The D7100

It is nothing revolutionary, just an upgrade to the D7000. Full Magnesium body, 24MP CMOS APS-C sensor, Expeed 3 processor, and improved auto focus system. An incrimental upgrade, but it is still an improvement. I would love to have one as a back-up to the D600. Maybe I will be able to get a used one in a year or so.

It is a 1.5 crop.

Taken from dpreview
The improvements aren't limited to still image capture - the D7100 also offers a nicely upgraded movie mode compared to the D7000. It gains 1080p30 shooting, rather than 24p, a built-in stereo microphones and an optional 1.3X crop mode, giving an effective focal length increase of 2X (making a 50mm lens behave like a 100mm). In this crop mode 50/60i movie recording is available, which suggests it comes from 50/60p, rather than being 25/30p capture which is then segmented, but Nikon is not clear on the distinction. Certainly the cropped mode allows faster frame-rates, since stills capture (now at 15MP) increases a touch, to 7fps.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d7100/

It is nothing revolutionary, just an upgrade to the D7000. Full Magnesium body, 24MP CMOS APS-C sensor, Expeed 3 processor, and improved auto focus system. An incrimental upgrade, but it is still an improvement. I would love to have one as a back-up to the D600. Maybe I will be able to get a used one in a year or so.

I think it depends on where you're coming from. The two things that excite me are:
1) The new sensor. The lack of an AA I believe will result in a huge jump in sharpness! (I could care less that its 24MP!) If the High-ISO performance is good, this is a clear winner and huge upgrade from my perspective!
2) The 51-point AF. This was main reason I jumped from my D90 to the D700 was. I use the 11-point for selection with 51-point for tracking and it makes a huge difference in the focusing accuracy for action shots with wide open prime lenses (where any focus issue can make or break a picture).

Overall, this is huge for me personally as I may stay with a cheaper DX/FX line-up instead of going with two FX cameras..

Okay, I just saw the 1.3 crop mode. So that takes the 1.5 (original factor) and multilies it by the 1.3(in this mode)? That is freaking AWESOME! So I can get a 70-200 2.8, and effectively have a 140-400 2.8 @ 13.5MP! That is a super concept! Plus a boosted frame rate. That is wicked cool! I definitely have to put this on the Christmas list for next year.

Okay, I just saw the 1.3 crop mode. So that takes the 1.5 (original factor) and multilies it by the 1.3(in this mode)? That is freaking AWESOME! So I can get a 70-200 2.8, and effectively have a 140-400 2.8 @ 13.5MP! That is a super concept! Plus a boosted frame rate. That is wicked cool! I definitely have to put this on the Christmas list for next year.

If this is the case, wildlife and sports photography just got cheaper lol.

It is a 1.5 crop.

Taken from dpreview
The improvements aren't limited to still image capture - the D7100 also offers a nicely upgraded movie mode compared to the D7000. It gains 1080p30 shooting, rather than 24p, a built-in stereo microphones and an optional 1.3X crop mode, giving an effective focal length increase of 2X (making a 50mm lens behave like a 100mm). In this crop mode 50/60i movie recording is available, which suggests it comes from 50/60p, rather than being 25/30p capture which is then segmented, but Nikon is not clear on the distinction. Certainly the cropped mode allows faster frame-rates, since stills capture (now at 15MP) increases a touch, to 7fps.

Nikon D7100 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

24fps for video is fine. Gives it the cinematic look. Every movie you've seen (with the exception of the hobbit) is shot in 24fps.

If this is the case, wildlife and sports photography just got cheaper lol.

Exactly what I was thinking!

I wonder if the new crop mode will simply be akin to cropping and then adjusting in photoshop - if that being the case it might not be much if any better than using software to get to the same end result.

I think the new crop mode is going to be useful mostly for video people, and for people shooting at high frame rates. It does seem to turn the camera into a 15MP 1/3x crop camera, which you can do with photoshop just as well or better. Doing it in-camera allows a higher frame rate for burst, and allows an effectively longer focal length for video (since they're downsampling anyways for video).

Video is what I suspected its for, Canon has a similar feature in the 60D though I think its limited to video only (I'm not sure). One can shoot stills and crop without much trouble, but I suspect its a lot harder to shoot a video and move the view around whilst trying to compose to crop later - cropping in the camera has all the gains for them

True, it is probably better for use in Video mode, but it is cool to think that you can get to 400mm @ 2.8 with this camera ($1200) and a 70-200 2.8 ($2400) for $3600. Far less than the 400mm 2.8 lens alone at $9000.

Great camera and if I was in the market for a new camera I would get it but I dont see a reason to sell my D7000 for it, this camera is a natural upgrade from the D7000 but there is nothing revolutionary here that will make me run to it.
I think I will keep my D7000 and when the time will come to replace it I will either go FF or go with the replacement of the D7100.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back