Tell me what you think.

lol, trust me, we don't need it either. Waters levels in lakes and rivers are still at flood point right now from last week.

Heres my edit.

4712481648_ee1e40596f_b.jpg

A few from South Haven, Michigan.

I think #1 looks like a big mistake, #2 has potential, and the Sun being essentially dead center, and the dock(?) on the right in #3 weakens the composition, a lot.

What did you do in your edit? And why would it cause there to be a halo around the sail?
It's a narrow, long, vertical oval vignette, rather than a halo. I wanted to draw the eye to the closest object and separate it more from the background. I should have made it wider.

I first rotated the photo to address the crooked horizon and cropped away the left over white bits.
I then ran the photo through Topaz Adjust using the clarity preset.
I then ran it through Topaz with the clarity preset a second time.
Then I burned various areas.
I added the vignette and the black border.

i love the crop a lot.
i can't stand any of the edits. they all look far too ridiculous. way to processed looking.
but that is just how i am.

PS i live in Battle Creek. I actually used to go swimming at Gun Lake with my family when i was really young.

Ahh well get your camera ready now, cause I was just playing softball in Delton and the wind started blowing like I haven't seen in years. Now I have to go into work becuase of it!

i actually didnt. i just shopped it a similar way you did. i used alot more burning and saturation.

Last edited:
1 and 2 are a bit bright, to put it lightly. But I like #2 for some reason, even bright. It needs the horizon levelled though.

#3 looks good, but the stuff in the foreground on the right is hurting it I think. I'd crop it like this:
5r2RC.jpg

Cant see the original, but I like this one a lot, and prefer the boats in as well. Just level the horizon and itd be great. I like that the people on the closest boat are in silhouette... Id maybe crop some off of the bottom and the left and possibly clone the boat on the far left over to keep it in the frame. Maybe Ill give it a go.

Cant see the original, but I like this one a lot, and prefer the boats in as well. Just level the horizon and itd be great. I like that the people on the closest boat are in silhouette... Id maybe crop some off of the bottom and the left and possibly clone the boat on the far left over to keep it in the frame. Maybe Ill give it a go.

Thanks. I did level it though, maybe the leaning mast is throwing you off. It wasn't far off in the first place, I went maybe 2 degrees ccw if I remember right. Aligned it to a grid.

Hmm, I was aligning to the bottom of my browser, still seems the waters lower on the right, just a tad.

Hmm, I was aligning to the bottom of my browser, still seems the waters lower on the right, just a tad.

Looks like you're right.. checked with my browser as well. Unless the internet makes them crooked, maybe I goofed up or didn't save it.

A few from South Haven, Michigan.

4711810781_b02fa435cb_b.jpg

In youjr first shot, which I have re-posted immediately above my C&C, this photo of a guy in sunglasses standing on a concrete breakwall and gazing out over the water toward two boats on the lake, with one boat flying an American flag--I see what you were going for there...that blown-out, sun-drenched backlighting effect, where the overexposure sort of overwhelms the background setting and renders it with very little detail; sorry chief, but you missed by just "this much", as Maxwell Smart used to say on I Spy. The underlying concept or the look of this photo is very solid, and this type of photo reminds me of the work seen in mail-order fashion catalogues for urban hipsters and younger, college-age people. I think if the boat's mast flying the flag were just a tiny bit clearer, and a bit more of the guy's head were in the shot, it would be even better. But I have to commend you--there most definitely is a look there, and the concept is very sound. You almost pulled it off perfectly, but fell just a little bit short. So, even in that photo I see some real potential. Maybe you could massage the file a bit more in the RAW converter stage and pull back a tiny bit more detail in the background areas. Of course, if this were an advertising photo, you'd have a killer-good photoshop guru to finalize the look, and maybe add a texture effect,etc,etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back