What's new

The Coffee House

The rain in Southern California falls mainly on my house.

Buenos Dias Coffee Hosers. 55F and it raining cats & dogs. No paper yet. I hate LA when the sky falls. People here think its the end of the world. The phone buzzed at 5:00 a.m. with an emergency text message warning everybody with a cell phone to beware of flash floods.
 
Gary, that is useful advice if you're camping in a dry riverbed.
 
Gary, that is useful advice if you're camping in a dry riverbed.
Au contraire ... our foothills and deserts are a wonderland of flash flooding. You're right that a riverbed is an obvious choice of where not to be, but once a flash flood begins it no longer follows the laws of nature ... ala the path of least resistance. Most flash floods are more mud-like than water, filled with rocks, trees, et al. Once it starts moving ... it makes it's own path. The mountains which create the LA Basin are quite steep. The 60 mile long San Gabriel River is one of the steepest (fall off) rivers in the country, starting in the 10,000' high San Gabriel Mountains, transversing through the middle of the LA Basin until it empties into the Pacific. The foothills have been hit hard by fires leaving the ground void of vegetation to slow the runoff and roots to hold the soil. All/most of the communities in the foothills are potentially in danger, many have already been evacuated and a few have already been hit by flash floods with loss of homes and property.

The problem with our rain, what little we get, it that it tends to come all at once. Combine that with heavy fires and 10,000' mountains acting like a launching ramp ... flash floods can occur almost anywhere along the foothills. It takes an hour or less to drive from the ocean to the foothills.
 
Sounds like you're going to need your surfboard!
 
In other news, I just finished teaching my last class for the semester. Exams for both classes are on Monday, and departmental scoring of those exams are on Thursday.

Almost done with this one, beeyotches!!
 
Wow. been shooting a LOT of film lately. Clearing out my fridge pretty quick.
 
Sheesh, I had to restock the fridge.

Time for more coffee, methinks.
 
How are you doing with that storm Gary? It sure is a doozy, from what I saw on the television.
 
Hey there, girls and guys...and monkeys...and the assorted other lifeforms that lurk about in the TPF primordial ooze. :D

I feel out of touch with the TPF world. What's up? Anything I need to know? No? That's what I thought. It's like a TV daytime soap opera. You can stop watching for months on end and then pick right back up where you left off!

It'll probably be after Christmas, maybe after the new year, before I really get back online very much, but I will try to check in now and then.
 
Sharon,

You missed a few episodes.

Manaheim has run off with Mish. Neither has been seen for a while. We don't think it is a coincidence.

Marija decided to emigrate. Unfortunately, she got onto the slow boat. Without internet access. We haven't hear from her either.

Pixelrabbit went down the proverbial rabbit hole. But she popped up recently.

No-one has recently questioned the inverse square law, so perhaps that is due.

Nor have we revisited the question of why the night sky is dark.

And "Post-whoring" has entered the internet lexicon. officially.

Mleeks is still missing.

So is Invisible.

Oldhippy posted another bread photo and 435 people gained weight. That too was not a coincidence.

No-one of note got banned. Perhaps we are due.

Other than that... same old, same old.

:D:D
 
Hey, hon.

I tried a preliminary sketch of your photo . . . you sure handed me a wild one! I've got an idea for it, and will try to email you a sketch early, next week.

Keep warm.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom