What's new

The Coffee House

Festivus for the rest of us!!

11:30 pm Monday night on TBS.

And the strike's over at H&H bagels!
 
grinch.webp
 
And on a more serious note, I don't know if I've talked lately about my dad, and after having had a fall being in rehab, then him trying being at home briefly and that not being manageable, so he'd been at a senior living care facility. This fall he was diagnosed with dementia, which was mostly him getting mixed up on what day it was, etc. It got worse in November and he started going down hill all of a sudden and passed away a couple of weeks ago. We had the visitation and funeral last week, and with a small family not too many there, but a number of people he'd worked with came which was nice.

One of his favorite movies was The Christmas Story, and the funeral home now has a third partner whose name is Flick. I said, isn't that the name of the red headed kid in the movie...? and everyone said/groaned, yeaahh... Then later I got a delivery of a box of perishable food items and when opening it a fragile sticker flittered off... I thought OK dad, Flick, fra-gi-le', I get it, I'll do something with the Christmas Story house ornaments... he would have appreciated the humor.
 
Sorry to hear about your dad, Sharon.
 
And on a more serious note, I don't know if I've talked lately about my dad, and after having had a fall being in rehab, then him trying being at home briefly and that not being manageable, so he'd been at a senior living care facility. This fall he was diagnosed with dementia, which was mostly him getting mixed up on what day it was, etc. It got worse in November and he started going down hill all of a sudden and passed away a couple of weeks ago. We had the visitation and funeral last week, and with a small family not too many there, but a number of people he'd worked with came which was nice.

One of his favorite movies was The Christmas Story, and the funeral home now has a third partner whose name is Flick. I said, isn't that the name of the red headed kid in the movie...? and everyone said/groaned, yeaahh... Then later I got a delivery of a box of perishable food items and when opening it a fragile sticker flittered off... I thought OK dad, Flick, fra-gi-le', I get it, I'll do something with the Christmas Story house ornaments... he would have appreciated the humor.

I'm so sorry, Sharon :( :icon_hug:
 
And on a more serious note, I don't know if I've talked lately about my dad, and after having had a fall being in rehab, then him trying being at home briefly and that not being manageable, so he'd been at a senior living care facility. This fall he was diagnosed with dementia, which was mostly him getting mixed up on what day it was, etc. It got worse in November and he started going down hill all of a sudden and passed away a couple of weeks ago. We had the visitation and funeral last week, and with a small family not too many there, but a number of people he'd worked with came which was nice.

One of his favorite movies was The Christmas Story, and the funeral home now has a third partner whose name is Flick. I said, isn't that the name of the red headed kid in the movie...? and everyone said/groaned, yeaahh... Then later I got a delivery of a box of perishable food items and when opening it a fragile sticker flittered off... I thought OK dad, Flick, fra-gi-le', I get it, I'll do something with the Christmas Story house ornaments... he would have appreciated the humor.
I'm so sorry to hear about this, Sharon. I know you shared a little bit about his fall, but not much beyond that. You and your family have my condolences. :icon_hug:
 
I have actually looked into renting one of those hahaha... they’re like $1000 for a day or two. Cost of the machine rental isn’t bad, but there’s like a several hundred dollar delivery fee, insurance fee, this fee, that fee, etc.

If your yard is fairly level they have a tow able model that I looked at renting. Here it was around $200 a day, and there was no delivery as you tow it behind your vehicle. A lot of times rental places will do a weekend deal, pick up on Friday return on Monday. Unfortunately our yard has some substantial grades, so it wouldn't work for us.
View attachment 184125
Hmmmmmmmm... that’s interesting. I could hook that up to my Outback no problem. Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to look into this!
 
And on a more serious note, I don't know if I've talked lately about my dad, and after having had a fall being in rehab, then him trying being at home briefly and that not being manageable, so he'd been at a senior living care facility. This fall he was diagnosed with dementia, which was mostly him getting mixed up on what day it was, etc. It got worse in November and he started going down hill all of a sudden and passed away a couple of weeks ago. We had the visitation and funeral last week, and with a small family not too many there, but a number of people he'd worked with came which was nice.

One of his favorite movies was The Christmas Story, and the funeral home now has a third partner whose name is Flick. I said, isn't that the name of the red headed kid in the movie...? and everyone said/groaned, yeaahh... Then later I got a delivery of a box of perishable food items and when opening it a fragile sticker flittered off... I thought OK dad, Flick, fra-gi-le', I get it, I'll do something with the Christmas Story house ornaments... he would have appreciated the humor.
Sorry to hear this, Sharon
 
@vintagesnaps it's always tough to lose a family member but when it happens in December it's really tough. Lost my father in law suddenly and without warning in December of last year, he was the last of our parents. My condolences to you and your family.
 
So....last night my son, the PC guru, stopped by. Said he was there to steal my PC. Wait! What? He assured me it would be back by tonight. Said it would be easier to work on it at home. OK.... I was having storage issues. Running Windows 7 and a hybrid 2 TB hard drive. A platter drive with a small SSD to make things boot faster. Some of the games we play are 50-60 gigs now, plus raw files. I asked him to find a deal on another hard drive to use just for photos.

He brought it back this evening. It's a whole new PC! Upgraded to Windows 10. A 480 GB SanDisk SSD PLUS running the OS. The hybrid drive is now for games, and a new 4 TB drive for my photos. He also installed an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650.

His Christmas present to me. I'm flabbergasted!
 
So sorry to hear about your dad Sharon.
 
@waday feel your pain on getting someone out. Took us almost 6 months to get a gas certified plumber out to put in a gas line for gas logs, and supplemental heater in the garage. Most wouldn't call back, one came out and gave us an estimate that I thought was really high, but agreed to it anyhow. He said he'd be back the next day.......never heard another word. Finally did find one in between jobs that ended up doing it for a reasonable price. We hired an architect to draw up the plans for an estimated 60k addition to the house. He finished the plans in May, and we have yet to get a contractor to bid it. As you say they either don't call back or they come out, look and never call back. I also have some exterior maintenance that needs to be done, but after a bad fall a couple years ago I'm not keen about going 40' up on a ladder either. I keep joking with DW, that I'm going to rent one of these. If I don't find someone soon, it may not be a joke.:allteeth:
It’s so insane! I actually did the same thing about agreeing to a higher price. A guy said he’d do it for $750, which is ridiculous to me considering the amount of work needed and cost of parts, but I agreed because I couldn’t get anyone else. No response now!

I have a quasi-fear of heights, and walking about on the roof or going up a 30/40-ft ladder can cause me to freeze up. It’s happened before... I joked to my wife that I’ll get the work done if she calls the fire department to get me down. (Thankfully, I’ve never had to call the fire department. LOL)

I have actually looked into renting one of those hahaha... they’re like $1000 for a day or two. Cost of the machine rental isn’t bad, but there’s like a several hundred dollar delivery fee, insurance fee, this fee, that fee, etc.

My uncle had a painting company and if he didn’t want a job (for whatever reason ice he’s looked at it) he would double his quote so they wouldn’t use him. Sometimes people would agree!
 
@waday feel your pain on getting someone out. Took us almost 6 months to get a gas certified plumber out to put in a gas line for gas logs, and supplemental heater in the garage. Most wouldn't call back, one came out and gave us an estimate that I thought was really high, but agreed to it anyhow. He said he'd be back the next day.......never heard another word. Finally did find one in between jobs that ended up doing it for a reasonable price. We hired an architect to draw up the plans for an estimated 60k addition to the house. He finished the plans in May, and we have yet to get a contractor to bid it. As you say they either don't call back or they come out, look and never call back. I also have some exterior maintenance that needs to be done, but after a bad fall a couple years ago I'm not keen about going 40' up on a ladder either. I keep joking with DW, that I'm going to rent one of these. If I don't find someone soon, it may not be a joke.:allteeth:
It’s so insane! I actually did the same thing about agreeing to a higher price. A guy said he’d do it for $750, which is ridiculous to me considering the amount of work needed and cost of parts, but I agreed because I couldn’t get anyone else. No response now!

I have a quasi-fear of heights, and walking about on the roof or going up a 30/40-ft ladder can cause me to freeze up. It’s happened before... I joked to my wife that I’ll get the work done if she calls the fire department to get me down. (Thankfully, I’ve never had to call the fire department. LOL)

I have actually looked into renting one of those hahaha... they’re like $1000 for a day or two. Cost of the machine rental isn’t bad, but there’s like a several hundred dollar delivery fee, insurance fee, this fee, that fee, etc.

My uncle had a painting company and if he didn’t want a job (for whatever reason ice he’s looked at it) he would double his quote so they wouldn’t use him. Sometimes people would agree!
That’s hilarious and now I’m wondering why people don’t want to work on my house. Lol
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom