What's new

The Coffee House

So I continue on working on my local paradise in the back yard, and I'll probably retire in place.

I'd always promised DW that when we retired she could pick the place. We both liked the mountains of TN. Unfortunately when we started in looking in 2015 the prices of property there were at an all time high. I'd bought a small farm here in AL several years ago for hunting and timber, always told her we could one day build there. She wasn't having it though as she'd only rarely been there down a shortcut that wasn't the best of roads. After searching and searching in TN we finally found a 60 acre mountain top, with enough hardwood that I could selectively cut and pay for most of the asking price. Had 5 springs on the property and border a nice stream on the back side. Problem was it was 45 mins to the nearest quick shop. On the way back she asked if there was another way into the AL farm. Despite being in the country, she found out she was only 15 mins from 3 super Walmarts, so here we are.
 
Insurance companies have pulled out of FL. Add in a few major hurricanes and insurance is expensive. I've heard rates going up 2x and 3x in the past year.
It'll be this kind of thing that drives my sister out of there. She's pretty dug in and tolerant of all the other stuff.
 
Hi all it’s early am here 03:08 BST had way tooooooo much coffee today and to be honest it’s a crud night.
lost my sm dog molly on Friday night. aged 14
decided that as soon as I get time I am going to work at doing people portrait photography.... it’s my nemesis
animals ok, stuffed toys ok ....
anyone out there want to give me their tuppence worth of advice on doing people portrait photography?
So sorry to hear about Molly’s passing.
 
Hey hosers.

August is over!!!

Sorry about Molly :(

You couldn't pay me enough to ever live in Florida again. Seriously, there's not enough money in the world.

In other news, today is the first official day of tenure.
giphy.gif
 
Hey hosers.

August is over!!!

Sorry about Molly :(

You couldn't pay me enough to ever live in Florida again. Seriously, there's not enough money in the world.

In other news, today is the first official day of tenure.
giphy.gif
Congratulations!
 
Whoopeee
It’s Friday, the time to play ….. that”s if iam not to tired lol
 
Well, it's Friday again! Woohoo!! Off to prepare Tuscan salmon (salmon simmered in heavy cream with wilted spinach, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, and shallots), Caprisi salad (mozzarella, tomato, and basil, with olive oil and balsamic vinegar), and Brussels Sprouts. It's always a popular meal around here. :)
 
Well, it's Friday again! Woohoo!! Off to prepare Tuscan salmon (salmon simmered in heavy cream with wilted spinach, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, and shallots), Caprisi salad (mozzarella, tomato, and basil, with olive oil and balsamic vinegar), and Brussels Sprouts. It's always a popular meal around here. :)
Your body is a temple, Jeff. Eat some junk food occasionally to up your desecration index! Long weekend retox here+back ribs, spatchcocked chicken, Ontario lamb and an experimental paella
on a Weber charcoal bbq---Spanish pan just fits. Should amuse the neighbors if nothing else!
 
The home office is finally useable. The furniture is in place and the rug is down. We still have to put in the ceiling, replace the paneling, and lighting, and I need a bookcase, but at least I can work at a real desk again. I also got the third (of four) train tables dismantled. Once we go through (meaning get rid of) the boxes that were stored underneath, I‘ll be able to get the table saw set up.

Since we accomplished two more pieces of the house puzzle, MLW and I took a drive to DelMarVa for a produce stand run, today. We picked up a very large tomato, some sweet white corn, a few peaches, a watermelon, a cantaloupe, and a couple bottles of cider (peach and blueberry). We had tomato sandwiches for dinner. I’ll grill something Sunday.

We‘re going to try to attend a few events this month and in October: the Annapolis Italian Festival, a Jeep Rally benefiting Wreaths Across America (Maryland, specifically), and the “Apple/Scrapple” Festival. We might even hit one of the Octoberfest celebrations in the region.
 
Last edited:
I had bacon today, hosers. :icon_eek:

In other news, my long-awaited new chairs arrived for the sunroom:

20230901_092641.webp


This means I finally removed the lawn chairs I've been using for the last year. I have actual grownup chairs now. :1247: Time to consider paint in there, and get a lamp.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom