What's new

The Coffee House

Howdy folks! Sunny but chilly days this week... it rained all during the weekend, of course. To really make me happy, I found out today that my A1C is almost over the line, so it looks like a drastic cut in carbs, especially sweets and fried carbs. Ugh! No more burgers and fries, ice cream, cakes, cookies. I can do without those, but like caffeine, cutting back will result in headaches at first. Aging is fun, they said, you'll enjoy it, they said...

1st of November because of liver, pancrease and kidney isues I was told I had to lose a substantial amount of weight. Put me on 1450 calories per day, no fats, etc. So far I've lost about 35 lbs. Dr told me this week I could continue to lose weight or could level off, but still layoff the McDonald's burgers and fries.🫠

In my case coffee actually helps my liver issues. Losing the weight has also resulted in significant health benefits. I've dropped off two blood pressure meds, and will taper off a third. My knees and back are better, and I'm walking more.
 
Beautiful crisp warm day for a walk at the Watershed. Counted 12 geese, 3 turtles and 2 muskrats. The geese look rather plump. Is it nesting season?
It seems early, but I do trust the instincts of the local wildlife. We're suddenly seeing possums, and birds at the feeders who haven't been around since late November.
 
1st of November because of liver, pancrease and kidney isues I was told I had to lose a substantial amount of weight. Put me on 1450 calories per day, no fats, etc. So far I've lost about 35 lbs. Dr told me this week I could continue to lose weight or could level off, but still layoff the McDonald's burgers and fries.🫠

In my case coffee actually helps my liver issues. Losing the weight has also resulted in significant health benefits. I've dropped off two blood pressure meds, and will taper off a third. My knees and back are better, and I'm walking more.
That sounds like a very good report! One thing does seem to lead to another, and it's a healthy trend. Good on ya!
 
I get Lasik today! Praying for a great outcome so I don't need glass to take pictures anymore! It's been since 3rd grade and I'm 49.
Obstructed Views-1-2.webp
 
Everytime I open my fridge in the morning to make my breakfast, I keep seeing my limited film stock in there thinking I need to use it up. Thinking about picking up the OG Olympus XA. But dang they are pricey little things!
 
"Lee Friedlander once slyly assessed his promiscuous eye by saying, “I tend to photograph the things that get in front of my camera.”" I just read this in article from 2019 in the New Yorker and thought it was worth sharing. (As a subscriber I get "classic" articles via e-mail. The full article is about Friedlander's photos of his wife through their long and happy marriage. BTW, the lead article was "At Home With the Marquis de Sade" and is about his marriage.
 
"Lee Friedlander once slyly assessed his promiscuous eye by saying, “I tend to photograph the things that get in front of my camera.”" I just read this in article from 2019 in the New Yorker and thought it was worth sharing. (As a subscriber I get "classic" articles via e-mail. The full article is about Friedlander's photos of his wife through their long and happy marriage. BTW, the lead article was "At Home With the Marquis de Sade" and is about his marriage.
That magazine...Good coffee and The New Yorker(and the NYT)were things we popped for from broke-a$$ grad student days to the present. Always argued that penury encouraged connoisseurship, i.e., skip the crap if you can for the good stuff.

Historic aside: Partying last century at our first flat in Toronto sometimes required us to play traffic cop with the loo. Attendees would overstay their bathroom visit by reading New Yorkers stacked on the toilet tank.
 
Last edited:
I get Lasik today! Praying for a great outcome so I don't need glass to take pictures anymore! It's been since 3rd grade and I'm 49. View attachment 271810
Best wishes for a great outcome! That image looks like it was taken next to one of the gargoyles at NDC?
 
1.28 BST, HI all, in to much pain to sleep. today I spent hours changing the connecting leads on 6 batteries in parallel
the last two leads were way to long and I was getting voltage drop making the inverter stutter as volts dropped then built up as the inverter cut out. Now sorted and no more inverter stutter, I upped the batteries from 4 to 6 to up the Amp hours from 400 to 600 @12 v. Now I am paying for doing so with pain, even a double whisky has not had the desired effect today..... maybe I should drink more....... my typo’s are bad enough alreadddddddy lol
 
Goodbye long weekend, hello overtime.

Contractor borked a thing at work today and we have to fix it over the weekend. But there will hopefully be time to do photography stuff, especially since I have photos of the new TLR to print.

We shall see!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom