These just "Rock" !!

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Smooth Basalt, that is.... A narrow canyon where the Big Wood River has carved out some beautiful forms and shapes from the Volcanic Basalt ... Just a spooky, wonderous place to be...

6604719491_4537767a3a_b.jpg

6604728833_46e94b6271_b.jpg

Looks like sculptured flowers.

OMG the shapes. O_O
Awesome stuff.

I do find the DoF in the first photo to be kind of strange. I wish the entire foreground and background was in focus. :(

These look really neat - thanks for sharing. As a geologist, before I retired, I never cease to be amazed at the things that nature can create from some rocks when you throw a bit of water into the picture. From the looks of these, a lot of water was thrown into the picture.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

What a sweet spot to shoot photos and create some abstract art pieces. I could spend hours in a place like that watching the shadows and light change amongst the shapes and textures. It would be nice to see something in one shot to get a sense of scale, got anything like that of them?

I like the photos - hell I'd like to go there and take some photos if I lived on the same continent ;)

However it looks like you have the AF turned on and a wide aperture. The camera has gone and focused on something further away than it should and as a result all the finer detail in the foreground is lost and looks blurry.

My suggestion would be to try setting the focus 1/3 in and use a narrower aperture with a low ISO. with narrow apertures and low ISOs a tripod is a must! You want that camera as still as possible for a sharp image.

Those are some really interesting shapes, they're screaming black and white to me! In fact, it says I can edit your photos so I might give it a go!

How about this:

bnwrock.jpg

I wish I could get some shots as good as this!

I like the photos - hell I'd like to go there and take some photos if I lived on the same continent ;)

However it looks like you have the AF turned on and a wide aperture. The camera has gone and focused on something further away than it should and as a result all the finer detail in the foreground is lost and looks blurry.

My suggestion would be to try setting the focus 1/3 in and use a narrower aperture with a low ISO. with narrow apertures and low ISOs a tripod is a must! You want that camera as still as possible for a sharp image.

I agree, and I had plans on taking the tripod down with me ...... Once I reached the edge, and I had to rappel down about 30 feet, I decided to leave the 'pod' up on the cliff... Next time I'll take my tripod and get it strapped well to my pack.. Just got a Calumet BP 1500 large backpack, and once stuffed with most of my stuff, it weighs about 45 pounds !! This is a monster!! - Next time I'll pull out some stuff and take a tripod down with me - the lighting is really wierd down there. Next time I go, I want to go when it just snowed a ton.... The lighting will be incredible, and it should be a little easier to walk on that bottom stuff - this trip it was raining, and the slick rocks were almost suicidial.. The wife keeps reminding me that she dzn't want the "Life Flight" chopper to be bringing me home, but some of the best shots are just a little .... 'out of the way'.. ;-)

Here are a few more..

thanks,

r

6610751185_dbe2086495_b.jpg

6610739033_37423ceb53_b.jpg

Most reactions

Back