What's new

The Coffee House

We broke 100 today it was 101, surprisingly it waited until September. Got in my truck to go shopping at the builder's store and the truck said 115! I was like WUUUTT?! Then realized that it was parked in the sun. Like everyone else, it's going to be that way all week with no rain.
 
As soon as the sun started to go down it dropped to a nice comfortable 75° here. I don’t mind working when it’s hot like this.
 
Due to the heat tomorrow and Friday they are dismissing school at noon both days. Now all the working parents are scrambling to figure out child care… they don’t build the schools with ac as it’s not typically needed in September here.
 
Due to the heat tomorrow and Friday they are dismissing school at noon both days. Now all the working parents are scrambling to figure out child care… they don’t build the schools with ac as it’s not typically needed in September here.
Brings back memories of the days in elementary school on an Air Base in Southern Turkiye on those hot Mediterranean days in Quonset hut classrooms with these huge fans droning on and putting all the kiddos to sleep. They finally built a regular school building, but still no AC and still with those large fans keeping us "cool." They had to close a high school here in the last week or so due to the AC failing. Snow days, and now heat days...
 
Happy weekend, hosers. We are thinking about dinner and a movie this weekend; My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 and a Mediterranean Restaurant down the way. Next weekend is the Annapolis Italian festival. 🇮🇹:boogie:

The laptop decided to stop having seizures and die. I just ordered a couple USB enclosures for the hard drive and the SSD so I can easily get to the data. I’m still not sure what to replace it with but most likely not another laptop, Between the phone and the tablet, I really don’t need one.
 
Last edited:
Heat has finally broken, only getting up into the lower 80's. And getting a nice rain now, thunder boomer just dropped a 1/2 inch or so.
 
Heat has finally broken, only getting up into the lower 80's. And getting a nice rain now, thunder boomer just dropped a 1/2 inch or so.
We had a nice little thunderstorm this morning, and it seems the heat has finally broken here. It will actually get down into the upper 60's at night by the end of the week. It's about time, too!
 
We had a nice little thunderstorm this morning, and it seems the heat has finally broken here. It will actually get down into the upper 60's at night by the end of the week. It's about time, too!
I hope it lasts! You all have been through the mill down there this summer.

Our main complaint up here has been the effects of the smoke from the Canada wildfires, which they just let burn themselves away. Several bad air quality days, even with decent rain and moderate temps.
 
Not in the 90s here anymore, but even low 80s today felt gross with the 90% humidity. I just popped out to the store briefly and I felt like I was swimming through the air. It was cloudy at least, but if just felt so gross and muggy, even in the air conditioned grocery store. We had storms yesterday and today, and it's going to continue raining for the next two days, so humidity isn't going down any time soon. At least the temps will be in the 70s for the rest of the week, except one brief foray into low 80s on Tuesday, and the nighttime lows are going to dip into the 50s.

If I say "I'm ready for summer to be over already" it implies that I was okay with it at some point during the summer, but it's just gone on longer than I care for. The truth is, I'm ready for summer to be over before it even begins. I just need it to be done with!

August is over but this past week was the hardest week of the entire enrollment season. If any of you have college-aged children or grandchildren and have any influence, I BEG of you to please not allow them to leave everything to the last minute, and if you MUST accompany them to register for classes, do NOT get all pissy with the staff about the 2+ hour wait or closed classes because it's not our fault that registration has been open since April but y'all waited until 2 days AFTER the semester started to finally enroll in classes.
 
Nasty thunderstorm with hail and 66mph winds whipped through Princess’s campus yesterday. Lots of trees and power lines down. Campus is still mostly without power. Had to move their opening home football game to Harvard stadium. It barely grazed us here about 20 miles south. We got a bit of one today with some hail. I rescued a lot of my dahlias before it hit. Bouquets for everyone!
 
T-storm late yesterday afternoon, followed by the flash flood warning along the Patuxent (we’re closer to the Potomac). It’s in the low 70s and only supposed to hit 82 so the windows are open.
 
On this fateful day I was teaching an Object Oriented Analysis and Design class at a hotel near DFW airport. One of the students asked to turn on the TV, because something was going on. The rest was history. Let's never forget where hate takes the world, and the suffering and loss of life it causes. NEVER. FORGET.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom