Teleconverter for Nikon 80-200mm 2.8D and Tamron and Sigma

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At the process of considering replacing my Nikon 70-300mm VR with a faster lens

At the moment I am collecting info on theSigma and Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 non VC/OS and Nikon 80-200mm 2.8D

Do they take Teleconverter ?

Also would love to hear your thoughts on one or all the lenses.

Thank you :)

I recently purchased the new Nikon 80-400mm and the Nikon 1.7 teleconverter.

No issues on the D7100 or the D800.

Cheers, Don
Thank you for your reply, currently the lens I am more interested is the Nikon 80-200mm 2.8D, the 80-400mm is not fast enough for my needs.

............At the moment I am collecting info on theSigma and Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 non VC/OS and Nikon 80-200mm 2.8D

Do they take Teleconverter ?.........

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Maybe/depends. The 80-200 not not take any of the current Nikon TCs.

Longer answer: No. The Siggy will NOT take any current Nikon TCs.

I compared the Tamron 70-200 2.8 non VC and the nikon 80-200 2.8 in the store and chose the Tamron. Tamron had built on focus motor and focused much faster than the nikon 80-200. It was also $400 cheaper new. Never used a TC with it though.

............At the moment I am collecting info on theSigma and Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 non VC/OS and Nikon 80-200mm 2.8D

Do they take Teleconverter ?.........

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Maybe/depends. The 80-200 not not take any of the current Nikon TCs.

Longer answer: No. The Siggy will NOT take any current Nikon TCs.
Sorry my bad, I am interested to know if these lenses will take converters, dont care about the converter maker as long as its a good quality converter.

I have the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, and it's just great.

There are some threads discussing and testing it. Here one of them:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...mron-70-200mm-f-2-8-sp-di-vc-usd-opinion.html

This is my sample shots taken with it and my D5200 body:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruimc/sets/72157641188279093/

A very sharp lens. Certainly the best buck for the money today, at the 70-200 family.

Good luck!!
Oh I do know the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC is a good lens but a bit too rich for my blood, I am interested in the non VC and mostly need to know if it will take a teleconverter!

Add a TC to your 80-200 and gain a measly 80mm, and significantly lower your image quality. If you absolutely MUST squeeze out those extra 80mm using a 1.4x TC, then get a Nikon 80-200 AF-S OR a 70-200 VR version 1, and use the two best lenses WITH A TC that are within your budget. It doesn't make sense to use a 1.4x TC...it costs you ONE stop in lost light; the 80-200 and the 70-200 VR-I are both degraded wide-open, so you END UP needing to close down from f/2.8 to f/4; add in the ONE -STOP of lost light ,and that f/4 becomes an effective f/5.6 f.stop...with an even lower T-stop.

I tried the 70-200 VR-I with two of my TC14e converters; you can SEE that there's a lot of corner imager quality loss with the TC and the lens wide-open at an effective f/4...

If you have a high-MP camera, SKIP the TC, and thus avoid ruining your image, and just CROP-IN at the computer.

Sorry my bad, I am interested to know if these lenses will take converters, dont care about the converter maker as long as its a good quality converter.

Well, Nikon's are pretty good, no?

But it would suck eggs to buy one for a Siggy and find out that it won't work on it. :(

I am interested to know if these lenses will take converters, dont care about the converter maker as long as its a good quality converter.

Yes, they take TC. If the 1.4x it's easier. With a 1.7x or 2x, AF may be a bit reluctant to work (and that's normal, due to the decrease in light).

TCs were useful tools back when resolution was low (sub 10mp dslrs, and/or high speed 35mm film). In this day and age you're better off just cropping, you'll get comparable if not better IQ and you aren't losing any lens speed.

Thank you all for your replies, you gave me a lot of information to think about.

chat with CostalConn .. he's used alot of lenses and TCs .. he convinced me with his knowledge to not bother with a TC on most lenses, only a selected few.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back