600. Using a Nikon D7100 and a D800e, I get very good images up to about 50-75 feet but anything beyond that, the resolution is terrible. I am using a Gitzo tripod with VC off and ISO of 400-1000, F8 & SS of 600-1500. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
^^ not much prop blur ?? :)

I use the same lens on a d7000 and now a d600 with no issues.
I use mine for soccer, flying aircraft, the moon and a bunch of other things. And other than the hiccup below I have no issues.

Sometimes the AF doesn't work and seems to stop working from time to time. You have to disengage the lens from the body. Then it starts working again.

From your description is it not autofocusing?
can you manually focus something past 75 feet?

The first one is approximately 30', 1/1000, f8, ISO 400, 600mm, D800e on tripod, VC off.
_DSC3620.jpg

This one is about 150', 1/1000, f8, ISO 400, 600mm, D800e on tripod, VC off.

_DSC3640.jpg

The focus point of both images is on the eye and I have had the same experience with other subjects. There must be something that I am doing wrong. I will try it today using manual focus and see if that makes a difference.

I don't see anything wrong with the first image. The eye is sharp. Are you concerned that the shoulder and rest of the right wing are not?
The second one is a tougher call, but unless the atmosphere is super clear between you and the subject at that distance - typical with that lens (in my experience).

Have you done micro adjustment on the lens?

I don't see anything wrong with the first image. The eye is sharp. Are you concerned that the shoulder and rest of the right wing are not?
The second one is a tougher call, but unless the atmosphere is super clear between you and the subject at that distance - typical with that lens (in my experience).

I have been very satisfied with the images out to 30-40', it is only the ones at some distance that are unsatisfactory. I am happy with the first image as it is, the second one I am not at all happy with and it was a clear morning. Yes, I have fine tuned the AF. Thanks for the comments.

i have no issues with same subject/distance:

Blue Heron
by The Braineack, on Flickr

although it wasn't very sharp at 100%:

upload_2015-9-25_13-25-0.png
upload_2015-9-25_13-25-0.png

Last edited:
I notice the same thing with mine, closer subjects are nice and sharp but at a distance, not so great.

ill fool around with it this weekend. ill be taking it to the zoo on columbus day weekend as well.

That second one you are right. It looks like you took a photo through glass.
The tree branches when you zoom in looks like it has duplicate ghost branches. But at shutter 1/1000, f/8, 600mm, -0.5step it shouldn't do that.

was VC still active at the 1/1000sec shutter speed?

I have been very satisfied with the images out to 30-40', it is only the ones at some distance that are unsatisfactory. I am happy with the first image as it is, the second one I am not at all happy with and it was a clear morning. Yes, I have fine tuned the AF. Thanks for the comments.

He mentioned VC was off on both shots.

It may be time to send it in. FWIW, I have sent mine in twice for firmware updates and the turnaround times have been satisfactory.

Has anyone suggested it might be either atmospheric haze or turbulence?

No, I turn off VC when it is on a tripod. I do not understand why it can be so crisp at close distances and be so muddy at longer distances. It has always been that way but I assumed it was just my technique. The lens was sent back to Tamron when the AF failed and that feature has worked very well since. The AF fine tune was +16 before and now it is +2.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back