What's new

The Coffee House

Hey hosers.

August is over!!!

Sorry about Molly :(

You couldn't pay me enough to ever live in Florida again. Seriously, there's not enough money in the world.

In other news, today is the first official day of tenure.
giphy.gif
Great! Must be nice to leave behind the "Folding Chair" in your discipline.
 
There is no joy in Margaritaville today:


Died in his sleep, is all that's being reported. Didn't see that one coming. 😕
 
There is no joy in Margaritaville today:


Died in his sleep, is all that's being reported. Didn't see that one coming. 😕

Went to one of his concerts during my younger days. it was crazy! People were tailgating for 10 hours before the show. They brought uhaul trucks with whole rooms of furniture. Someone brought sand and a kiddie pool and umbrellas and made their own beach. There was a tiki bar set up on a flatbed with booze in the blender, making frozen concoctions to help us hang on. It was a blast! But alas, I stepped on a pop top, blew out my flip flop, had to cruise on back home…
 
Saw him at the local college gym, cost $5 for the public and $4 for students. We sat in the bleachers about 20 feet from him. This was in the early 70's.

He has a song about someone in a gorilla suit, some college kid showed up in a gorilla suit and he pulled them up on stage when they did that song.
 
I read his book that he wrote. It wasn’t bad.
 
I read his book that he wrote. It wasn’t bad.
I didn't even know he'd published a book. But then I can't claim to have been a full-on Parrothead, like some of my friends were. Just appreciated a lot of the music, and various good deeds.
 
My plan for my backyard retirement paradise is a deck with a mini bar, which will have a "It's five o'clock somewhere" sign, and a lost and found with a saltshaker in it, all inspired by his music. I almost lost a DJ job at my college for playing, "Let's get drunk and screw" because in 1980 that was a no-no that could have cost the station it's license. A far cry from today, for sure.
 
My plan for my backyard retirement paradise is a deck with a mini bar, which will have a "It's five o'clock somewhere" sign, and a lost and found with a saltshaker in it, all inspired by his music. I almost lost a DJ job at my college for playing, "Let's get drunk and screw" because in 1980 that was a no-no that could have cost the station it's license. A far cry from today, for sure.

I recall that song being played in Florida in college (late 80s - early 90s). I distinctly recall one occasion of it being played at about 2 or 3 a.m. in Skeeters in Gainesville as I was with some friends after a night out and was consuming a tomato and cheddar omelette, and because I was still quite drunk, it was THE BEST OMELETTE EVER and I don't know that I have ever been that enthusiastic about an omelette since then, and so I will always remember it as well as the song that accompanied that meal. 😅
 
If you ever get to Gulf Shores, AL, Destin, FL. Or Myrtle Beach, try out Lulu's, Jimmy Buffet's little sister's place. Eclectic place that to me is better than the overhyped Margeritavilles.
 
We saw Jimmy in concert back in 2015. Fun time! Lots of people in the parking lot partying. We've been to his restaurants in Cancun and on Cozumel. We get lunch at the airport Margarittaville restaurant on our trip home from Mexico.
 
I almost lost a DJ job at my college for playing, "Let's get drunk and screw" because in 1980 that was a no-no that could have cost the station it's license. A far cry from today, for sure.
"They say you are a snuff queen, but honey I don't think that's true, so why don't we get drunk and screw."

Ha ha, laughing because at the concert at the college the Chancler was there with his wife, they got up and walked on that song. Everyone else fall apart laughing.
 
My plan for my backyard retirement paradise is a deck with a mini bar, which will have a "It's five o'clock somewhere" sign, and a lost and found with a saltshaker in it, all inspired by his music. I almost lost a DJ job at my college for playing, "Let's get drunk and screw" because in 1980 that was a no-no that could have cost the station it's license. A far cry from today, for sure.
That's hilarious! And a great story because you didn't get fired and the station had no trouble. ;)
My plan for my backyard retirement paradise is a deck with a mini bar, which will have a "It's five o'clock somewhere" sign, and a lost and found with a saltshaker in it, all inspired by his music.
Sounds like a party, then! You'll have to invite us all over when it's finished. Only, wait until it's not too hot to sit outside and enjoy it - you know, like in November. :icon_sunny:
 
DW and I are exhausted. Hosted a family day cookout at the Lake. Grandkids rode the golf cart till they drained the batteries, paddled around on the kayaks and paddle boat while the cart charged then rode again. They were all wore out by the time they left a little bit ago. Think everyone will sleep good tonight. Hope everyone is having a good weekend
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom