What's new

The Coffee House

Plumbing Wars ...... This must be a Thailand thing ...... but anyone else live in a country where U bend water seals are seen as a bad thing?

Had to resort to trench warfare to get my wife and the plumbers to fit traps to all the sinks and basins during a condo refit.
:eek: I have to admit I never noticed them lacking when I'd been there; why would anyone NOT want a 'P' trap on a sink/tub drain?????

I was told the trap will be a problem with drain blockages. I said that's my risk and fit them anyway.

The lack of traps is a common cause of drain smells in condos, and in Hong Kong it was even the cause of SARS spreading in a building.
 
fetchimage
 
Going for it this week! I just made a pedicure appointment and a massage appointment after speaking to the spa owner about what precautions they are taking and their new intake and exit processes. I'm thinking since these places just reopened, now is the time to get in there before the covid starts spreading again. Mass has been pretty good with the lock down and waiting for solid declines in numbers and transmissions to reopen so I feel good about it. So glad I'm not in FL right now where they are setting a new record every day for new cases. Yikes. I think because we were one of the original states with cases, we are in a better position now.
 
Taking a wee break from extra reading today. The live scoring is done, but we were given the chance to get extra hours by doing practice sets of other prompts that were given this year, plus some experimental ones. There are a total of 52 sets, 8 essays each. No way anyone could get through all of them in one day, so I'm trying to do an even 10 sets at least. I've got a little over an hour before I hit 5 hours for the day. Total of 45 hours since Friday.
 
Hottest day of the year so far today 31.1c.....

Nice! It is a beautiful 110F (43c)right now. I really should be playing outside to welcome the hottest part of the day, around 4pm. Maybe I shall go shoot some HP5.
 
Done with Day 5. Cumulative total: 450 essays and 9 plethoras. Got to 35.5 hours, so I've hit my minimum. Anything now is gravy.

Just about 13 essays/hour, which averages to 4 minutes per essay. Some are much faster and others take me a little while to figure out. I probably read faster when we did in-person readings, but not by a whole lot. I'm probably reading at an average speed but I'm also apparently quite accurate, so it's all good.

This is why I do not give my students any essays or papers. I let the communications department handle English 101 and 102. Now I have more photography time! =]

I do assign a paper in one of the courses I teach but what a train wreck. I admire your essay grading skills! =]

Yeah, I need to start teaching classes that don't require essays. For the moment, I am just going to not teach anything at all for at least another year (good thing teaching isn't my primary source of income anymore! ;) )

What do you teach?
 
Done with Day 5. Cumulative total: 450 essays and 9 plethoras. Got to 35.5 hours, so I've hit my minimum. Anything now is gravy.

Just about 13 essays/hour, which averages to 4 minutes per essay. Some are much faster and others take me a little while to figure out. I probably read faster when we did in-person readings, but not by a whole lot. I'm probably reading at an average speed but I'm also apparently quite accurate, so it's all good.

This is why I do not give my students any essays or papers. I let the communications department handle English 101 and 102. Now I have more photography time! =]

I do assign a paper in one of the courses I teach but what a train wreck. I admire your essay grading skills! =]

Yeah, I need to start teaching classes that don't require essays. For the moment, I am just going to not teach anything at all for at least another year (good thing teaching isn't my primary source of income anymore! ;) )

What do you teach?

Automotive Technology @ Arizona Western College.

The students do have to write a paper on hybrids, diesels, and emerging tech so I am not completely free but it is only one of the ten automotive courses that I teach. =]
 
Last edited:
Done with Day 5. Cumulative total: 450 essays and 9 plethoras. Got to 35.5 hours, so I've hit my minimum. Anything now is gravy.

Just about 13 essays/hour, which averages to 4 minutes per essay. Some are much faster and others take me a little while to figure out. I probably read faster when we did in-person readings, but not by a whole lot. I'm probably reading at an average speed but I'm also apparently quite accurate, so it's all good.

This is why I do not give my students any essays or papers. I let the communications department handle English 101 and 102. Now I have more photography time! =]

I do assign a paper in one of the courses I teach but what a train wreck. I admire your essay grading skills! =]

Yeah, I need to start teaching classes that don't require essays. For the moment, I am just going to not teach anything at all for at least another year (good thing teaching isn't my primary source of income anymore! ;) )

What do you teach?

Automotive Technology @ Arizona Western College. Some of the students in the pic. I am on the far right.
ZnyNUnom.jpg


The students do have to write a paper on hybrids, diesels, and emerging tech so I am not completely free but it is only one of the ten automotive courses that I teach. =]

Nice. My father was a mechanic - he worked on anything, of any size, with an engine. He was one of the very few skilled large-machinery mechanics in the area so even after he retired, we constantly had in our back yard: flatbeds, cement mixers, well-drillers, tractors, dump trucks... There was so much oil and grease in that ground, it took years for the grass to grow back ;)

He was old-fashioned enough to think that my brother should be the one to really learn everything from him, but also insisted that all of us sisters knew enough to keep our cars running in good shape. I was the one that kept bugging to hang out in the garage with him (I loved getting my hands dirty so I could clean them off with Goop), so he'd give me little things to do to keep me satisfied. I still change my own oil.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom