What's new

The Coffee House

Just caught up with that exchange last night. Very colorful and made me glad it wasn't in Sensurround.

Today I have to deal with the fact that the construction we've been having done on our house seems to have gone off the tracks. I'm hoping it doesn't escalate to lawyers being involved. I have a headache already, but then I know the cure for that - Advil and COFFEE. I'd better go make some.
 
Good morning, everyone. I have my coffee in hand and will be heading out after the traffic dies down a bit.

Edit: Yeah, it'll be a little while: overturned construction equipment on US-301, northbound; where we gotta go.
 
Last edited:
I'm about to start at my first cup this morning and then I too have to head out in just under an hour to do placement readings.

On Tuesday I had the pleasure of reading an essay so good that I was still thinking about it hours later (she was placed into honors classes). The only problem with these rare treats is that they are usually followed up with an essay that starts like this:

"People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing. I agree with this statement for many reasons. First off, one reason I agree with this statement is because it's 100% true in my opinion. Another reason I agree with this statement is because I personally know a few people that has jobs and they do not enjoy their jobs at all but they continue to work at that job. Also, I agree because there are many people that doesn't like going to school but they do because it will be beneficial to them in the future. Still another reason I agree is because I myself and others such as my family and friends don't like paying bills but we do."
 
Just finished my first of three cups of Maxwell House Colombian, when finished with the coffee who knows what I will do today.

Still learning how to be retired. :biggrin-93:
 
I'm about to start at my first cup this morning and then I too have to head out in just under an hour to do placement readings.

On Tuesday I had the pleasure of reading an essay so good that I was still thinking about it hours later (she was placed into honors classes). The only problem with these rare treats is that they are usually followed up with an essay that starts like this:

"People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing. I agree with this statement for many reasons. First off, one reason I agree with this statement is because it's 100% true in my opinion. Another reason I agree with this statement is because I personally know a few people that has jobs and they do not enjoy their jobs at all but they continue to work at that job. Also, I agree because there are many people that doesn't like going to school but they do because it will be beneficial to them in the future. Still another reason I agree is because I myself and others such as my family and friends don't like paying bills but we do."
That's a winner -- real T/A material.
 
uhh. woke up. before i even returned back from the kitchen with my coffee cup my darling wife told me she had a list of things waiting on the table she needed money for and asked me why i hadn't done the family photo Christmas pic yet and if i would do it this afternoon so she can mail out Christmas cards... Am i really running that late?
 
There are three weeks left in the year.
 
Warhorse, congrats on the retirement!
Limr, how do you begin to grade something like that? I still remember those nuns teaching us to 'diagram' the sentence.
Am about done with my coffee and on to my orange juice soon :)
Nancy
 
Well, Lenny, I didn't see any there/their/they're or to/too/two errors, and the words are spelled correctly. They may not go well with each other, but they are spelled correctly.
 
I didn't have to actually grade that one. In addition to teaching and my admin job at the college, I also am one of the groups that reads the essays that new applicants write for their placement exam.

(It's an open-admission community college, and new students have to take an exam to check the level of their math, reading, and writing skills. If they score below a certain threshold, they take remedial classes.)

That student was placed in remedial writing classes.

Having said that, some of those students end up in my classes (these days I'm teaching the remedial writing classes for international students) so I do eventually have to figure out how to grade things like that. :boggled:

This is one reason there's always bourbon in the house ;)
 
Well, Lenny, I didn't see any there/their/they're or to/too/two errors, and the words are spelled correctly. They may not go well with each other, but they are spelled correctly.

True - she (or he - can't even remember) did use 'their' correction. Of course, people 'has' jobs and 'doesn't' like them, 50% of the words were unnecessary, and the first 'reason' is a stellar example of circular logic, but hey! She or he can spell :)
 
She or he can spell :)
More likely they know what the red underlines mean.;)

...................
I'm sorry, Nancy - good morning.
 
Well, Lenny, I didn't see any there/their/they're or to/too/two errors, and the words are spelled correctly. They may not go well with each other, but they are spelled correctly.

True - she (or he - can't even remember) did use 'their' correction. Of course, people 'has' jobs and 'doesn't' like them, 50% of the words were unnecessary, and the first 'reason' is a stellar example of circular logic, but hey! She or he can spell :)
So you caught the circular logic ... good. lol
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom