When I moved in, we ripped out the horribly boring beige carpeting and re-did the floors. I couldn't afford full-plank hardwood, and I also thought I was going to have to save up for it and do it later, but the engineered wood flooring was much more affordable than I realized, so I was able to do it before I moved in. So it's a layer of real hardwood on top, and the rest of the plank is a different kind of wood. Tongue and groove installation, so it wasn't hard, but it still took us a little over a week.
One other benefit of knowing that I was going to do the floors was that I didn't have to worry about drop clothes when repainting, since I was going to rip out the carpet anyway.
One of the smaller bedrooms, before and after:
View attachment 267393
View attachment 267394