Things to do in winter

hahaha thanks for the replys - as is happens i already have a female, (and a long lens ;)) so maybe i should send her to along to modeling school haha.
btw scribe - you would be failry hard pressed to find an ashtray in a bar here as smoking in bars is banned :p

Since I don't work and the weather is REALLY crappy here in Connecticut during the winter. (it rains a lot but its frozen ;) ). I went to a couple of Art Galleries. I had a good time and learned a few things. I posted the results here:

At The Art Gallery

Gordon77..... I'm sitting here smiling, as it is mid-summer and 90°F outside. However, our winters here are cold, nasty, and miserable for photographers. I've been dealing with this for the last 37 years. Heres a few things I do to keep from going crazy.

Set up a tripod over your kitchen table and try some macro photo work.

Buy your girl friend some flowers and then practice still life shots with her and or the flowers.

Set up a 'target' at one end of the house and then slap on all of your lenses and really check out their various abilities for lighting and DOF

Do a detailed photo record of each room and ALL your possessions.

Do a weekly/daily shot from the same place precisely and track the season changes out you window.

Do your own or visit a friend who has an aquarium. Find out how to shoot through glass.

When and if the weather breaks, shoot snow scenes (it ain't as easy as you might think).

And.....yes you can shoot when the weather is COLD. keep a spare battery inside a shirt pocket. Your camera will work just fine in weather that is too cold for YOU.

The only REALLY IMPORTANT thing to remember is to put your camera in a 'zip-lock' bag BEFORE you come back inside. Condensation can cause havoc eventually. Let it 'normalize' for while while you are warming up yourself.

PM me for other stuff.

Good Shooting

i live in New Zealand and its the middle of winter here, the weather is sooo so so crap you wouldnt believe lol it rains every day.

Do you live near any mountains (stupid question, I know... most of NZ is covered with em)... what I means is ones that are accessible? Snow and ice are always good subjects. Know any friends who ski or snowboard? You could team up with them.

How about ice climbers?

How about taking some workplace pictures... an industrial plant, bakery or kitchen. Or, you could go out to a farm and shoot a bunch of pictures about farming in the rain... you might be able to find a sheep or two if you look closely ;)

WARNING: bad weather can cause fantastic photos!

You certainly don´t need to be stuck inside...get out there, into the parks, forests, rivers, mountains, beaches and so on. Even the cities.
There´s a ton of opportunity there that others would love to have.

Where do you live?

Good grief mate...you´re talking about MY homeland...!!! :spank:

You could always move to Los Angeles. Here we only have 2 seasons, Summer and Hotter Summer :)

Then this must be the early part of summer there. I just checked the forecast there for the next five days and 84 seems to be the highest temperature for the week and that won't come till Sunday. :lol:
http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/Los_Angeles.html

Trade you. Our lowest daytime temp for the week is supposed to be 82 with 89 as the highest. We even managed to hit 90 yesterday. And before someone in Phoenix chimes in, yes your temps are supposed to be in the three digit area all week. Wanna buy some sun screen?:wink:

hmmmmm . . . i'm pretty sure i've had some near 100 days here in thailand.

i love shooting in the winter . . . well, the results at least (it sucks after the cold seeps through the layers)

just find something different about the weather and exploit it in your photographs, anything out of the norm

hey thanks jon - i will try some of those things :) i live in Auckland in the north island so there isnt really much snow around here apart from the indoor snow park, maybe i should go there? and yes we just had a major storm come through and wipe out the far north region haha and i was just up there on the weekend with mates too - got some interesting beach shots on the sunday morning but was too intoxicated to get the horizon straight :p nothing a bit of ps cant fix hehe. my house does look out over the west part of auckland so i could document the change of the season indoors which is awesome lol. im not sure how to convert to farenhite (spelling) but to give u an idea its about 6 degres outside now at 5:50am and maybe lucky to get up to 14 oh and thats before the 100kph winds blow the cold through you :S

oh and for the mountains there are some out west but the main ones in the city are volcanoes, i think there are 52 in our city :D

this was taken the day before the storm hit the north at a place called Oakura Bay

OakuraBay.jpg

Crikey mate...what I said...more of that stuff and you´re cooking with gas!

You´re in my hometown even....get up there on Mt Eden (have a coffee at Circus Circus while you´re there!), and into the Waitak´s...Piha, Lion Rock, Karekare...shoot down into the bays when the storms are rolling in. Not even Edward Weston never had landscapes so good to play in.

Get into it.

Try doing some table top shots on those rainy days.

Most reactions

Back