The food and drink thread

Trying something new today for supper.

I made pork Italian meat balls & a sauce made from tomatoes & peppers from the garden to be served over noodles made from a zucchini from the garden.

View attachment 196595

View attachment 196596

Ta da - -
P1010646.jpg

Watermelon gazpacho with tomato and lime, made this yesterday for the first time. Not quite what we expected, despite the basil, black perper and cucumber. Still requires some key work.

View attachment 196319

I say make it a bit chunkier, serve in a bowl, and sprinkle some feta cheese on top and a drizzle of olive oil.

I made pork Italian meat balls & a sauce made from tomatoes & peppers from the garden to be served over noodles made from a zucchini from the garden.

View attachment 196595

View attachment 196596

Ta da - -View attachment 196615

I've been curious about those utensils that spiral out veggies like this. It looks beautiful, and a great way to use zucchini! Is it as easy as it looks?

Terri, I used a mandolin but a flat or box grater would work as well.

View attachment 196595

View attachment 196596

Ta da - -View attachment 196615

I've been curious about those utensils that spiral out veggies like this. It looks beautiful, and a great way to use zucchini! Is it as easy as it looks?

Terri, I used a mandolin but a flat or box grater would work as well.
Ah, okay! Not what I was thinking of, but thanks!

Surinamese chicken su-oen
New recipe my wife made for dinner. It is tasty (chicken, mushrooms, spices, rice and thin soy sauce) and not really too spicey, but this dish looks a bit 'different' because of the Chinese vermicelli = glass noodles.

View attachment 196659

Boiling down tomatoes, 2 kinds of hot peppers, onion & garlic for hot sauce.

View attachment 196848

Finished.

View attachment 196865
Fantastic job! The best reason for having a lot of tomatoes is to be able to put some up, if you don't mind the work. Tastes so much better than any store-bought, and feels great reaching for them in the middle of January. We've also put up jalapenos before, though more for my hubby's taste than mine. None this year.

Our tomatoes were in containers this year - our first experiment with containers. The "grape" variety, Husky Cherry Red, is still producing, though it's definitely slowed down and the lower leaves are haggard. The other varietal, Bush Goliath, produced a better size, but had much lower output, seemed more subject to end-rot, and isn't one I'd bother with again. We're likely to order seeds and get started in the basement in late winter, so we can have more selection for container tomatoes. I've trimmed them and kept them going, but they're definitely winding down.

I can still hardly believe it's September. :icon_cheers: All my herbs are still going strong.

Boiling down tomatoes, 2 kinds of hot peppers, onion & garlic for hot sauce.

View attachment 196848

Finished.

View attachment 196865
Fantastic job! The best reason for having a lot of tomatoes is to be able to put some up, if you don't mind the work. Tastes so much better than any store-bought, and feels great reaching for them in the middle of January. We've also put up jalapenos before, though more for my hubby's taste than mine. None this year.

Our tomatoes were in containers this year - our first experiment with containers. The "grape" variety, Husky Cherry Red, is still producing, though it's definitely slowed down and the lower leaves are haggard. The other varietal, Bush Goliath, produced a better size, but had much lower output, seemed more subject to end-rot, and isn't one I'd bother with again. We're likely to order seeds and get started in the basement in late winter, so we can have more selection for container tomatoes. I've trimmed them and kept them going, but they're definitely winding down.

I can still hardly believe it's September. :icon_cheers: All my herbs are still going strong.

My cherry toms this year are Sweet Millions (first time) & they are very productive & live up to the name "sweet". The ground around them is littered with the skins as the critters suck out the insides & spit out the skins.

20181225_150728.jpg
Here are some of the things I have cooked on my smoker and grill in the last few years.
20200708_144947.jpg
20200618_114921.jpg
20191225_115928.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back