What's new

The Coffee House

Too much snow and polar temps too early this year in S. Ontario. Nasty wind chills cowering behind the snow blower this afternoon. Curtain-raiser on Winter 2022-23? NOOOooo...
 
I have a really great Christmas theme shot that would work great for all the grands, but I'm coming up blank on the period clothing I need. I've looked at some rental and used clothing places but to rich for me. Lil'Bit is missing her two front teeth which would also tie into the song "All I want for Christmas" but I'm coming blank on inspiration of how to put it together.
Vintage clothing is expensive. I once made a prarie theme for my daughter, school project. I took an old dress of my MIL's which went to the ankles on the daughter and made a long bib type apron to go over it.
 
Quincy has started the season off on Santa's naughty list.

SantaLightsPupSMw.webp
 
"Period." What period were you considering? There's often not much daylight between "vintage" clothing sellers and donation stores apart from $$$, especially for kids' stuff.

Late 40's, adult and children. I generally find my props in antique and thrift stores. I've found some but the cost is outrageous.
 
Last edited:
Vintage clothing is expensive

You got that right. Stuff we once picked up for pennies, now brings $$$ especially in adult sizes.

Love the pup shot. Good match
 
I went old school this year for Thanksgiving. I got out my hunting camo, boots, shotgun and headed out. Wasnt long before i tracked a large turkey. One shot brought him down......
...............unfortunately walmart has now banned me from their stores🤪
 
"Naughty" is subjective and has multiple degrees.

Happy (and a safe) Thanksgiving to the US hosers.
We were going to do like last year and cook everything here then take it up to Ada's as our place is still a wreck. Then we were invited to a family friend's (along with Ada) but rather than one of them hosting, they've decided to go to a restaurant. We'll go get Ada in a little while and head to Annapolis.

I got the new ceiling lamp and new wall switch installed in the dining room,, as well as the curtains up. I also got in two trips to the landfill, and one to the hardware / home improvement store. The kitchen cabinets have been delivered to the contractor and the remodel is tentative for mid December. We'll order the appliances next week and go from there. The pantry has been relocated to a spare room for now, and I'll take the pantry closet wall out this weekend.

Before. We had just moved the tables into the room, having put mom's stuff in the spare room until we get the truck for Tulsa. Unfortunately we are going to have to let the marble-top "baking" table go. It has developed a bow and there is a crack in the back that is getting bigger. I don't know when I would be able to make a new one, and space isn't really big enough for both.
DiningRoomNo1.webp


After. We still need to patch holes, patch plaster, and paint, but it's useable once we clear the tools and hardware from the table. The bulbs are LEDs but we dialed down the brightness and set them much warmer. I'm going to raise it another chain link or two, as well.
DiningRoomNo2.webp
 
@snowbear my back hurts just listening to your plans. No more projects for us. The lake place took us over a year to complete, a lot of hurry up and wait. Just waiting for the final inspection and we're done. No projects planned for this coming year for us, we need a break.
 
We had plans, but between several family, (us included), having the flue and my son back in the hospital, the wife and I just stayed home being thankful that all this will pass, and everyone will come out just fine.

So anyway, I'm about halfway through binge watching Wednesday Adams. I know it's not exactly critically acclaimed, but I like that corny, dry, dark humor.
 
We had a nice Thanksgiving, cherry pie made on Wednesday and Yukon gold mashed potatoes earlier in the day, so things went smoothly. Very relaxing!

Anyone shopping on Black Friday? I only went to the store for more food, oddly. :icon_scratch:
 
@smoke665: Mine hurts, too!

Yes, @terri, we ventured out of the house today. We went to look at some sheds and were set on looking at kitchen appliances. We ended up at the local big box store, picked out a stove/oven, fridge, and dishwasher (we'll order them next week when MLW's big check clears). MLW also picked out a new TV that we'll get when other things are done. While we were there we bought ourselves an early gift - something we've been talking about for a few years but always had to do other things - a gaming console. They are never on sale, but they tend to sell out quickly. Looking around, I noticed only one DSLR on display and no lenses. I also didn't see any iMac (desktops), though the pro=icing sign was there. The store wasn't as crowded as I figured, though there are a lot of cars on the road.

We had a late lunch at the noodle place and will order a pizza for later. Another shed shopping trip tomorrow, and if there is time, a trip to what the kids used to call DTRU: Daddy's Toys 'R Us, or the woodworking tool & supply store. I'm looking at bandsaws and lathes. We are also looking for knobs and handles for the new kitchen cabinets.

Dinner was great, though a little slow between courses, but that's to be expected - we had 28 people in our group. We went next door to The Barn Show (our host's store) and spotted a few things to get next week. Ada made a pumpkin pie and sent half of it home with us.
 
Oddly enough @terri I also went grocery shopping! If I buy anything else today, it will be online.

Oops, I lied - I bought lip balm and cough drops at Walgreens this morning when I went for my bivalent COVID booster and my first flu shot in decades. After that, Buzz and I went for a hike. When we got back, I decided to make a food run because if I am down tomorrow with the side effects (history suggests I will be useless tomorrow) and still draggy on Sunday, then the last thing I would want to do is go to the grocery store.

Got the jabs at just before 10am and so far, my arm is a tiny bit sore but nothing bad, and the fever/fatigue hasn't hit yet.

I purposely left the latest season of "The Marvelous Mrs Maisel" for tomorrow.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom