The Coffee House

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by snowbear, Nov 1, 2014.

1. snowbear

snowbear fuzzy-wuzzy Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Glad she's doing well.

2. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was once asked where I was from. I was back in the New York area, so I just told them the town I was from (which was just one or two towns over from where I was, so I knew they would know of the town.) She said, "I meant, where were you from before you lived here?" I said I had moved around a little, lived in a few places. Finally she got more specific, "Yeah, but what country are you from?" That's when I realized that she thought I had a foreign accent and was not born in the States.

The funny thing was, she was the one with a slight accent that sounded like English was perhaps not her first language. I had just gotten back to the States after living overseas, and apparently, it was still very easy for me to unconsciously mimic her speech.

Which, by the way, is very common. It's a natural behavior to unconsciously "borrow" the speech patterns or accent of someone you're talking to when you feel a connection or are trying to create a connection. We don't even realize we are doing it. Sometimes we do it with gestures and body postures, too. It's called mirroring.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    @Dean_Gretsch been many years since I traveled PA, but I seem to remember there was a huge difference between the way people talked in Philly vs Pittsburg.

4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    "Where are you from?"

"My mother"

end of discussion!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. snowbear

Photos OK to edit
    "Dave. What are you doing, Dave" -- HAL, 2010

Why, donchooknow, I'm from Bawler, Merlin,

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. snowbear

Photos OK to edit
    There is a statue of William Wallace ("Braveheart") in Baltimore's Druid Hill Park. One year after the annual memorial service at the statue, my parents and I went to the Inner Harbor, a series of shops and restaurants along with the National Aquarium and the Maryland Science Center. We were in kilts and getting a few stares and smiles (from the lasses). While standing at a fudge shop, watching the guys performing (tossing the paddles in the air and chanting), one of them saw dad in his kilt, and asked him to say something. I don't recall exactly what dad said, but the fudge man said "I love your accent!" Dad replied "Oh, you like a DC accent?" --Crickets.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. snowbear

Photos OK to edit
    Two different states!

There's a big difference in the local accents and dialects of the Baltimore area are different from Maryland's DC suburbs. The people in the three southern MD counties (that have been there a while) and the Eastern Shore (DelMarVa peninsula - east side of the Chesapeake Bay) have a slightly different accent, though it tends to sound more like Baltimore.

8. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is definitely a difference. I lived in Pittsburgh for 4 years and that is one of the dialects that rubbed off on me. Not so much the pronunciation, but some vocabulary and a few weird grammatical structures. The only real pronunciation that I changed was for the name of Andrew Carnegie. Growing up in NY, I always heard of "CARnegie Hall" and assumed that was also the pronunciation of the man's name. Alas, it is not. It's 'car-NEG-ie.' I still use the NY pronuncation for the concert hall in Manhattan, but otherwise, it's the Pittsburgh (and probably correct) pronunciation.

As for phrases: "My hair needs cut." or "The cats need fed." Also, sidewalks and roads can be "slippy" in the winter.

Some things that did NOT stick: gumband (for rubber band), pop (for soda), or adding an 'r' to words that didn't already have one (warsh the car).

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. snowbear

Photos OK to edit
  10. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    My father in law (Midwestern) still refers to soft drinks as SodiPop.

11. davidharmier60

davidharmier60 No longer a newbie, moving up!

All well and good. I be fixin to go to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dean_Gretsch

Dean_Gretsch TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

My other half lived in Ft Myers, Fla for many years after moving to the states from England. We went to a local restaurant where our waitress was very young and inexperienced in life. During one of her stops at our table, she looked at Katrina and asked " Where are you from?". Being me, I couldn't resist and said " Florida. Can't you tell by the tan?". The poor girl had such a look of confusion! I got a smack on the arm for that one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1