What's new

The Coffee House

We've had some damage to our roof trim because of the high winds recently. We can't get it fixed because no one will come out since it's such a cheap job (the part is less than $20 and just needs tacked in)... I've talked with 5 roofing companies, 3 siding companies, and about 6 local handymen.

I've had 4 people actually come out, but then they've ghosted me. (Granted, 3 of the 4 were local handymen that didn't have the ladders.) The one person was an actual roofer who said he'd book me in his schedule, but then ghosted me and never showed up and never called me back.

One guy said he'd drive his truck around the back of my house and put the ladder in the bed of his truck... uhhhh, no. I don't need anyone falling and getting hurt or worse on my property.

I'd do it, but I don't have the ladder for it and my wife is scared to let me do it. Haha (I'd buy a ladder for it.)

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get someone (qualified) to come out to do the work?
 
Last edited:
If the construction market in your area is anything like it is here, you probably won't get anyone. My father spent the better part of six months trying to get a general contractor for a >20K renovation to his workshop recently....

Do the job yourself, and know that it's done correctly. Buy or rent the ladder you need, get a buddy to come over and spot you, and that's it... job done.
 
Yes it’s nearly impossible these days. Around here home costs are high and inventory is low so everyone is remodeling or adding on instead of trading up. I have a guy who is a paramedic and a part time contractor who does all our stuff but I have to wait on his schedule so not always done as quickly as I want it. If you find someone good hold on to them tight lol. I pay him for smaller jobs that I could pay some local handyman less money to do so that I’m at the top of his list when I need something more complicated done.

If you have any friends or relatives in the construction business try to get them to pin someone down for you. If your insurance is going to cover this maybe get them to give you a list of their approved contractors. Having the job come through a high volume customer like an insurance company may make them think twice about ghosting you.
 
This getting work done, is part of getting older that bothers me the most.
So many of the diy jobs that I would not thought twice about, just gone and done it and then onto the next.
Now I can’t do them or those that I do just cause me so much pain and take all day.
There a a couple of jobs I have paid to have done, that I look at now and think what
# cuss word a load of blood everywhere mess #
I would have been ashamed to leave things in the state some of these so called builders have.
 
Got lucky today folks! Our older dog was barking up a storm this morning by the front door. I didn’t see anyone through the window but he kept barking so I opened the door expecting to see a package but instead it was our puppy Harlie on the front steps! I had just let her out back a few minutes before. When I checked to see how she got out I found that some ice was blocking the gate from latching. Must have not closed completely when we took out the trash this morning! Thank goodness she stayed by the house as we live on a very busy street and it is sub freezing here today.
 
Did some last minute shopping this morning and too many people. I had to pick up art supplies too. Started making one of my miniature photo sets. The grands are coming over this weekend to shoot their parts. I have to wait to finish the project after I get photos of the grandson later in the week. One of the sets involves food.
 
Good morning, peeps.
Lazy lobster comes in Monday afternoon. MLW is off for the rest of the year; I'm only off on Christmas Day, and Christmas Eve if work County closes. I'll have to take leave because it isn't a company holiday, but the County won't pay; the day after Thanksgiving was the same deal. I am supposed to be off the second and third; planning to take lazy lobster back to Maine, weather permitting.

I'm taking an extended lunch break to get MLW's present. It's not exactly what she wants, but she's been talking (and looking) for something like this for a while. Most have been too big or too dark.
 
If the construction market in your area is anything like it is here, you probably won't get anyone. My father spent the better part of six months trying to get a general contractor for a >20K renovation to his workshop recently....

Do the job yourself, and know that it's done correctly. Buy or rent the ladder you need, get a buddy to come over and spot you, and that's it... job done.

Yes it’s nearly impossible these days. Around here home costs are high and inventory is low so everyone is remodeling or adding on instead of trading up. I have a guy who is a paramedic and a part time contractor who does all our stuff but I have to wait on his schedule so not always done as quickly as I want it. If you find someone good hold on to them tight lol. I pay him for smaller jobs that I could pay some local handyman less money to do so that I’m at the top of his list when I need something more complicated done.

If you have any friends or relatives in the construction business try to get them to pin someone down for you. If your insurance is going to cover this maybe get them to give you a list of their approved contractors. Having the job come through a high volume customer like an insurance company may make them think twice about ghosting you.

I get it, I do. I'm used to doing everything myself so that I know it gets done right... I just figured, if I have to rent the ladder, I might as well buy it considering all the trouble I'll go through trying to get it to my house (and not to mention I'll probably pay for a third of the ladder in rental costs). Just thinking about putting a 30-ft extension ladder on my Subaru Outback roof racks... LOL.

I'm near the same timeline, though, John. I've been trying to get someone to my house for almost three full months now. I hadn't really thought about having it go through insurance, only because I doubt it'd be worth it. But, you're right, they'd probably do it faster if it was coming from an insurance company.

Since I'll have all the tools, I guess I'll just go into the business myself. I'll get a contractor's license, insurance, etc. LOL, only kidding. :P
 
Thought I was going to have to get a plumber in, the toilet kept flushing.....
No plumber needed. our bengal has worked out how to flush the toilet.
 
I'm taking an extended lunch break to get MLW's present. It's not exactly what she wants, but she's been talking (and looking) for something like this for a while. Most have been too big or too dark.
Hmmm. Can't figure it out based on this cryptic information. ;) Whatever it is, you'll have to share later - and let us know how she liked it!
 
I'm taking an extended lunch break to get MLW's present. It's not exactly what she wants, but she's been talking (and looking) for something like this for a while. Most have been too big or too dark.
Hmmm. Can't figure it out based on this cryptic information. ;) Whatever it is, you'll have to share later - and let us know how she liked it!
Pic on Wednesday.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom