The Coffee House

Another power outage yesterday, this time only a couple hours. That makes five this month, ranging from a few minutes to 10hrs. Yesterday the sun was shining, not a cloud in the sky and over 400 customers lost power in our area, apparently from a tree down.😳

Luckily I haven't lost power because there have been scattered outages in the area. My cable goes out every day... guess from the outages. After this front goes thru it's supposed to be - nice!! So they say.

Kind of a do-nothing, nothing-going-on kind of weekend.

Endeavor was Morse when he was young but I don't know if they ever revealed Morse's first name in that series, it's been awhile since it was on. There are a lot of good PBS series they could rerun if you ask me.

I, Claudius was good! One summer a local PBS channel showed it, and I don't think I'd ever seen it before. Another summer they showed Upstairs Downstairs.

Jeff I didn't know that about John Cleese. He is a talent. And a nut! lol I liked Lord Peter and Harriet on PBS, love those Dorothy Sayers books.

Another power outage yesterday, this time only a couple hours. That makes five this month, ranging from a few minutes to 10hrs. Yesterday the sun was shining, not a cloud in the sky and over 400 customers lost power in our area, apparently from a tree down.😳
That's a lot of recent outages! They're unsettling when you can't get an answer as to the cause, and anticipated restore time.

Do you all have a generator? Seems like you mentioned getting one. 🤔

With that many outages I hope you have a generator. Storms blew thru here today with high winds. Outages in the neighboring towns and fortunately we still have power. Blew all the large tree plants that are in pots on the patio over.

Our daily storm went through a little while ago. The lights did flicker and the cable box did a reboot, but we never lost power. The NWS alert system is going off every 20 jammin' minutes, though. Come on, peopl;e, we all know the general weather pattern is from west to east, so Stafford, Fairfax, Prince William Counties; then DC; then Prince George's, Montogomery, Charles Counties; and finally Anne Arundel, Calvert, and Saint Mary's Counties. After that it's over the Chesapeake and the Eastern Shore.

But, then again, there are a bunch of people that don't have less sense than a hammer, so they'll stay out on golf courses and other open areas. These are the same people that tend to run kerosene space heaters inside their homes in winter.

Last edited:
@terri and @CherylL We live on a ridge on one side of a narrow valley. The people on the other side are served by a different provider. They hardly ever lose power, it's frustrating to sit in a dark house and see their lights a mile away shinning bright. Customers have complained to the PSC many times but it hasn't received much response. The storm earlier in the week took out close to 60% of their total customers. They have two serious problems, they aren't maintaining their right of ways so trees are a constant threat, and the antiquated lines and equipment needs updating.

Come on, peopl;e, we all know the general weather pattern is from west to east, so

It's odd you say this as we've been talking about this for the last few weeks. For as long as I can remember our storms have always been SW to NE, except when hurricanes come. The storms from the SW are the ones that produce tornadoes. The past couple months we've had nasty storms moving north to south. No tornadoes from them, but serious straight line winds upwards of 70 mph. They move through rapidly like a bulldozer.

The people on the other side are served by a different provider. They hardly ever lose power, it's frustrating to sit in a dark house and see their lights a mile away shinning bright.
Ha! We had a similar situation, only this was in our former subdivision where we lived for 23 years. Somehow the providers changed and split through the subdivision, and the line was on our street.

We'd sit without power and look across the street at all the lights in everyone's homes. When we queried (okay, begged) to switch one year, we were politely declined. Maddening.

Yes, southwest to northeast but both work for this context.

I once had to make a map for an Emergency Operations exercise. The exercise scenario was a tornado with touch-down near a housing development, and the track was to the NW toward, and close to two schools. If I recall, the damage path was to be up to 1,000 or 1.500 feet wide and maybe a mile or so long. The problem was most tornadoes move from southwest to northeast or west to east.

The moral of the story: the exercise is always right.

Hey Hosers! Staying at a friends for the weeekend to help her post shoulder surgery as she can’t use her dominant arm at all right now. Quite a hardship for me. This is the view from her patio. It’s a cool and sunny 72° here. Loving it!

IMG_3697.jpeg

Endeavor was Morse when he was young but I don't know if they ever revealed Morse's first name in that series, it's been awhile since it was on. There are a lot of good PBS series they could rerun if you ask me.

I, Claudius was good! One summer a local PBS channel showed it, and I don't think I'd ever seen it before. Another summer they showed Upstairs Downstairs.

Jeff I didn't know that about John Cleese. He is a talent. And a nut! lol I liked Lord Peter and Harriet on PBS, love those Dorothy Sayers books.
We just finished re-watching "Endeavor" and started re-watching" Inspector Morse". At the end of the last episode of "Endeavor", when Thursday and Endeavor are saying goodbye, Thursday calls him "Endeavor" and he replies, "Just Morse."
This is just before Endeavor, in the black Jaguar, passes Morse, in the red Jaguar - brilliant! Of course in the books Morse drove a Rover. not a Jaguar. BTW, at the web site RadioEchoes you can find wonderful 80 minute British radio versions of Morse books. Just last night I listened to "The Wench is Dead" and it was excellent in every way. Radio Echoes is a great site for old time - and not so old time - radio shows. It is free, safe, and comprehensive, and accepts voluntary contributions.

Hey Hosers! Staying at a friends for the weeekend to help her post shoulder surgery as she can’t use her dominant arm at all right now. Quite a hardship for me. This is the view from her patio. It’s a cool and sunny 72° here. Loving it!

View attachment 267710

envy-beaver.gif

Most reactions

Back