What's new

The Coffee House

Yesterday was the day that I usually celebrate the girls' birthday. They were found as kittens and so never knew the exact birth date, but knew it was in April. I picked April 15th to celebrate, but I totally forgot until last night. Going to have to have a delayed birthday celebration over the weekend :)

fb_img_1561164933561-collage-jpg.190138
Happy Birthday, girls. Zoe sends hugs.
 
I guess the fact that we were out of power last week for awhile was a small price to pay considering it could have been worse. It was a good thing the EF2 tornado Sunday, that passed about 4 miles South of us wasn't very wide at the base, because the destructive force within that base was unbelievable. As it wobbled back and forth in the narrow valley for the better part of 20 miles, the smaller area helped to lessen the damage to houses. A corner of a house here, shingles blown off there, but fortunately the property damage was light and no injuries. The other fortunate thing was it's speed, radar was estimating it was traveling at upwards of 60 miles an hour, which is pretty fast for tornadoes, usually they drag along, giving them more time to destroy.

As we watched both twisters approaching on radar, it was evident the one that went to the north would miss us, but this one was headed straight for us. Here we have fairly narrow mountain ridges with valleys in between, once a tornado gets in a valley it usually stays there until it runs its course. Radar showed it enter our valley, then the power went off, all we could do is wait. For some unknown reason, it must not have hit the valley square because at a gap about 4 miles from us, it jumped over the ridge separating us, continuing up the valley on the other side.

The one that went to the north of us about 10 miles (also an EF2) struck the south edge of a town, completely obliterating houses and businesses, and injuring several people in it's path. I didn't go there to take pictures because it didn't feel right going there to gawk while they were trying to clean up from the tragedy.
Reece City Tornado20200415_2765.webp

Reece City Tornado20200415_2769.webp

Reece City Tornado20200415_2777.webp

Reece City Tornado20200415_2785.webp
 
Glad to hear you’re safe, @smoke665 !!
 
@Original katomi and @waday Still here, but another bad storm predicted for this coming Sunday. Just another Spring in the South.
 
Not sure why that’s sideways...
 
April snow! Likely the last little bit of it. I used to see that fairly often, growing up in Michigan. Used to tick me off when I had to clean the car windshield just to get to work, that late in the season. :lol:

Love that walkway, Sharon!

It's cool and sunny here, perfect April day.
 
Hi all this is what I have being playing with. The first part of the sequence I made the mistake of not noticing the air bubbles. Not posted for c&c I know there is a lot wrong, just for fun. This is something like 9 hours of camera work for just a few seconds
https://www.flickr.com/gp/katomi/GR1758
Hope you enjoy,
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom