What's new

The Coffee House

I thought about sending him a cat, but I wasn't sure if it would arrive dead or alive.
What I did learn from it: It would arrive both dead and alive as the universe splits once he opens the box. :BangHead:

Just give me a paint brush.
 
I'm listening to a podcast about various "-ologies." This one is on quantum physics; I'm completely lost and getting a headache.
Why is your employer torturing you in this manner? 😲

Is this an annual thing?
 
It's a personal thing. I like the podcast but this one lost me.
 
It's a personal thing. I like the podcast but this one lost me.
Some suggested reading... 1) Quantum Strangeness: Wrestling with Bell's Theorem and the Ultimate Nature of Reality by George Greenstein. It's not a hard read, and he puts the information in palatable form. 2) Dance of the Photons: From Einstein to Quantum Teleportation by Anton Zeilinger, which is also a decent read. Anything by Richard Feynman, because he is a master at putting concepts in layman's terms.
 
Last edited:
Anything I know about physics or quantum theory I learned from Big Bang Theory and the Avengers.

1- the cat is both dead and alive until you open the box

2 - string theory is dead

3 - the quantum realm is a time warp where 7 years = a couple of hours
 
Well, about 3 weeks ago, somehow a stinkbug managed to get in between the panes of glass in the door of my campus office microwave. I asked someone to take said microwave clear across the building in the mailroom behind several doors. Later, I checked it and there was no stinkbug. Couldn't see it anywhere in or around the microwave. So it either went deeper into the guts of the microwave to die, or it left and died somewhere else.

That's kinda sorta like Schrödinger's stinkbug, no? It's both in or not in the microwave and I won't know until it breaks, at which I will be forced to smash it open to find out.

(ETA: I eventually brought it back to my office, despite wanting to burn it with fire and buy a new one. Instead, I bought new shoes.)
 
Chemistry stinks and Physics is math with toys.
 
Well, about 3 weeks ago, somehow a stinkbug managed to get in between the panes of glass in the door of my campus office microwave. I asked someone to take said microwave clear across the building in the mailroom behind several doors. Later, I checked it and there was no stinkbug. Couldn't see it anywhere in or around the microwave. So it either went deeper into the guts of the microwave to die, or it left and died somewhere else.

That's kinda sorta like Schrödinger's stinkbug, no? It's both in or not in the microwave and I won't know until it breaks, at which I will be forced to smash it open to find out.

(ETA: I eventually brought it back to my office, despite wanting to burn it with fire and buy a new one. Instead, I bought new shoes.)
Gift it to someone you quietly dislike. Then it's their journey--and problem.
 
Howdy hosers! Happy Friday! Yesterday I successfully completed another circumnavigation of the sun without crashing the starship. We are now at the time of year where the heat kicks in at night, and the AC kicks in during the day, and the house is buttoned up due to mountain cedar and the evil it brings to the air. Wife is miserable due to the pollen, and tried to get a sub for today, but no dice, so she had to take her sneezy, snuffly, achy self off to work. Howzit?
 
So I will be doing my first (albeit simple) camera modification this weekend. I'm really curious if it's going to make a difference. My first film SLR that I got requires a mecurty 1.3v battery which are no longer made (for a good reason) but that's how the meter was calibrated. If you plop in a 1.55v battery..it makes the meter hot and throws the exposure off if you go by it. So I learned about adding a diode into the circuit to drop the voltage to 1.3v which should correct the meter..hopefully!! Also got some silver-oxide batteries which should make it better by keeping consistent voltage.

I never done anything like this before...I have soldered a few things occasionally so I have some experience but I have to be careful not to use too much solder where it can short out, don't wanna damage the meter. Just going to take my time, hopefully it works out! If its a success, my multimeter should be reading the correct voltage after adding the diode then I'll compare it to my digital camera and see the reading is within the ballpark if so then I should be able to shoot some film with it and go by the meter for once which will make it a little more enjoyable to use.

It's a cheap modification so I figured by not give it a try! I'm trying my best to save this $12 camera I got that from the 70s. So far it's been a reliable beast!
 
So I will be doing my first (albeit simple) camera modification this weekend. I'm really curious if it's going to make a difference. My first film SLR that I got requires a mecurty 1.3v battery which are no longer made (for a good reason) but that's how the meter was calibrated. If you plop in a 1.55v battery..it makes the meter hot and throws the exposure off if you go by it. So I learned about adding a diode into the circuit to drop the voltage to 1.3v which should correct the meter..hopefully!! Also got some silver-oxide batteries which should make it better by keeping consistent voltage.

I never done anything like this before...I have soldered a few things occasionally so I have some experience but I have to be careful not to use too much solder where it can short out, don't wanna damage the meter. Just going to take my time, hopefully it works out! If its a success, my multimeter should be reading the correct voltage after adding the diode then I'll compare it to my digital camera and see the reading is within the ballpark if so then I should be able to shoot some film with it and go by the meter for once which will make it a little more enjoyable to use.

It's a cheap modification so I figured by not give it a try! I'm trying my best to save this $12 camera I got that from the 70s. So far it's been a reliable beast!
Is it a button battery? Duracell makes a 1.3v battery for cameras, so maybe that would work without having to mod the camera. If you check Amazon, Weincell makes a 1.35v button battery that is mercury free. Maybe one of those would work for you, then you wouldn't have to risk the camera.
 
Is it a button battery? Duracell makes a 1.3v battery for cameras, so maybe that would work without having to mod the camera. If you check Amazon, Weincell makes a 1.35v button battery that is mercury free. Maybe one of those would work for you, then you wouldn't have to risk the camera.

Its an LR44 sized battery. I couldn't find one...looks like those Wein cells would probably work but I have read about poor reliability on them. The batteries I got will last longer and should work fine after my mod. We'll see.
 
TGIF Hosers!! It’s been a busy week with work and real life. Looking forward to some down time this weekend as I have no scheduled plans!!!! The best kind of weekend. Maybe a movie, definitely some cosmos and hopefully some painting and reading, a long walk in the woods with the pup if weather is decent…
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom