What's new

The Coffee House

Hey hosers.

Ventured out to Home Depot today. It was kinda crowded, and my goodness, it was hot outside!

In other news, you may remember me talking about trying out the Hello Fresh meal delivery service. So I did it for probably about 2 months. The meals are tasty enough, and the recipes are easy to follow - maybe more difficult for someone who has never picked up a kitchen knife, but still not complicated.

But the recipes do get a bit repetitive - most of the recipes involve green onions, sriracha sauce, sour cream or mayo-based sauces, and there was almost always a lime involved. Also, veggies are almost always green beans, carrots, or broccoli, and it seems like they only send jasmine rice. And it was guaranteed that you would have to add "a generous drizzle" of oil or a tablespoon of butter at some point in every single meal.

Also, they would choose two meals for you automatically each week based on what kind of meal plan you chose. If you didn't want those meals, you could switch, and they would show about 18 different options. I chose "vegetarian" as my meal plan, and the meals they chose were vegetarian, but the 18 or so alternative meals I was shown if I wanted to switch were about 80% meat-based. And I know they had other vegetarian options because the meal alternatives changed every week, but they didn't show me those options. I had to pick through all of the meat-based meals to find the handful of alternative veggie or fish-based meals they offered. Not a huge deal, but very annoying nonetheless.

The cheapest weekly package (2 recipes/week) was about $50/week, or about $12.50/meal. (Each meal is supposed to serve two people - or one person for 2 meals - so it's 4 meals per box). It really depends on the recipe, however, and how much you want to eat. Their meals that featured a separate protein, a veggie, and a starch would usually be fine for 2 meals for me, but some of their one-dish meals (like chickpea tabouleh or a veggie bibimbap) felt more like one full meal plus enough for a snack later on or a side dish for the next day's meal. When I got those, I would usually supplement with my own salad.

For others, this may seem like a good value, but for me, it's just not worth it. I know how to cook and can manage to make the same meals for myself much more cheaply. It was nice for a while when it was harder to get fresh veggies or to provide a little variety, but I've saved the best recipes to make on my own later on if I want, and I learned a few new little tricks, so it served its purpose for me.
 
Last edited:
Hey hosers.

Ventured out to Home Depot today. It was kinda crowded, and my goodness, it was hot outside!

In other news, you may remember me talking about trying out the Hello Fresh meal delivery service. So I did it for probably about 2 months. The meals are tasty enough, and the recipes are easy to follow - maybe more difficult for someone who has never picked up a kitchen knife, but still not complicated.

But the recipes do get a bit repetitive - most of the recipes involve green onions, sriracha sauce, sour cream or mayo-based sauces, and there was almost always a lime involved. Also, veggies are almost always green beans, carrots, or broccoli, and it seems like they only send jasmine rice. And it was guaranteed that you would have to add "a generous drizzle" of oil or a tablespoon of butter at some point in every single meal.

Also, they would choose two meals for you automatically each week based on what kind of meal plan you chose. If you didn't want those meals, you could switch, and they would show about 18 different options. I chose "vegetarian" as my meal plan, and the meals they chose were vegetarian, but the 18 or so alternative meals I was shown if I wanted to switch were about 80% meat-based. And I know they had other vegetarian options because the meal alternatives changed every week, but they didn't show me those options. I had to pick through all of the meat-based meals to find the handful of alternative veggie or fish-based meals they offered. Not a huge deal, but very annoying nonetheless.

The cheapest weekly package (2 recipes/week) was about $50/week, or about $12.50/meal. (Each meal is supposed to serve two people - or one person for 2 meals). It really depends on the recipe, however, and how much you want to eat. Their meals that featured a separate protein, a veggie, and a starch would usually be fine for 2 meals for me, but some of their one-dish meals (like chickpea tabouleh or a veggie bibimbap) felt more like one full meal plus enough for a snack later on or a side dish for the next day's meal. When I got those, I would usually supplement with my own salad.

For others, this may seem like a good value, but for me, it's just not worth it. I know how to cook and can manage to make the same meals for myself much more cheaply. It was nice for a while when it was harder to get fresh veggies or to provide a little variety, but I've saved the best recipes to make on my own later on if I want, and I learned a few new little tricks, so it served its purpose for me.
Thanks for the report back. Sounds kind of disappointing, in my opinion. Not sure I’d want to keep paying, especially if it’s so hard to get a variety of vegetarian dishes. I tend to get tired of similar sauces quite easily, so if I’d be eating the same thing over and over, meh. Also, portion sizes would probably be an issue for me, as well.
 
