KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Used frequently lately by those that have said or done something that requires them to make a public apology.

"I apologize for my actions (or comments) and in no way does that reflect who I am as a person."

Ya right.

A simple "I ****ed up. I'm so sorry." is all that's needed if they're truly sorry. Otherwise, it's not an apology.

Last edited by a moderator:
When people show you who they are, believe them. - Maya Angelou

Nothing truer has ever been said.

KmH said:
Used frequently lately by those that have said or done something that requires them to make a public apology.

"I apologize for my actions (or comments) and in no way does that reflect who I am as a person."

Ya right.

Might be time to brush up on psychological motivations for actions, MOST of which are based on circumstances, and not on character of the person. Given the right set of circumstances, MANY people will do things that they otherwise would not do. The dismissive "Ya right" line of thinking is pretty far off the mark in terms of modern, scientific discoveries of the past 40 years.

Look at some of the famous psychology experiments if you need proof. Imagine how college students could turn into, barbaric Nazi-like prison guards if you need just one, simple, obvious bit of proof. Have you heard, or read about The Stanford Prison Experiment?

Stanford prison experiment - Wikipedia

KmH said:

Ya right.

Might be time to brush up on psychological motivations for actions, MOST of which are based on circumstances, and not on character of the person. Given the right set of circumstances, MANY people will do things that they otherwise would not do. The dismissive "Ya right" line of thinking is pretty far off the mark in terms of modern, scientific discoveries of the past 40 years.

Look at some of the famous psychology experiments if you need proof. Imagine how college students could turn into, barbaric Nazi-like prison guards if you need just one, simple, obvious bit of proof. Have you heard, or read about The Stanford Prison Experiment?

Yikes. That's why universities have institutional review boards now. The research is valuable though, so sometimes that distinction is hard.

As far as apologies...people in public life have to apologize for things that you and I don't have to. I honestly don't expect them to be sincere.

On August 20, 1971, Zimbardo announced the end of the experiment to the participants.

The experiment's results favor situational attribution of behavior over dispositional attribution (a result caused by internal characteristics). It seemed that the situation, rather than their individual personalities, caused the participants' behavior. Using this interpretation, the results are compatible with those of the Milgram experiment, where random participants complied with orders to administer seemingly dangerous and potentially lethal electric shocks to a shill.[15]

The experiment has also been used to illustrate cognitive dissonance theory and the power of authority.

We figured this out 45 years ago...

Off-topic even for this off-topic thread for sure, but cognitive dissonance is why we such a divided country full of individual echo chambers these days.

Echo chamber (media) - Wikipedia

KmH said:

Ya right.

While that may be true and explains much ... I still find it an undesirable character that reverts to circumstantial factors and not ethics to determine one's actions. I much rather have steadfast and honorable people in position of leadership and decision making, rather than those who flip on what's right and wrong depending on the circumstances.

Ya right.
And it does reflect upon who the person is ... the actions/comments may not reflect upon who the person wants us to think they are.

Gotta love it when scientific knowledge goes out the window in favor of homilies and put-downs.

Last I heard tell, the earth is flat.

Echo chamber city. No room for scientific knowledge that dates to the early 1970's. Dangerous thing those college edumacations. Folk wisdom all the way baby.

From the echo chamber article, an excerpt: "Online social communities are fragmented when like-minded people group together and members hear arguments in one specific direction. Social networking communities are powerful reinforcers of rumors[6]because people trust evidence supplied by their own social group, more than they do the news media.[7] This can create significant barriers to critical discourse within an online medium. Social discussion and sharing suffer when people have a narrow information base and don’t reach outside their network."

Enjoy your self-reinforcing discussion. This is a wonderful example of a pure, old-school troll post. Seriously. Time to kill this hit-and-run kind of posting. Call something "a lie", then run, and hide, and watch the replies to the troll post come in.Time to bail out of this thread now.

Last edited:
Gotta love it when scientific knowledge goes out the window in favor of homilies and put-downs.

Last I heard tell, the earth is flat.

Echo chamber city. No room for scientific knowledge that dates to the early 1970's. Dangerous thing those college edumacations. Folk wisdom all the way baby.

From the echo chamber article, an excerpt: "Online social communities are fragmented when like-minded people group together and members hear arguments in one specific direction. Social networking communities are powerful reinforcers of rumors[6]because people trust evidence supplied by their own social group, more than they do the news media.[7] This can create significant barriers to critical discourse within an online medium. Social discussion and sharing suffer when people have a narrow information base and don’t reach outside their network."

Enjoy your self-reinforcing discussion. This is a wonderful example of a pure, old-school troll post. Seriously. Time to kill this hit-and-run kind of posting. Call something "a lie", then run, and hide, and watch the replies to the troll post come in.Time to bail out of this thread now.
For those of us whose diplomas are from "The School of Hard Knocks" and "The Kindergarten of Getting the S**t Kicked Out of You" could you explain your position in words of one syllable or less?

On August 20, 1971, Zimbardo announced the end of the experiment to the participants.

The experiment's results favor situational attribution of behavior over dispositional attribution (a result caused by internal characteristics). It seemed that the situation, rather than their individual personalities, caused the participants' behavior. Using this interpretation, the results are compatible with those of the Milgram experiment, where random participants complied with orders to administer seemingly dangerous and potentially lethal electric shocks to a shill.[15]

The experiment has also been used to illustrate cognitive dissonance theory and the power of authority.

We figured this out 45 years ago...

Those experiments are mostly banned now. Pretty interesting stuff though. Shows how deep the Rabbit Hole can be.
There were recent experiments at a Canadian university that were shut down ( I have no proof and am going on memory of TV media) as it was basically torture testing subjects in ice baths. Not fake electrical shock.... real...... extreme

Its frigging cold outside.

Noappologiesneeded

Ah! Psychology.
The most un-quantifiable and un-qualitative medical pursuit of any in medicine.
Let me put my hip boots on so I don't soil my pants.
Psychology - Wikipedia

In the heat of the moment, in a rare moment of un-guarded total honesty, or when a person's public facade is rendered inoperative drugs of various kinds, we get to see the real person.

The Milgram experiment is not germane to the original topic.

My other favorite Psychology canard is - learning styles.
Please.

Most reactions

Back