What's new

The Coffee House

@SquarePeg my grandmother was in her late 80's still driving her Chevette 3 speed on the column. She never learned how to finesse the clutch so she'd pull it in first, rev it up and pop the clutch. Most times leaving rubber on the road or gravel flying. The family was going nowhere with getting her out of it. Finally one day she was on four lane street and decided she was going the wrong way. She did a U turn taking out 4 cars and totaling hers. Luckily no one was hurt, but the insurance company canceled her and no one else would cover her. The local police told her they wouldn't ticket her if she gave up her license and so ended her driving.
 
My mother (who just turned 87) is still kicking and screaming about not being able to drive anymore because we haven't let her get a new car since she had an accident maybe 5 years ago. It was bad enough to total the car (to be fair, it was an old car worth very little money) and leave her with bad whiplash that took weeks to get better, but not so bad that she was more seriously, permanently hurt. She had been having minor accidents (busting a tire by driving off the pavement, scraping the side of the car while parking, stuff like that) and not telling anyone, but we found out anyway. I had driven with her once about a year prior to the accident, and it was scary! She was all over the road. We tried hard to get her to give up her car on her own, but she refused. To this day, she's convinced that the accident was not her fault (it was - she was turning left onto a main road and she cut off a car too late for the car to stop. She's lucky it wasn't worse) and she keeps asking us to get her a new car, but it ain't happening.

I like to think I'll be more self-aware if I get to that point, but I *love* to drive and am very stubborn, so who knows? I dunno, the way things are going with cars, I might be forced into an electric car with an automatic transmission and get waaaaaaay too bored to want to drive anyway. ;)
 
We've been cleaning out the garage, and DSU pointed to a box and asked if I wanted it. What was in it? A Yashica FX-103 with an f/1.9 50mm prime and a Minolta f/3.5 35-210mm zoom, and a Minolta X-700 with f/1.7 50mm prime and f/3.5 135mm prime, and an unopened box of TMAX 135-24 100 B&W film dated 07/2001. Both cameras seem to work, doubtful about the film though. Both cameras had Kodak 200 color print film in them, with no shots left on them. Also a CY to NX mount so that I could use the 35-210 zoom with a Samsung NX-2000 that I had purchased at one time, but rarely use. Now I have to fight the urge to go out and buy some film, but it might be fun. I also have a functioning Soviet era Zenit ET with an f/2 58mm Helios lens. I admit it, I'm a pack rat... I might need it some day...
 
We've been cleaning out the garage, and DSU pointed to a box and asked if I wanted it. What was in it? A Yashica FX-103 with an f/1.9 50mm prime and a Minolta f/3.5 35-210mm zoom, and a Minolta X-700 with f/1.7 50mm prime and f/3.5 135mm prime, and an unopened box of TMAX 135-24 100 B&W film dated 07/2001. Both cameras seem to work, doubtful about the film though. Both cameras had Kodak 200 color print film in them, with no shots left on them. Also a CY to NX mount so that I could use the 35-210 zoom with a Samsung NX-2000 that I had purchased at one time, but rarely use. Now I have to fight the urge to go out and buy some film, but it might be fun. I also have a functioning Soviet era Zenit ET with an f/2 58mm Helios lens. I admit it, I'm a pack rat... I might need it some day...
What a haul! Sounds like some experiments are in order - get the film. G'wan, you know you want to and it'll be fun!
 
My mother (who just turned 87) is still kicking and screaming about not being able to drive anymore because we haven't let her get a new car since she had an accident maybe 5 years ago. It was bad enough to total the car (to be fair, it was an old car worth very little money) and leave her with bad whiplash that took weeks to get better, but not so bad that she was more seriously, permanently hurt. She had been having minor accidents (busting a tire by driving off the pavement, scraping the side of the car while parking, stuff like that) and not telling anyone, but we found out anyway. I had driven with her once about a year prior to the accident, and it was scary! She was all over the road. We tried hard to get her to give up her car on her own, but she refused. To this day, she's convinced that the accident was not her fault (it was - she was turning left onto a main road and she cut off a car too late for the car to stop. She's lucky it wasn't worse) and she keeps asking us to get her a new car, but it ain't happening.

I like to think I'll be more self-aware if I get to that point, but I *love* to drive and am very stubborn, so who knows? I dunno, the way things are going with cars, I might be forced into an electric car with an automatic transmission and get waaaaaaay too bored to want to drive anyway. ;)
My mom turned 96 this year - and still drives. She's had cataract surgery in both eyes and regularly sees the doctor.

Getting her out of her 3-story condo into assisted living was a battle. She gave up driving voluntarily due to the back pain she was in. Went to physical therapy for months, off and on, and the discussion right before she moved was about driving. She didn't want to give up the car.

I got into her car with her ( a tiny Honda Fit), and made her drive around awhile. She also parked, backed out of the parking space, and showed me that she could look back over her shoulders, left and right, before I had to admit she was doing just fine. (I was prepared for a white-knuckled experience.)

So she's there now with her car - a leased car that she decided to purchase when the lease was up a couple months back. There was little point in renewing a lease, and this small car suits her well. She got herself a handicapped decal so she can park closer in.

She's doing great - for now. I told her there's another driving test in her near future and she rolled her eyes.
 
Dunno. The kid and I installed the battery this a.m. in the old FIL's plane--and did so only to preserve peace with the frau. Hoping he's intending to play co-pilot with a (slightly) younger pilot willing to take him up.
Luckily, cocktail hour opened for me at 5:30 EST. Happy Friday to all!
 
Dunno. The kid and I installed the battery this a.m. in the old FIL's plane--and did so only to preserve peace with the frau. Hoping he's intending to play co-pilot with a (slightly) younger pilot willing to take him up.
Luckily, cocktail hour opened for me at 5:30 EST. Happy Friday to all!
Cheers! 🍷 Cocktail hour starts fairly soon here, too!

Happy Friday, hosers!
 
I too love driving and will probably have to have the key fob pried out of my wrinkled, arthritic, age spotted hands.
You and me both sister. I keeping my 3 Mustang's even after I can't drive, I'll just go into the garage and sit in them making engine noises.....LOL
 
My MIL had a fender bender in the church parking lot. She waited until after service to tell me. The hood was scraped up. I think she drove under a large truck. We reported it, but no one came forward with damage. Had the car towed to a friend's auto body shop. At the time in IL if your DL expired you had to take a written. We had friend keep her car and tell her he was waiting parts to buy time to when her birthday was the next month and license expired. Got her the booklet to study and she realized she could not understand enough to take the test. We moved her to a senior independent living apt. When we toured the place she had a tantrum in the hallway threatening to sue us. The director was very nice and smoothed it all over. I had been going over there to drive her to appointments, hair day, shopping several times a week. Told her she needed to use the facility's bus service for shopping and get her hair done at their salon. She wasn't happy, but finally got with the program. I don't know how she passed the yearly behind the wheel. We did later learn that she had to take the driving test 2 or 3 times to pass each year.

My Mom was no problem. She moved from her home to a rehab place and then to assisted living. She knew she was no longer able to drive. She wasn't happy, but she made the decision to sell her car.
 
Dunno. The kid and I installed the battery this a.m. in the old FIL's plane--and did so only to preserve peace with the frau. Hoping he's intending to play co-pilot with a (slightly) younger pilot willing to take him up.
Luckily, cocktail hour opened for me at 5:30 EST. Happy Friday to all!

Cheers! 🍷 Cocktail hour starts fairly soon here, too!

Happy Friday, hosers!

Y'all do know it's always 5:00 *somewhere*. right? ;) (she says as she sips her Old Fashioned.)
 
Dunno. The kid and I installed the battery this a.m. in the old FIL's plane--and did so only to preserve peace with the frau. Hoping he's intending to play co-pilot with a (slightly) younger pilot willing to take him up.
Luckily, cocktail hour opened for me at 5:30 EST. Happy Friday to all!

Cheers! 🍷 Cocktail hour starts fairly soon here, too!

Happy Friday, hosers!

Y'all do know it's always 5:00 *somewhere*. right? ;) (she says as she sips her Old Fashioned.)

Just finished cutting the grass - what’s left of it after I’ve added all my garden beds! I definitely earned a cocktail or two.

TGIFF! Cheers!


@jeffashman DSU?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom