What's new

The Coffee House

No more freezing for us for a while. I checked out the faucet that I posted the pic of earlier. No damage. Best I can think is that the rubber washer shrank and it was leaking a bit, sort of a self-drip. Once the ice inside the cover had melted, I removed it and just dripped the faucet for the remaining freeze nights. I shut it off completely today, and it drained out the remaining water. Really strange, but I'll take it. Now I know why the plumbing company was in no hurry to come out. They had a lot of actual frozen pipes to deal with, and that saved me some money, since they charge just to drive past the house it seems.

On another note, I found a package of lean stew beef in the freezer, so I got creative. I found a can of French onion soup, and I had some onions and shallots and a half-consumed bottle of pinot noir, so I browned the beef, put it in the crock pot, covered the meat with onions, shallots, and garlic, covered those with "baby" carrots, dusted the whole thing with rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper, and poured the onion soup and a cup of the wine over top. Put on the lid, set it to high, and left it to do it's thing. Near the end I took a bag of frozen green beans and heated them up, then dumped them in the pot and stirred it all up. House smells fantastic and dinner was a success!
 
No more freezing for us for a while. I checked out the faucet that I posted the pic of earlier. No damage. Best I can think is that the rubber washer shrank and it was leaking a bit, sort of a self-drip. Once the ice inside the cover had melted, I removed it and just dripped the faucet for the remaining freeze nights. I shut it off completely today, and it drained out the remaining water. Really strange, but I'll take it. Now I know why the plumbing company was in no hurry to come out. They had a lot of actual frozen pipes to deal with, and that saved me some money, since they charge just to drive past the house it seems.

On another note, I found a package of lean stew beef in the freezer, so I got creative. I found a can of French onion soup, and I had some onions and shallots and a half-consumed bottle of pinot noir, so I browned the beef, put it in the crock pot, covered the meat with onions, shallots, and garlic, covered those with "baby" carrots, dusted the whole thing with rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper, and poured the onion soup and a cup of the wine over top. Put on the lid, set it to high, and left it to do it's thing. Near the end I took a bag of frozen green beans and heated them up, then dumped them in the pot and stirred it all up. House smells fantastic and dinner was a success!
That sounds delicious!! I love being able to do things on the fly like that. :) Huzzah!

Good news about that exterior faucet. That looked like it could have been an expensive issue.

We're out of the hard freeze too. Some sleet and rain, now just rain, and we'll be in the 40sF by mid-week. Lots of melting snow coming!
 
Good morning Photopeeps! We've gone from Winter to a wet Spring. Lots of rain yesterday, more today, and looks like its going to rain for the next two days. The dogs are asking if they can just "go" inside...

In other news, we got notified that not only did our mortgage company suffer a major data breach, but so did our dental insurance company, and EVERYTHING was exposed. Will be putting a credit freeze in place today, to prevent someone from taking out a loan in our name. Very aggravating and annoying.
 
Yep, it does.
I've only been getting maybe 2-4 hours a sleep per night for the last several weeks. Its taking a toll on me. I'm sure once the days get longer and warmer and I'm outside more...it will get better. Winter is always a harder time for me to sleep, no idea why.
 
I've only been getting maybe 2-4 hours a sleep per night for the last several weeks. Its taking a toll on me. I'm sure once the days get longer and warmer and I'm outside more...it will get better. Winter is always a harder time for me to sleep, no idea why.

I have found magnesium glycine supplements help with sleep and mood. However, the most effective thing I’ve tried is the daylight simulation lights to help prevent SAD. I use them in fall and winter during the day and for several hours after the sun goes down. I also cut way back on any caffeine after 5pm. My sleep has improved a lot. Good luck!
 
I have found magnesium glycine supplements help with sleep and mood. However, the most effective thing I’ve tried is the daylight simulation lights to help prevent SAD. I use them in fall and winter during the day and for several hours after the sun goes down. I also cut way back on any caffeine after 5pm. My sleep has improved a lot. Good luck!
I'm sure my caffeine intake isn't help me any. But I typically no longer drink caffeine after 12pm and I been only have one cup in the morning with my breakfast. But yea I been going through a lot of life changes recently my mind feels busy with lots of noise if that makes any sense. During the day I'm ok but when I get into bed, its like suddenly my brain wants to do calculations and troubleshooting lol and so I lay there toss and turn all night and then get frustrated that I can't fall asleep. I might try reading a book instead of scrolling on my phone before bed..might help.
 
I'm sure my caffeine intake isn't help me any. But I typically no longer drink caffeine after 12pm and I been only have one cup in the morning with my breakfast. But yea I been going through a lot of life changes recently my mind feels busy with lots of noise if that makes any sense. During the day I'm ok but when I get into bed, its like suddenly my brain wants to do calculations and troubleshooting lol and so I lay there toss and turn all night and then get frustrated that I can't fall asleep. I might try reading a book instead of scrolling on my phone before bed..might help.

Oh I hate those nights when I’m tired but my brain is busy busy! Check with your dr if you’re on other meds obviously - but try the magnesium if they say it’s ok for you.
 
Oh I hate those nights when I’m tired but my brain is busy busy! Check with your dr if you’re on other meds obviously - but try the magnesium if they say it’s ok for you.
If I had health insurance I would but its too much for me out of pocket. Insomnia kinda comes with the territory of depression I guess. I'm trying to get back to working out regularly as it seemed to help a lot. Just struggling with the cold air and dryness. I'm a humid weather person lol.
 
I'm sure my caffeine intake isn't help me any. But I typically no longer drink caffeine after 12pm and I been only have one cup in the morning with my breakfast. But yea I been going through a lot of life changes recently my mind feels busy with lots of noise if that makes any sense. During the day I'm ok but when I get into bed, its like suddenly my brain wants to do calculations and troubleshooting lol and so I lay there toss and turn all night and then get frustrated that I can't fall asleep. I might try reading a book instead of scrolling on my phone before bed..might help.
Welcome to my world. My brain tries to start solving the problems of the Universe after I lie down to go to bed. I usually have a mug of Sleep Tight and Calm CBD tea, which helps a little. I used to take prescription sleeping pills, but realized that I was probably doing more harm than good, so I stopped.
 
Insomnia sucks. That's all I have to say.
I had bad insomnia for years, used to drink to fall asleep and I would wake up drunk to go into work. Now I meditate just before bed, and it shuts down all that chatter that won’t let me sleep. I also meditate when I wake up to give me focus on the day ahead. And in the afternoon if I feel squirrelly. I use the Meditation Moments app on my phone.
 
If I had health insurance I would but its too much for me out of pocket. Insomnia kinda comes with the territory of depression I guess. I'm trying to get back to working out regularly as it seemed to help a lot. Just struggling with the cold air and dryness. I'm a humid weather person lol.
It’s OTC, no dr needed.

The dryness is the worst thing about winter! And humidifiers are a pita.


Hosers! Snow here last night. Enough that will have to clear the walkways but not enough to break out the snow blower. It’s been that kind of winter! Heading outside in a few to clear a path for the UPs guy as we’re expecting a package today (nothing for me 😕).
 
It’s OTC, no dr needed.

The dryness is the worst thing about winter! And humidifiers are a pita.


Hosers! Snow here last night. Enough that will have to clear the walkways but not enough to break out the snow blower. It’s been that kind of winter! Heading outside in a few to clear a path for the UPs guy as we’re expecting a package today (nothing for me 😕).

I agree...humidifiers are a huge pita. I used to have one and when I woke up in the morning everything was covered in a white dust but I guess if I used distilled water it would help prevent that. They just require tons of maintenance but I have a lot of electronics too and probably not good for them either. So I gave up on humidifiers too.
 
I agree...humidifiers are a huge pita. I used to have one and when I woke up in the morning everything was covered in a white dust but I guess if I used distilled water it would help prevent that. They just require tons of maintenance but I have a lot of electronics too and probably not good for them either. So I gave up on humidifiers too.
Plants might help!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom