What's new

The Coffee House

Our older dog had surgery today for bladder stones. 2nd time in 2 years. He’s resting now at home. Poor baby.
Any idea on how to prevent them? Our dog used to have UTIs all the time and she had lots of minerals in her urine. We changed her food a bit and made sure she got more water in her diet. Doc thinks that has helped, but apparently she’s more prone to them than some other breeds. She hasn’t had a UTI in some time.

We need an empathy button on here...

he’s been on a special diet with prescription food that’s supposed to help break down the crystals before they form into stones. I don’t know how well it works because this is the second time he’s needed this same surgery in 2 years. we are pretty generous with the healthy treats like carrots and frozen blueberries. One of the vets that I spoke to last time said that as long as he eats the prescribed food, he can have other healthy items with it, This time they said it’s best not to give him anything but the prescription food (which he doesn’t really like). The surgeon at the vet hospital told me that the type of stones that he has aren’t caused by diet and some dogs are genetically inclined to develop the stones. He’ll be limited to just the prescription food this time with no treats :(
 
:(
 
My latest med is causing some drowsiness - later peeps.
 
Our older dog had surgery today for bladder stones. 2nd time in 2 years. He’s resting now at home. Poor baby.
Any idea on how to prevent them? Our dog used to have UTIs all the time and she had lots of minerals in her urine. We changed her food a bit and made sure she got more water in her diet. Doc thinks that has helped, but apparently she’s more prone to them than some other breeds. She hasn’t had a UTI in some time.

We need an empathy button on here...

he’s been on a special diet with prescription food that’s supposed to help break down the crystals before they form into stones. I don’t know how well it works because this is the second time he’s needed this same surgery in 2 years. we are pretty generous with the healthy treats like carrots and frozen blueberries. One of the vets that I spoke to last time said that as long as he eats the prescribed food, he can have other healthy items with it, This time they said it’s best not to give him anything but the prescription food (which he doesn’t really like). The surgeon at the vet hospital told me that the type of stones that he has aren’t caused by diet and some dogs are genetically inclined to develop the stones. He’ll be limited to just the prescription food this time with no treats :(
Poor dude.

Ah, crystals, that’s what I meant! Roxy had a lot of crystals according to the one vet, and we put her on prescription diet, etc. We ended up changing vets, and new vet said, “If you get her to drink more water, you could probably take her off prescription meds; give her a wet and dry mix.” That actually worked, and she’s been on that for 3 years or so.

Roxy was also getting a lot of milkbones. We stopped those, and that also seemed to help quite a bit. Now, she only gets a small treat once a day before bed.
 
Hey hosers.

Sharon, how's the pup? Hope he's feeling better, poor little thing :(

I spent the weekend laying floors. My whole body hurts and if there were a way I could bathe in lidocaine pain cream, I would. But things are starting to shape up.

Master bedroom, before:
119512931_10157854343654007_4013122439149714417_n.jpg



After:
119231196_10157854343704007_565279888711084581_n.jpg
 
The pup is doing good. We had some drama Friday night with him freaking out and acting crazy and we had to call the emergency vet but he seems to be past that.
 
Our older dog had surgery today for bladder stones. 2nd time in 2 years. He’s resting now at home. Poor baby.

Ahhh poor pup! Snickers had bladder stone surgery 2 years ago. Since then he is on a cranberry chew regime and no new stones.

Please tell me more about this cranberry chew regime?
 
Those floors look gorgeous, Leo! Great job.

Glad to hear the little guy's on the mend, Sharon. :heartpump: Poor buddy.
 
So much for the diet this week!!! Yesterday was treatment day for DW, so I volunteered to have supper ready when she got home. Pan seared 1/2" thick center cut ham steak, sweet potato casserole, and a big platter of fried green tomatoes with Mississippi Come Back sauce on the side.

This morning I was up early making a batch of biscuits to go with the left over ham. Even DW admitted they were better then the store bought, but not quite as good as Jack's yet.

Thankfully we only snacked during the day, because this evening while grilling some chopped sirloin, I noticed we finally had some ripe Brown figs. While she finished up the supper and made the salad, I picked enough figs for sauteed figs in butter, cinnamon, with caramelized brown sugar. OMG they are so good just by themselves, but as a topping for vanilla ice cream, they're over the top.

Guess I'll diet next week:aiwebs_016:
 
Our older dog had surgery today for bladder stones. 2nd time in 2 years. He’s resting now at home. Poor baby.

Ahhh poor pup! Snickers had bladder stone surgery 2 years ago. Since then he is on a cranberry chew regime and no new stones.

Please tell me more about this cranberry chew regime?

From NaturVet the Cranberry Relief, a healthy urinary tract. Also switched out dog food to a grain free Zignature. Snickers gets a yearly urinary test and no stones in 2 years.
 
Well, I got the official word of nomination for the State Geo Committee - Chair of the Advocacy subcommittee. I'd be the primary contact for information on (applying for and receiving) grants, oversee a team to accomplish awarded grant activities, and report any state and local government actions that could have impact on the organization's, or member's activities.

I gave my acceptance speech on the front lawn, in the (unidentified bush) garden.
 
Yesterday morning I dropped off items for the local Blessing Box. I couldn't believe how empty! My husband & I posted on FB and 2 community pages for donations. By afternoon the box was full. Got a few messages from people that since there was no room in the box they would take their items later. It is nice when the community comes together. There is a definite need.
The box that morning. It is deeper than it appears.
BlessingBox.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom