The future of photographic equipment (2016 and beyond)

There are actually quite a few of the Pentax digital lenses that have been tested & work fine on full frame. Then there are lenses like the Bigma/Bigmos & DFA series which are digital designs that cover FF. In addition there is a huge range of film lenses that will be usable. I've still got 2 AF models & at least 30 MF ones, even though I never used a Pentax AF film camera. I don't see much shortage of lenses.
That seems to be a general pattern with Pentax: very few new optics, just use the old stuff from the film days... same as with the Pentax 645 digital cameras, really.

Mind you, I'm not dizzing using old optics. Its just that this supply is limited.

[...] I would like to see more small cameras with 1" sensors. [...]
Suit yourself then. Personally I find their image quality insufficient. I'd much rather want a Ricoh GR with weather sealing, really.

upset about Canon winning the megapixel wars ?
They obviously arent winning.

The Canon 5Ds R that you apparently think "wins" suffers from serious issues with high ISO. Its so bad, its basically an ISO 100, maybe 200 studio / landscape with HDR on a tripod camera, to actually get those 50 Megapixels at good quality. No comparison to the Nikon D810, Pentax 645z and Sony A7r II who destroy the 5Ds R in all sensor noise related categories - Dynamic Range, Colordepth, high ISO performance.

Also I dislike the whole Megapixel fraud. Small format film has the resolution of about 6 Megapixels. Maybe 12 Megapixel, assuming ISO 50 modern film. Digital has been beyond that since ages; it STARTED with 12 Megapixel for small format, for both the Canon 5D and the Nikon D700/D3. Ever since, the demands to optics are only getting more and more riddiculous, the spot at which diffraction starts is getting lower and lower. Current APS-C cameras as well as the D810 already hit the diffraction limit when you stop them down to f/8 !

I have a D810 with oodles of image quality to spare when I'm working. When I'm at play I want a tiny camera. Heck I shoot with my cellphone half the time.

Yeah okay, I was so annoyed about the whole "Canon wins the Megapixel war" statement that I went a bit over the top in my answer.

But the Nikon D810, Sony A7r II and Pentax 645z dont only have Megapixels, but also offer excellent noise to signal - great color depth, dynamic range, and still decent high ISO.

Putting more Megapixels into a sensor is trivial - the issue is that the other sensor values wont collapse at the same time.

Yeah okay, I was so annoyed about the whole "Canon wins the Megapixel war" statement that I went a bit over the top in my answer.

yes, it is annoying that Canon is winning the megapixel wars but I've survived on less than 50 million pixels

I'd take a 12mp a7s over the 5Ds/r anyday.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back