What's new

The Coffee House

Looking good, @Fujidave !

Tired today, a bit lethargic. Same reaction as last Covid booster - the Pfizer one, anyway. Only had the Moderna once and won't do that one again if I can help it. It had me sick for a couple days, teeth chattering in the middle of the night and generally feeling awful. I've not had Covid at all, so I'm fine going with the so-called "milder" Pfizer vax and just staying alert to the local outbreaks - if any.

In other news: happy Friday, hosers! A cold and wet weekend in store. Didn't I say that last weekend, too? :icon_scratch:

:lol:

@snowbear : Your weekend sounds like fall chores! Make sure to get some fun in there, sometime.
 
Happy Friday! My recent bout with covid was the chills and fever and loss of sense of smell and taste. I have to wait 90 days to get the booster. This weekend will get up to almost 90F, but with overcast skies. I didn't go out last weekend, because I was still feeling slightly under the weather. Hoping this weekend will be better.
 
The weather crew got this weekend's forecast wrong, I'm happy to say. Lots more sun than expected. It's cool and breezy, but good for some outside work. Leaves are coming down fast all of a sudden. We had them all raked up and the yard looking nice yesterday, and it already looks like we haven't done a thing!

This weekend will get up to almost 90F,
Ewww. :lol: Thanks for the Southern temps reminder! We'll be in the mid to upper 70sF by mid-week, and they've really backed off on the rain.

I do feel bad for the trick or treaters - it could change again, but atm it looks to be an overcast and chilly day. I grew up around here, and remember well having to put on sweaters and leggings under my costume on most years.
 
Hey hosers.

I need to schedule my jabs. Whether Pfizer or Moderna, I generally just feel like I have a cold for a day or two and then I feel better. I actually had the opposite of @terri - I had a milder reaction from the Moderna than with the Pfizer. I also have either not had COVID at all or was totally asymptomatic. But I am still getting the jabs.

I also have to figure out a good time to get the shingles vaccine, but I think I will wait for Jan or Feb for that. It's fine to do flu and COVID at the same time, but then I will need to wait for a little while.

Heading to Maine at the end of the week, so I will hopefully be missing the weather here, which will be heading up into the mid-to-high-70s. I know that doesn't sound too awful, but for crying out loud, it's late October in the Northeast, we should NOT have temps approaching 80 degrees! Enough!

In the meantime, the baking continues. Rosemary and olive oil bread, and it is glorious.

PXL_20231022_010715776.webp
 
Hey hosers.

I need to schedule my jabs. Whether Pfizer or Moderna, I generally just feel like I have a cold for a day or two and then I feel better. I actually had the opposite of @terri - I had a milder reaction from the Moderna than with the Pfizer. I also have either not had COVID at all or was totally asymptomatic. But I am still getting the jabs.

I also have to figure out a good time to get the shingles vaccine, but I think I will wait for Jan or Feb for that. It's fine to do flu and COVID at the same time, but then I will need to wait for a little while.

Heading to Maine at the end of the week, so I will hopefully be missing the weather here, which will be heading up into the mid-to-high-70s. I know that doesn't sound too awful, but for crying out loud, it's late October in the Northeast, we should NOT have temps approaching 80 degrees! Enough!

In the meantime, the baking continues. Rosemary and olive oil bread, and it is glorious.

View attachment 269559
Nice bread! Hoping to try some sourdough flavored with weirdo fruit-flavored strong Belgian beers smuggled from Quebec.
Flu plus new Covid booster tomorrow. Reaction usually akin to a sub-lethal hangover for 24-36hrs. Bit of sleet early this a.m. on the morning hike. Not welcome...
 
Hey hosers.

I need to schedule my jabs. Whether Pfizer or Moderna, I generally just feel like I have a cold for a day or two and then I feel better. I actually had the opposite of @terri - I had a milder reaction from the Moderna than with the Pfizer. I also have either not had COVID at all or was totally asymptomatic. But I am still getting the jabs.

I also have to figure out a good time to get the shingles vaccine, but I think I will wait for Jan or Feb for that. It's fine to do flu and COVID at the same time, but then I will need to wait for a little while.

Heading to Maine at the end of the week, so I will hopefully be missing the weather here, which will be heading up into the mid-to-high-70s. I know that doesn't sound too awful, but for crying out loud, it's late October in the Northeast, we should NOT have temps approaching 80 degrees! Enough!

In the meantime, the baking continues. Rosemary and olive oil bread, and it is glorious.

View attachment 269559
That bread looks amazing! You're baking this in your new Le Crueset, correct? What size is this one, if I may ask? Ima ready to throw down myself - I stopped baking bread some years back just because it got too troublesome, shaping loaves by hand.
 
That bread looks amazing! You're baking this in your new Le Crueset, correct? What size is this one, if I may ask? Ima ready to throw down myself - I stopped baking bread some years back just because it got too troublesome, shaping loaves by hand.
Not sure the bread cares what it's baked in, enameled cast iron-wise. We splurged on Creuset but they multi-task for all sorts of cooking. Same-size ceramics work, too, but are less durable. Parchment paper lining helps.
Mentioned it before but the King Arthur Baker's Companion book is worth a look.
 
Heading to Maine at the end of the week
Wave “Hi” to lazy lobster as you go up the coast; they are in Auburn.

I put the little hibiscus tree in a five-gallon bucket and brought it inside for the winter. As I was going from the back to the front with the bucket, I tripped on a piece of pipe and fell, scraping my knee, one toe, bruising another toe, and knocking the hot air out of me. Apologies to Paul Simon: Still clumsy after all these years.

The pipe is for holding the fence gate open (a rod attached to one side of the gate slides into the pipe) and is supposed to be flush with the ground. For some reason it was sticking up three or four inches above ground level. After getting the little tree inside and verifying I had no real damage, I grabbed the sawzall, inserted a metal cutting blade and jacked in a freak battery. 30 seconds and it was flush again.
 
That bread looks amazing! You're baking this in your new Le Crueset, correct? What size is this one, if I may ask? Ima ready to throw down myself - I stopped baking bread some years back just because it got too troublesome, shaping loaves by hand.

Yup, it's baked in the Dutch oven. Mine is 3.5 quarts. I have been doing no-knead loaves that can be left overnight to rise, but this was a kneaded dough. I like kneading dough, it's very satisfying.
 
Not sure the bread cares what it's baked in, enameled cast iron-wise. We splurged on Creuset but they multi-task for all sorts of cooking. Same-size ceramics work, too, but are less durable. Parchment paper lining helps.
Mentioned it before but the King Arthur Baker's Companion book is worth a look.

I plan on using the Le Crueset for other things - even with that good of a sale, I wouldn't have splurged on the Dutch oven just for bread. I just haven't used it for anything else yet. I like making things like daal or hearty winter soups. But yeah, it has definitely sparked a baking spree. I do use parchement paper, and it makes things a lot easier.
 
I like kneading dough, it's very satisfying.
Agreed! My process has been to get the dough going in a stand mixer, with a dough hook, but that's just to get it to a certain consistency. Eventually it needs the knead!

Okay, thanks for the size info. I knew mine was probably too large. Now I know what to tease for at Christmas. :winksexy:
 
I have been using my best phone as a camera lately, so I did not have a SIM in it, and it looks like I lost it. It probably dropped out of my pocket somewhere. Great. Just what I didn't need. . . .
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom