The changing field of professional cameras

Smith’s Equipment
Sony α900 cameras
Sony 100mm ƒ/2.8 lens
Sony Zeiss 24-70mm ƒ/2.8 zoom lens
Sony Zeiss 85mm ƒ/1.4 lens
Sony Zeiss 135mm ƒ/1.8 lens
Profoto Pro-7 2400Ws packs and heads

Brian Smith is a Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer and one of the Sony Artisans of Imagery. His photographs of famous and infamous faces of the noteworthy and notorious have appeared on the covers and pages of hundreds of magazines. See more of his photography at his website,
www.briansmith.com.

So, no pros use sony cameras, eh? Want more examples?

skieur

Smith’s Equipment
Sony α900 cameras
Sony 100mm ƒ/2.8 lens

Brian Smith is a Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer and one of the Sony Artisans of Imagery. His photographs of famous and infamous faces of the noteworthy and notorious have appeared on the covers and pages of hundreds of magazines. See more of his photography at his website,
www.briansmith.com.

skieur

How about a photographer that isn't endorsed by Sony. Brian Smith is a Sony Artisan.

Edit: I'm certain you are taking this too literally. The comparison between professionals that shoot sony vs nikon or canon is microscopic. For every 1 Sony professional, there has to be 1000 nikon and canon professionals.

Last edited:
Smith’s Equipment
Sony α900 cameras
Sony 100mm ƒ/2.8 lens

www.briansmith.com.

skieur

How about a photographer that isn't endorsed by Sony. Brian Smith is a Sony Artisan.

Edit: I'm certain you are taking this too literally. The comparison between professionals that shoot sony vs nikon or canon is microscopic. For every 1 Sony professional, there has to be 1000 nikon and canon professionals.

You are right. The point is that Sony, Nikon and Canon are equally professional cameras.

skieur

We hereby declare you the winner of your own argument. Yeah! Yippie-skippy! Yooo-hooo! (fireworks! fireworks! fireworks!) [celebratory champagne-FRENCH, not California!]

Smith’s Equipment
Sony α900 cameras
Sony 100mm ƒ/2.8 lens

www.briansmith.com.

skieur

Yo I'd get all up in that. If Sony lends me gear and calls me a 'Sony Artisan' I'd happily ditch my Nikon stuff right now. I'm surprised there aren't more Sony pros.

From what I can see, Sony does intend to be a major player in the processional photography market. Is there room for 3?

From what I can see, Sony does intend to be a major player in the processional photography market. Is there room for 3?

That is what they intended with the Beta Max during the video tape years. Saw how well that worked out. Only time will tell if Sony ever becomes a serious contender. Currently they are not.

Sony is an absolutely horrible company. I would never purchase their products for any reason. I know they make a theoretically viable third choice in the dslr market, but their politics, their constant (usually failed) attempts at proprietary strangleholds on their customers, piss poor quality and ergonomics and make them a pariah in my eyes and the eyes of many.

Sony is an absolutely horrible company. I would never purchase their products for any reason. I know they make a theoretically viable third choice in the dslr market, but their politics, their constant (usually failed) attempts at proprietary strangleholds on their customers, piss poor quality and ergonomics and make them a pariah in my eyes and the eyes of many.

Manaheim, you couldn't be more RIGHT if you tried!

My wife has a point and shoot from sony from before we were married. I HATE that camera. I have to use the proprietary cable because I can't use a standard USB cable like every other camera out there. The reason why I have to use the cable is because I can't plug the proprietary memory card into any standard memory card slots on my laptop. Can't wait till that thing is gone.... probably will replace it with a G12.

That is what they intended with the Beta Max during the video tape years. Saw how well that worked out. Only time will tell if Sony ever becomes a serious contender. Currently they are not.
Back in the 90's all the sports photographers shot Nikon and then Canon developed a descent auto-focus and a big portion of the Nikon crowd jumped ship and went to and have stayed with Canon. Canon came with a game changer and that is what Sony will have to do to get a big share of the pro market to jump ship and go with Sony. They seem to be pushing this translucent mirror technology. I don't see it being the game changer that they need. They also seem to be selling some of their technology to other camera makers like Nikon. Does anyone see them acquiring Nikon in the future like they did Minolta? They've got the capital to do it.

Yo don't hate on the PS3. Dual Shock 3 uses mini-USB.

Good grief, Sony in conjunction with Phillips is responsible for the Compact Disk, Cassette tape, DVD I think etc. etc. They didn't get to be as big and successful by doing everything wrong. Anybody who knows anything about VCRs will tell you that Beta was far superior to VHS. Sony definitely screwed up where Beta was concerned but, they are still in the DVD/Blue Ray business. Sony also makes some of the best professional microphones money can buy. There contributions to the audio industry go without saying. There contributions to the video industry also go without saying. Now they want a piece of the professional still camera market. I wonder what percentage of all the digital cameras, from cell phones to large format, Sony is already making the sensors for? You folks who hate Sony so much probably have some of their electronics in your cameras right now.

RCA Victor and Phillips actually developed the Cassette tape. Sony was only one of 4 contributors to the development of the DVD. Shure and Neumann are pretty much the recording industry standard for microphones. Sony makes quality products, however Sony is the pre 2008 General Motors of electronics world. They try to be involved in such a wide variety of the field that they don't due justice to the multitude of lines that they have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back