The 5 Minute Challenge: SOOC Test

TheoGraphics

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.theo-graphics.com
I had a fun challenge last night that I've never actually tried before. A few other photographers and I were challenged to create the best possible shots that we could, straight out of camera, with only 5 minutes per model(s).

I had no idea how stressful it would be! It was a great test though, and made me realize that creating nice shots without the help of editing is not easy. These shots are all straight out of camera, with only a crop (on one or two) and leveling applied. I'm looking forward to challenging myself like this some more, as I think it will definitely help out my skills when I have to bang out a great shot in a rush at a wedding.

If any of y'all have ever done something like this, feel free to post up your images, I'd love to see them!

SOOC%20Test%20WM.jpg

Whatcha mean never tried it?
You should be aiming to do this every time. :p
8226266892_1c6d1940b1.jpg
8226267682_a688b727d3.jpg

A month of so ago, I introduced myself to a young couple on the beach, and asked if I could take some photos of them. They were from Canada, and were on their honeymoon. I set the white balance kind of warm, and proceeded to rip through a really,really FAST session, shooting in Aperture Priority auto, and thinking I would $_D3X8719.jpg$_D3X8782.jpg$_D3X8793.jpg$_D3X8843.jpg$_D3X8851.jpg

recover the highlights in post, since of course I was shooting in RAW+JPEG Fine. Oopsie...WRONG! I can't see jack squat up close with my shooting glasses on...I mistakenly set the capture mode to JPEG-only...so, these are SOOC JPEGs, right off the card, just shrunken down and not adjusted...I was pretty bummed when I discovered my mistake... "DOAH!!!!!"

Some nice photos there!

Whatcha mean never tried it?
You should be aiming to do this every time. :p
8226266892_1c6d1940b1.jpg
8226267682_a688b727d3.jpg

I meant more along the lines of trying a time challenge along with the SOOC shots. I also try to get my images as close to perfect SOOC as possible!

A month of so ago, I introduced myself to a young couple on the beach, and asked if I could take some photos of them. They were from Canada, and were on their honeymoon. I set the white balance kind of warm, and proceeded to rip through a really,really FAST session, shooting in Aperture Priority auto, and thinking I would View attachment 26868View attachment 26869View attachment 26870View attachment 26871View attachment 26872

recover the highlights in post, since of course I was shooting in RAW+JPEG Fine. Oopsie...WRONG! I can't see jack squat up close with my shooting glasses on...I mistakenly set the capture mode to JPEG-only...so, these are SOOC JPEGs, right off the card, just shrunken down and not adjusted...I was pretty bummed when I discovered my mistake... "DOAH!!!!!"

These are very nice! Great natural light and color. I don't know how much more I'd mess with them even if I had the opportunity to edit!

Most reactions

Back