Ventured out to Home Depot today. It was kinda crowded, and my goodness, it was hot outside!

When you buy a house you spend all your money and most of your free time at HD the first few months. I think I could probably better direct people to find what they need than most of their employees.
 
Hi we, Just ordered the hello fresh, I cooked the first two nights ago. Ok, not something I would have every night
Whilst I am no cook I do like cook when I am not in too much pain.
We will give the hello fresh a try for a time, but I have a feeling that we to will get tired of the meals and go back to our own style. Such as what we call my rainbow salad... a mix of as many colours as we have in the fridge and or the fruit bowl.
 
Ventured out to Home Depot today. It was kinda crowded, and my goodness, it was hot outside!

When you buy a house you spend all your money and most of your free time at HD the first few months. I think I could probably better direct people to find what they need than most of their employees.

Kind of what I'm expecting :)
 
SquarePeg
Hi like your post about the diy store, we have a local hardware store, one of the old type, stocks any and everything
A lot of the nails,screws,nuts bolts are still sold loose. Pre covid one customer could be seen helping another either showing where to find items or suggesting ways of doing the task
 
I am surprised that there is not a food thread on the main page. I am thinking about starting one because we eat awesome food multiple times a day, and sometimes suck it through a straw. I personally like to bake a lot of cakes, pies, and cookies. I let the wife cook food. Take a picture and start eating. It would be a what are you eating thread but it would somehow be different then food photography. =]
 
Mike D
Nice, set up enjoy the water melons
Edit
What are we eating thread...
Oh dangerous.. to much drool on the I pad from reading others posts lol
 
This has been my diy project for the last few months, take a piece of scrap wood that is used in the transport of wood known locally as Dunnage. Often is two pieces nailed together
And turn it into the following, a set of border edgings plus a small fan for a climbing plant. Some of the off cuts were used to make the fan, rest will be used on the bbq and the saw dust was used for rabbets run.
Eco friendly, bio degradable, reused scrap wood
View attachment 193564View attachment 193567View attachment 193568View attachment 193569View attachment 193571

Nice Job! I built these boxes in May and planted seeds. Approximately two months later (today, July) the watermelons have seem to have grown wild.
xqAiI3L.jpg

3vMWSJ9.jpg
Those look absolutely beautiful! You're in Yuma, right? Holy crap, I know it gets hot there. Here in GA, watermelons have been coming in locally for a few weeks now. When will yours actually bear fruit?

Oh, and nice job with the planter boxes, too. :lol:
 
SquarePeg
Hi like your post about the diy store, we have a local hardware store, one of the old type, stocks any and everything
A lot of the nails,screws,nuts bolts are still sold loose. Pre covid one customer could be seen helping another either showing where to find items or suggesting ways of doing the task

I learned pretty quickly at Home Depot to ignore the people in the orange aprons and look for the other people in the aisles who looked like they knew what they were doing. I've gotten advice from contractors, plumbers and electricians rather than retired teachers, truck drivers and secretaries.
 
I am surprised that there is not a food thread on the main page. I am thinking about starting one because we eat awesome food multiple times a day, and sometimes suck it through a straw. I personally like to bake a lot of cakes, pies, and cookies. I let the wife cook food. Take a picture and start eating. It would be a what are you eating thread but it would somehow be different then food photography. =]
Go for it! :)

We hosers in the Coffee House get lazy and tend to throw all conversations in here. But most of us like to cook/garden/etc., so a food thread would be fun!
 
Tonight I'm making sweet and spicy dry rub chicken wings. Served with crusty bread an a red chile oil and balsamic dip.
 
Those look absolutely beautiful! You're in Yuma, right? Holy crap, I know it gets hot there. Here in GA, watermelons have been coming in locally for a few weeks now. When will yours actually bear fruit?

Oh, and nice job with the planter boxes, too. :lol:

Thank you! Yes I am in Yuma, it is a beautiful 104F right now. I am going on a ride here in a few minutes to the lake for sunset. I honestly do not know when the plants will bear fruit because this is the first watermelon that we have planted. Thanks!
 
SquarePeg
You are so right for the big diy stores, at the local Hardware store the staff will help but will not push in..
SquarePeg
I would say I would pop round for tea, those wings sound nice
But it’s nearly 10 pm here, plus by the time I got to you the wings would be cold lol
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom