Teleconverter Question?

SouthLand

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am shooting now with a D60 and want to add a 1.4x teleconverter. I bought a Nikon brand 1.4x on Ebay and it says there is no lens attached? Does the D60 lack a motor that allows it to work properly? I'm a little lost...

I am looking to buy a D90 also. Is there a 1.4x or a 2x teleconverter that will work the same on both?

I have a 70-200-F/2 and a 50-500-F/4 that I shoot sports with. I know I add 1 to the F stop, so is it even worth it to add it to the arsenal?

Any opinions?
Thanks! :D

For the D60, autofocus is supported only with AF-S and AF-I CPU lenses, which are equipped with an autofocus motor. If the eBay seller said he was selling a teleconverter with no lens attached I presume all he means is you're buying ONLY a teleconverter and cannot use it w/out a lens to take photos.

Nikon says their "E" teleconverters will maintain AF with the D60 with SOME lenses.

.......I know I add 1 to the F stop,......:D
I think you actually add 1.4 to the f-stop.

nopes its 1 stop of light for a 1.4TC and 2 stops for the 2*TC. You might be bethining of the 1.7TC that nikon users have access to which would have a loss of light somewhere in the 1.4/5 area I would expect

What you want is a Nikon 1.4x teleconverter, either the TC14e or the TC14e-II. Both are functionally the same,the mark II is the newer version. Either would work with a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 AF-S VR-G lens. The TC 14e models will NOT MOUNT to non-AF-S lenses unless a small tab on the TC is milled or filled off. This prevents the rear element of some lenses from colliding with the front element of the teleconverter in what longtime Nikon users like me call a "crash n bash" situation. This 1.4x teleconverter costs one f/stop in light loss: f/2.8 becomes effectively f/4, f/4 goes to f/5.6,and so on.

The TC14e converters were originally designed to work ONLY with the original AF-i superteles like the 300mm f/2.8 AF-i, for example. These converters will not allow non-AF-i or non-AF-S lenses to mount because of 1) the safety tab which is there 2) because many telephotos or zoom lenses will cause crash n bash problems.

The T14e or TC14e-II both work well on the 70-200 VR; they cause a little bit of corner sharpness loss with the main lens wide open, but with the main lens closed down one f/stop, to an effective f/5.6, the 70-200 makes a pretty decent 280mm lens, with reasonably fast and sure autofocusing, and pretty decent overall image quality. The 2.0x TC20e....is not nearly as good on the 70-200. I do not own a Sigma 50-500,and am unsure if it has a rear element that is close to the back of the mount; if it does not have, you *could* mill down the safety tab on a TC14e and use it with the 50-500 Sigma, but the lens is so slow aperture-wise that it would probably be better to crop 50-500 images rather than use a teleconverter with it.

Wow Derrel! That was a lot of information! Thanks a ton! :)

Thanks for the input from everyone else too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back