What's new

The Coffee House

Dave COULD use the services of a professional dentist. Ain't likely.
Off to see the wizard in about 17 minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
Happy Friday, hosers! :icon_cheers:
 
826F0775-AC0C-4655-B064-BEE7A0DBD9A1.webp

EXTRA! EXTRA! EXTRA! EXTRA! EXTRA!
 
Work was fun today. Without details (and throwing people under a bus): There is a process that takes data from one system and through a some magic and a Python script, produces an Excel spreadsheet. The original data is sensitive so it is modestly adjusted (we can't give precise addresses in the data) so it can be made available to the public.

The original Python script writer is not in the office and unable to make any adjustments for a while, so the boss comes to me. Apparently the Python and magic haven't been playing together and the output has not been created for a little while. I tried running the script manually and it failed. I now have the project.

Long story short, I was able to decipher most of what was written (though I'm baffled as to why some of it was written the way it was) and got the thing running. I had a couple of adjustment to make to the script, but the bigger problem is the original input has two fields set as text -- they are longitude and latitude (see why I am involved?) and we need these as floating point numbers (numbers on both sides of the decimal point). After converting the long/lat fields to numbers in the Excel file, all is good. Now, I'll manually go through this process for the next few days until I can either figure out how to convert the text to floating point or the magic part of this (another office) converts the fields. Because this is tied to a GIS database, the "normal" way of converting doesn't work - it seems to be the way a field name is addressed.

Oh, yeah - the magic person was complaining that, out of 14,000-some records that magic gives GIS, only 12,000-some records are returned. I pointed out that any records given to GIS without long/lat data can't be processed. I even mentioned that the most likely reason the long/lat are missing is because the other system isn't running those addresses through a verification process, and some specific reasons why that might happen. Maybe it's because English probably isn't magic person's native language, but I just got smiles and blank stares.

I deserved ice cream, tonight.
Gary is making some ice cream today. There are a pair of bananas which are getting a bit long in the tooth. Gary will hit the Ben & Jerry cookbook this afternoon. Come on by Charlie for some fresh, (never frozen), ice cream.
 
The roof of our manufactured house is made of glued together stuff. Even the "boards" that hold the roof up are glued crap. Dave can't see any way it could be repaired. And there ain't no way to replace the house. So tarps cover pretty much the back of the house. He'd gladly trade his problem for yours.

Dave is lying in bed again. So very soon he'll be studying the inside of his eyelids.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Get a bucket of Henry's or equal. There are many products from that spray rubberized stuff that comes in a can (the guy with screen door boat bottom), to asphalt products (Henry's), to paints which you can spread on your roof. Home Depot (or equal) is your best friend.
 
Last edited:
View attachment 148508
EXTRA! EXTRA! EXTRA! EXTRA! EXTRA!
What a complete team. Bullpen has been lights out. Timely hitting, and the best managing I have ever seen. They look destined. Remember, I called them winning it all. Still think it will be against the Astros but the experts don't see it as I do.
 
Gary needs to score some WS tickets. (Gary was there for the Gibson home run.)
Gary needs to contact his friends at the LA Times. Hopefully no dirty deeds needed.
 
Oh you can always get them, Gary. I had a student who went to all of the Mets home WS games a few years ago. Her parents are well-known tort lawyers here in CT, though, haha.

I couldn't believe how cheap tickets were in Boston for the ALDS. I could have gotten good tickets to Game 4 for $40. I almost went, but my wife talked me out of it.
 
Mr. Bean!
 
Dave had 3 or 4 minutes over 5 hours today. He THINKS it's 23 or so for the week. And to Dave the coolest plane ever Made!
He has no chance to even get close to Ellington Field for Wings over Houston this weekend. And no DSLR to use anyhow.
20171020_105241.webp


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom