What's new

The Coffee House

I will also admit tht I used to drink PBRs, back in the day. But then, they weren't "hip," more redneck.
 
PBR is a hipster beer now? *shudder* I thought they were all over the microbrews these days.

Mmmm, microbrew. Just had a Smutty Nose Robust Porter for lunch today.
 
PBR is a hipster beer now? *shudder* I thought they were all over the microbrews these days.

Mmmm, microbrew. Just had a Smutty Nose Robust Porter for lunch today.

I think, since micros have become mainstream, they were scared away. Or maybe it's a regional choice.

I had a Winter Ale from http://www.gearybrewing.com/ at the AIM on Thursday.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I had a Hasselblad. But the Hasselblad is significantly smaller. I used to handhold the Hasselblad most of the time. No way with this ten pound beast. (Actually, I'm thinking of taking the 680 into the street, but after I get a bit more proficient.) Here are some handheld Hasselblad snaps:

Oh yeah, duh. I knew deep in the recesses of my addled brain you shot with a Blad. But yes, I imagine using the Fuji is a very different sort of experience.
 
i wonder what it would take to get into large format... Probably out of my league but curious...
 
I am done digging for the day. After working a bit on the first hole, I decided the location of near a tree was too difficult, so I patched everything up and moved literally across the pond and started a new excavation. The second hole is 90% completed. I just have to fine tune the last few inches in depth and against the liner in order to place the filter per the instructions. Man, what a pain in the back this was. The hole was too small to fit into and dig, yet too deep to easily dig from the top. Tomorrow, if I get home with a couple hours of sunlight, I should have the filter installed and running.
 
I am done digging for the day. After working a bit on the first hole, I decided the location of near a tree was too difficult, so I patched everything up and moved literally across the pond and started a new excavation. The second hole is 90% completed. I just have to fine tune the last few inches to place the filter per the instructions. Man, what a pain in the back this was. The hole was too small to fit into and dig, yet too deep to easily dig from the top. Tomorrow, if I get home with a couple hours of sunlight, I should have the filter installed and running.
post hole digger? auger? just throwing this out there i walked in without even knowing what is going on... Back hoe? lol..
 
I have a 4x5 with lens I would easily sell. I haven't used it in years.
 
I am done digging for the day. After working a bit on the first hole, I decided the location of near a tree was too difficult, so I patched everything up and moved literally across the pond and started a new excavation. The second hole is 90% completed. I just have to fine tune the last few inches to place the filter per the instructions. Man, what a pain in the back this was. The hole was too small to fit into and dig, yet too deep to easily dig from the top. Tomorrow, if I get home with a couple hours of sunlight, I should have the filter installed and running.
post hole digger? auger? just throwing this out there i walked in without even knowing what is going on... Back hoe? lol..
I'm digging a 2.0'x2.5'x3.0' in order to install a new skimmer filtration system for the pond. The first couple feet went like a hot knife through butter ... then I ran out of room for the last foot. The filter butts directly against the pond liner so the last few inches to the liner has to be hand troweled. One of those little Kubota's would have been nice for the rough work.
 
I had to re-educate my way of thinking and shooting back to my film days. Now I have to shoot in an anticipatory methodology. I have to see the shoot before it happens, I have to get into position with enough time to focus and wait for the peak of action

Isn't THAT the skill of photography? Any dam fool can point the camera and press the shutter. To see an image before it happens, to put yourself in the proper place, to set the camera up to capture your vision... those are skills that require practice, and experience.

However, in many ways those processes are the same that make for good drivers, and good tradespeople, and safe workers: be aware of the surroundings and context, anticipate the actions of those around you, and the things THEY will react to, and place yourself where the proper result will be achieved.
Yes and no. It depends on the genre, those skills always come to play, but in some genres they are more important than in others. In Street, for example, speed is a very valuable asset, sometimes more valuable to react than to anticipate ... more valuable to shoot than get into position ... waiting for peak of action in landscape can be tedious in landscape, usually time of day and lighting is more important than peak of action.

The are many skills of photography. Each skill's importance to a particular shot is determined by the content of the shot. Example, in most of Ansel Adams photographs, composition is a paramount factor in creating the exceptional image (yes, exposure and processing skill are fundamentally important as well, but were not addressing that end of the photographic spectrum) ... as opposed to Eddie Adams Pulitzer award winning shot of the ARVN general shooting the VC suspect in the streets of Saigon. That shot and genre, composition and lighting is of little concern, it is all about timing and the peak of action.

To an Ansel Adams type of photographer, shooting Street is more of "any damn [sic] fool can point the camera and press the shutter" ... and vice versa, ad infinitum between genres.

You made a general remark, which I actually do agree with, but the degree of importance to shooting in an anticipatory fashion as opposed to a reactionary fashion is dependant upon the the genre, the particular shot and the equipment being used. Even if I was using a slow camera like the XP1, I would have shot many many more images, different angles, different exposures, different lenses knowing that I can cull out the best in post. With only 12 frames per roll, I have to mentally perform all that culling before I release the shutter.

I "used to" think that street shooting is mostly reactionary, but a very good street shooter explained to me the amount of preparation he did/does to make his images work. He'd scout out an area, see where the shadows were, see the kind of people and patterns that were there, figure out where he'd have to be to get the right background, then wait for the opportunity to show up. Another photographer whose work is featured almost daily in our local papers told me that despite the appearance that his shots are "grab shots", there's quite a bit of planning that he does between the time he learns about an "event", and when he gets to shoot it. The "event" could be an accident, a fire, a celebrity sighting, etc. You've been a press photographer, and I'm sure you didn't start thinking about what or how you would shoot only after you go to the place. To me, that was the major revelation, that even in reactive shooting situations, there's quite a bit of stuff that gets thought about prior to pressing that shutter.

I'm certainly not disagreeing with your point that each genre has its own skill set and requirements, but wanted to emphasize that anticipation, previsualization, and preparation are just as important in reactionary situations as with the ones where you have the time to set things up. I know that my own keeper rate improves when I take the time to think about the shot, what I'm trying to do, and how I intend to go about capturing it.
I think we're basically on the same page, yes every image requires anticipation, previsualization and preparation ... I think my message was meant to be more of a measurement of degree than of omission.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom