What's new

The Coffee House

What makes a bottle of wine look good or bad? From a non-wine drinker's perspective, I might add.

Well, my first hint is that it's not Yellowtail ;)
 
In my very young days I drank some cheap wine and I think Boones Farm was around once. Not a very happy memory. :-)
 
What makes a bottle of wine look good or bad? From a non-wine drinker's perspective, I might add.

Well, my first hint is that it's not Yellowtail ;)
Or Boones Farm?!

I get a headache just reading those two brands!

The bottle I got is a 2009 Brunello di Montalcino, which is in Tuscany, an area that is known for good red wines. The bottle also has the DOCG (Italian quality control and guarantee organization) seal on the neck, which is a good sign - it means it got a seal of meeting quality standards for the regulated regions in Tuscany.

These things aren't guarantees, but it suggests it's more likely that the wine will be good.

I just looked it up. The winery is Col d'Orcia and its 2009 Brunello di Montalcino was rated 92, which is really high.

I must be an awesome teacher! :laughing:
 
See, I told you,you had to be an insider. :-)
 
See, I told you,you had to be an insider. :)

I was raised by Europeans - I was drinking wine when I was barely out of diapers! :allteeth:
 
I think that's what it takes. I was raised by the neighbor boys and they did not have my best interest at heart so thus the Boones Farm and other stuff we could get. Oh, well, I have lerrned the hard way and now enjoy a good Bourbon. It just took a while. :-)
 
I'm more of a crafty beer type, and I don't mean the ULTRA ERMAGERD HOPS crap. All this wine stuff makes my head spin.
 
I'm more of a crafty beer type, and I don't mean the ULTRA ERMAGERD HOPS crap. All this wine stuff makes my head spin.

You beer types are soooo crafty! ;)

This is going to make me sound like a total lush, but I like beer too. And I like liquor, too. And I' picky about all three - wine, beer, and spirits. I very rarely drink enough to be even 'buzzed' but I do enjoy wine with dinner, a lunch beer, or an after-dinner cocktail on the weekends, and when I do drink, I want it to be good stuff.
 
I have a wine app on the phone. I just snap an image of the bar code and instant insider info.

Jesus, there really is an app for everything.

We need an app like that for film.
 
I have a wine app on the phone. I just snap an image of the bar code and instant insider info.

Hmmm, might need to look into an app like that.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom