What's new

The Coffee House

I wonder how many people have earned the nickname Lefty after last night.
 
Our subdivision did a controlled fireworks display on Friday night. There's a largish green space/pasture that's far enough away from houses to be reasonably safe. The fireworks were impressively huge, though - and people had driven over and parked in the pasture, maybe to maintain social distancing? But several vehicles had to scramble to get away from falling debris during the show. Grabbing kids, yelling and being yelled at while others dodged them. I stood on my front porch and laughed. So mean. :nosmile:

No one was hurt, and it was largely over by 10 pm. My cats reappeared from under the bed by 10:30. :lol:
 
Good morning... Black coffee best coffee.

aBCY1Ofl.jpg
 
Trying to pick an exterior paint color is a big pita! We have a brick front ranch with lots of white trim and many large windows out front so I think the house can handle a dark, strong color. Current color is boring cream with white trim. I want a dark blue or blueish grey. I think I’ve got it narrowed down to either #2 or #4. But neither says “Marry me, I’m the one”. Thoughts?


00246BFF-A8F6-4EA1-8A32-1DFC8E88CD7F.webp


88F102E1-AAA4-471F-846B-311F54CD0851.webp
 
#2 looks to have the same saturation level as the red brick and looks like home. #4 looks old like it has been there for years. Is the paint dry? It will get darker as it drys. I think #2. It goes with the blue chair on the right. =]
 
I agree with Mike about the #4 color. It might look too aged within a couple of years.

Personally, even though it's not in contention, I like #3. Just a shade brighter than #2, and would have a nice pop next to white trim, too.
 
#2 looks to have the same saturation level as the red brick and looks like home. #4 looks old like it has been there for years. Is the paint dry? It will get darker as it drys. I think #2. It goes with the blue chair on the right. =]

Hmm, good point. I liked #4 the best at first, with #2 as my second choice, but I looked back at that second picture and I agree with your assessment, so I've reversed my choices. :)
 
They may still be a bit wet. Will take more pics tomorrow morning in different light.
 
Despite the consensus on #2, both on TPF and among my family, I’m leaning toward #4. My concern holding me back is exactly what Mike pointed out. It may look old sooner. But, I really don’t want anything too bright and colorful. With the red brick, I kind of prefer the darker grey. Although our roof is also dark grey so that may be too much. I have a few drive bys to do today of houses painted in #2. Addresses I got from a local Facebook group about local historical homes and what colors were used. That is Benjamin Moore Newburyport Blue very popular in this area. Will see how they look on a whole house!
 
Alright we have a winner. #2. Once they were fully dry and the sun moved a bit you can see that there’s too much green in #4 and #2 darkened up a bit which is what I wanted.

5044BF64-C9C3-40F9-8673-ED6F3D3BC2F6.webp
 
Back to waffling on the color. I really want something more navy. I have to decide by tomorrow because the contractor is coming to drop off the contract and will be buying the paint and starting painting on Thursday!
 
Back to waffling on the color. I really want something more navy. I have to decide by tomorrow because the contractor is coming to drop off the contract and will be buying the paint and starting painting on Thursday!
Were these samples all the dark blue shades at the store? Maybe try a different paint company with similar shade names? What looks dull from one company could be perfect from another.
 
I think this is the color I’m going with. I’m going to get a sample after work and will see how it looks with the brick. This is the color I originally wanted but saw it on a house and thought it was too dark but it looks great on this other house which is a few blocks over from us. I drove by today and snagged a quick photo.

7D250CD1-AA23-4EC3-B1D3-1A6B24DC2F25.webp
 
That's a beautiful color!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom